Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 AM

50,238 posts, read 23,866,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
So, will Black Panther be the first African-American (Superhero) centered film to break $1 Billion at the box office? IMO, I'm thinking not, but will be pretty close. Unfortunately, I don't see black super-heros being all that popular with anyone outside of western society. Especially in the Asian market, which takes up a huge chunk of the international movie gross.

Regardless, I hope it does well enough to garner a sequel and move from a C-list character to an A-list character. Chadwick is a pretty good actor and I pray he plays the character well along with the supporting cast.
I'm an old white guy, but I will go to see the film for 2 reasons -- 2 of the best younger actors around -- Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan. Both impress me both as actors and in interviews.

As to wanting a sequel, I would think you'd want to see an original before deciding whether or not there should be a sequel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 11:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,552,891 times
Who cares
Not a movie I really have on my must watch list

Old 01-20-2018, 04:16 PM

10,309 posts, read 3,912,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Black Panther is the first or second big budget, modern day Black superhero film. The other, Hancock (2008), grossed $400million overseas. BP is the second most anticipated film of 2018, and is tracking accordingly. Like Wonder Wonder, it could be a breakout movie. Unlike WW (and DCEU, for that matter), BP is expected to be good. And of course, it has the brand power of Marvel/Disney.
Wonder Woman is a good movie, one of the highest rated movies in 2017.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017

Old 01-20-2018, 04:21 PM

10,309 posts, read 3,912,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The question is will a show about an African king in the MCU draw in Chinese like a blond Captain America or an Iron Man whose arch enemy had to be white washed away not to offend Mandarins. With a billion dollars as the cut off probably not, the blond God of Thunder was not making that cut off either.

Will Disney be impressed enough to allow the Black Panther to continue, maybe as part of the new big three after after Downey, Hemsworth, and Evans retire their roles, with new mutant and Fantastic Four toys becoming available? I think he does.
I think so. Right now, China is undergoing major funding and building of Africa's infrastructure, and I think the Chinese might be interested in this. Not to mention, I am assuming that the Chinese MCU fans have just as much invested in the stories as the USA, so why wouldn't they go? Only thing I can see holding this back if it's too serious, because the Chinese do like some comedy in their movies. It's why Ironman is so popular.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:07 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,977,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I think so. Right now, China is undergoing major funding and building of Africa's infrastructure, and I think the Chinese might be interested in this. Not to mention, I am assuming that the Chinese MCU fans have just as much invested in the stories as the USA, so why wouldn't they go? Only thing I can see holding this back if it's too serious, because the Chinese do like some comedy in their movies. It's why Ironman is so popular.
And Thor: Ragnarok too:

Thor: Ragnarok' rules China's box office

Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,977,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Who cares
Not a movie I really have on my must watch list
lol And that's like me going to the Insidious thread and posting the same thing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/movie...-last-key.html

Old 01-21-2018, 08:25 AM

17,720 posts, read 13,435,574 times
My hope for this movie is that it's not one of those 70's movies where white people are bad and blacks are good. I don't believe Marvel would do such a thing at least I hope not.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:32 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,017,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My hope for this movie is that it's not one of those 70's movies where white people are bad and blacks are good. I don't believe Marvel would do such a thing at least I hope not.
I think one antagonist is white (Andy Serkis) and one antagonist is black (Michael B. Jordan). But even if the main antagonist were white, I highly doubt the motive would be race related. We won't even go there.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,417,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I think one antagonist is white (Andy Serkis) and one antagonist is black (Michael B. Jordan). But even if the main antagonist were white, I highly doubt the motive would be race related. We won't even go there.
From what I understand, the Serkis character is from the overall comic book universe. He connects this story to everything else. The main villain is the Michael B. Jordan character.

This is not a white vs Black movie. Plus, there are a ton of movies with Black bad guys. Can't both races be either the protagonist or antagonist?

Old 01-21-2018, 02:18 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,579,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
From what I understand, the Serkis character is from the overall comic book universe. He connects this story to everything else. The main villain is the Michael B. Jordan character.

This is not a white vs Black movie. Plus, there are a ton of movies with Black bad guys. Can't both races be either the protagonist or antagonist?
Absolutely. In fact, that's the basis of the new show Black Lightning (based on the DC Comics character created by Tony Isabella in the '70s): black superhero takes on black thugs in his city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies