U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times

Advertisements

What was the timeline of the movie? Less than 24 hours? How much should personal development can a person make in 24 hours while in the middle of a firefight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:56 PM

5,595 posts, read 2,431,774 times
^Yes, the movie takes place mostly "in real time."

Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 PM

667 posts, read 233,127 times
Die Hard is considered a classic because it was the first movie that had an action hero who actually looked and acted like a normal human being. Before this movie, action heroes were practically superhuman. They never broke a sweat or mussed a hair, no matter what. They barely suffered any injuries and were completely unflappable. McClain actually bled, suffered pain and looked miserable the entire time like a regular person would, and he got dirtier and bloodier as the movie went along.

I think the scene that put the movie on the map and made it a classic was the one where he had to walk across broken glass in his bare feet. Something like that had never, ever been done before in an action movie and has never been done since, where we get to see the action hero physically suffer his way through the film.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 PM

2,964 posts, read 970,099 times
But I feel there are action movies before Die Hard where people suffered, and you just have to know where to look, don't you? Lethal Weapon came out before and the two guys looked pretty banged up after being captured and having to fight.

And Runaway Train came out before that which also had it.

I like how in Die Hard the main character got beat up and acted like a normal human being, that was the good part. I just felt there were other weaknesses in the movie, that I pointed out. I didn't think that the whole normal human being thing, elevated this movie to such a superstatus on that alone.

Also you say that McClane bled and sufffered pain, but after that broken glass incident, he was fighting Karl, and then running up the stairs, jumping off the roof, kicking in the window, etc.

He recovered from that broken glass in the feet quite quickly I felt.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But I feel there are action movies before Die Hard where people suffered, and you just have to know where to look, don't you? Lethal Weapon came out before and the two guys looked pretty banged up after being captured and having to fight.

And Runaway Train came out before that which also had it.

I like how in Die Hard the main character got beat up and acted like a normal human being, that was the good part. I just felt there were other weaknesses in the movie, that I pointed out. I didn't think that the whole normal human being thing, elevated this movie to such a superstatus on that alone.

Also you say that McClane bled and sufffered pain, but after that broken glass incident, he was fighting Karl, and then running up the stairs, jumping off the roof, kicking in the window, etc.

Realistically--if that's where we want to go with this--most of us would have just laid down and stopped moving about halfway through the action.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 PM

2,964 posts, read 970,099 times
That's true . Yeah I like that McClane suffered, I just felt some of his decision making was not smart or logical, along with Robinsons.

Plus Thornberg seemed like such an unnecessary character who slows the suspense down with his subplot, whenever they cut to it I felt.

Those were the only things that brought it down to a more routine or average action movie for me more so, but maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

But McClane's suffering I had no problem with. But for best action movie ever, he's not really given much of a powerful character arc, and neither is Hans. I mean McClane doesn't see the forest for the trees, when it comes to his relationship, and doing so is his arc, but we've seen that arc before like in Rear Window, and Die Hard is kind of like Rear Window with action sequences.

But I guess that's not really as bad of a thing.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:03 AM

5,595 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Quote:
Endorphins.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 AM

417 posts, read 189,885 times
Great movie. Hans Gruber top 5 bad guy

Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 PM

904 posts, read 406,869 times
Quote:
I guess I just saw it as a mostly routine action movie, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't see why it's considered to be one of the greatest movies of all time. It is true that it never goes out of flavor, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

But there are a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches out there, just like how they are a lot of action movies in a similar tone to Die Hard, so why is this particular peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the Citizen Kane compared to all the rest?
In college, I watched the film with many students of Irish ethnicity. I had the strong impression the lead character's
Irish surname and ethnicity had a lot to do with their reverence for the film. But the villain was also memorable for its
time - a younger version of Severus Snapes. There were also two other antagonists well-known to 80s
teens - the immoral reporter and the inefficient cop. They were on other 80s films that appealed to
college students of the time: Breakfast Club (assistant principal for the latter), Real Genius (Dr. Jerry Hathaway) and
Ghostbusters (environmental inspector) for the former.

Back then I knew hyper-obsessed Notre Dame fans who also liked the film for the ND-USC scene in the background
when ND was actually good in football in the Holtz era (LOL - albeit with steroids).

The running joke in modern times seems to be that it is a "classic Christmas film". I like that. I just
thought it was a fun movie to watch during study breaks back in college. Those guys in my dorm watched
it every week during my sophomore year. It was hilarious looking back. It's a great film for "catch" phrases
and movie quotes. It's a great film for many of those 80s teens to reminisce about from a time before many
became middle-aged and divorced.

Last edited by grad_student200; 01-16-2018 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or