Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,422,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Absolutely. In fact, that's the basis of the new show Black Lightning (based on the DC Comics character created by Tony Isabella in the '70s): black superhero takes on black thugs in his city.
Are they Black thugs or are they thugs, who just happen to be Black? Thugs come in all races and colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,581,608 times
A: All of the above.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 PM

29,443 posts, read 22,374,044 times
As mentioned already, Black Panther is not the 'first' black centered super hero/comic book movie. Multiple movies have featured black super heroes in years gone by (it's revisionist history, like saying Wonder Woman was the first female super hero/comic book movie).

5 BLACK SUPERHERO MOVIES THAT CAME BEFORE BLACK PANTHER.

(Catwoman is missing from that above list).

As far as 1 billion, only 32 movies have ever crossed that threshold, and I don't really see Black Panther reaching that figure.

Movies that have made $1 billion at the box office - INSIDER

Old 01-25-2018, 10:03 PM

29,443 posts, read 22,374,044 times
On the bright side, Black Panther is tracking really well for a huge domestic opening weekend.

Black Panther Box Office Estimates Hit $120 Million | Collider

Old 01-26-2018, 06:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,788,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As mentioned already, Black Panther is not the 'first' black centered super hero/comic book movie. Multiple movies have featured black super heroes in years gone by (it's revisionist history, like saying Wonder Woman was the first female super hero/comic book movie).

5 BLACK SUPERHERO MOVIES THAT CAME BEFORE BLACK PANTHER.

(Catwoman is missing from that above list).

As far as 1 billion, only 32 movies have ever crossed that threshold, and I don't really see Black Panther reaching that figure.

Movies that have made $1 billion at the box office - INSIDER
I have mentioned this several times as well. They have commented back that the previous black superhero films don't really count because they came before the recent avenger-era MCU, which is the standard for blockbuster superhero movies now. And since Black Panther is the first solo black MCU character (avenger era, because Blade is MCU and Storm and several other black marvel and DC characters exist), that is why they are celebrating BP as the first black superhero movie. I just like BP in general and the actors in the movie, so I am pumped to see it, and am not thinking about it as a black superhero film, just an awesome superhero film.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:39 PM

28,576 posts, read 18,602,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have mentioned this several times as well. They have commented back that the previous black superhero films don't really count because they came before the recent avenger-era MCU, which is the standard for blockbuster superhero movies now. And since Black Panther is the first solo black MCU character (avenger era, because Blade is MCU and Storm and several other black marvel and DC characters exist), that is why they are celebrating BP as the first black superhero movie. I just like BP in general and the actors in the movie, so I am pumped to see it, and am not thinking about it as a black superhero film, just an awesome superhero film.
I rankle at the expressions of "finally" as though it were a social milestone. As you said, there were other black superhero films in "earlier movie eras," and the Black Panther movie was revealed very early to be on the docket in the MCU era, so there it's not any kind of social milestone.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:55 AM

406 posts, read 287,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Wonder Woman is a good movie, one of the highest rated movies in 2017.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017
Of course, I was saying that DCEU set a bad precedent leading up to Wonder Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My hope for this movie is that it's not one of those 70's movies where white people are bad and blacks are good. I don't believe Marvel would do such a thing at least I hope not.
Opps, Black Panther and Wakanda represent a rejection of white imperialism.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:19 AM

406 posts, read 287,112 times
Black Panther is a generational event. It is afrocentric and afrofuturistic, from black creators on a big budget. That's a first.

Last edited by the happy guy; 01-27-2018 at 04:36 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 05:01 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,440,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Black Panther is the first or second big budget, modern day Black superhero film. The other, Hancock (2008), grossed $400million overseas. BP is the second most anticipated film of 2018, and is tracking accordingly. Like Wonder Wonder, it could be a breakout movie. Unlike WW (and DCEU, for that matter), BP is expected to be good. And of course, it has the brand power of Marvel/Disney.
Hancock was awesome! Just watched that again recently.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:52 AM

22,853 posts, read 28,097,643 times
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-re...vel-1822541168

The First Reactions to Black Panther Sound Like Marvel Has Crowned a New King
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies