U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 AM

8,071 posts, read 3,896,137 times

Advertisements

Anyone seen this? Thoughts? Comments?

(I'm interested in comments from people who have actually seen the movie, not those looking for another excuse to whine about how much they despise Streep. We get it. Move on, so we can keep the thread on topic.)

I wanted to love this, but in the end I just liked it. All of the performances were outstanding (though I felt that Graham was played a bit on the wimpy side) but it all felt a little cold and clinical to me. The story slogged along fairly slowly in some parts.

The critics seem to love this one, but I wonder how much of that is because they are part of the choir being preached to.

A very timely message though ... "In the First Amendment the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors"

Last edited by hertfordshire; 01-14-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 11:13 AM

9,677 posts, read 5,674,281 times
Really liked it. Having worked in a newspaper, and my dad heading the press room I really liked the nostalgia of a newspaper in the thick of things and not fighting for it's survival like the reality of today. The obvious dismissal of the owner due to her gender by her own board members, and how she handles this is worth the price of admission. Great supporting actors which bring spice to the story. Tension in a pay phone call. Clandestine meetings. And the opening Credence to get you in the mood.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:22 AM

3,530 posts, read 1,311,997 times
I haven't seen this yet, but am intrigued purely because it has a tenuous link to "All the President's Men" (1976), which involved the Post, Ben Bradlee and Graham (in name only). I do like political dramas, but it would also be good to learn some backstory of Bradlee & Graham.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 PM

27,552 posts, read 45,018,330 times
This is what I wrote in the "latest movie seen" thread"
And I would agree that having worked on a newspaper (short time, in college, very small town paper) it was intriguing to see the physical and frankly awe-inspiring machinery required to put out a paper--
Watching the Linotype machines create the type used to set the stories derived from the creative artistry of reporters from the raw material of the Pentagon Papers themselves was a blend of man and machine that today's software and vastly easier--but not necessarily better--method for bringing the news just doesn't match...

Would I watch this again--always one of my favorite standards for how I rate a freshly-viewed movie...I have to say...I would not watch it for Tom Hank's...in fact the most memorable scenes for me are those with Streep's Graham facing her board in large or small ensembles and watching Bob Odenkirk's performance...
I think this is one of the least memorable parts Hanks has had...
I enjoyed him in "Bridge of Spies" and almost everything else but not really this...

Saw "The Post"
Thought Streep was excellent--tremulous is not something she has to do much in movies but this performance reminded me of her quality in first piece I saw her in---a miniseries about the Holocaust--as a German girl who married a Jewish boy and tried to protect him, even going so far as to let Nazi guards abuse her so she could visit him...
Her Graham struck true to the heart of the woman who was finding her metier at a critical time for her paper and America...
Thought Bob Odenkirk would have been better as Ben Bradlee who was only 5'6"
Hanks seemed too busy and his accent wandered...
Didn't recognize Alison Brie frankly--she really has sort of lost her way with the parts she has lately
Bruce Greenwood was good as McNamara---
Matthew Rhys was Ellsberg --a rather truncated role---
Yes Ellsberg was critical to the Pentagon Papers and probably only adjunct to the Post's story but Rhys is such a good actor a bigger part for him would have benefitted everyone....

Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 PM

19,888 posts, read 10,572,694 times
Wow, Streep did a phenomenal acting job in this movie. She nailed the reality of her character just perfect. Anyone who grew up in this era will love this movie.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:53 PM

6,799 posts, read 2,636,042 times
I saw it yesterday and I can tell you the audience, myself included, really liked it.

What was disheartening and will stick with you is that so many presidents, in succession, kept sending American boys into a war they knew they couldn't win. Heartbreaking.

This movie is certainly a win for first amendment rights, and about knocks out the very last little bit of respect I had for Nixon.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:17 PM

19,888 posts, read 10,572,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I saw it yesterday and I can tell you the audience, myself included, really liked it.

What was disheartening and will stick with you is that so many presidents, in succession, kept sending American boys into a war they knew they couldn't win. Heartbreaking.

This movie is certainly a win for first amendment rights, and about knocks out the very last little bit of respect I had for Nixon.
The wisdom of the SCOTUS decision from the movie “the press serves the governed, not the governors” almost made me cry.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM

9,677 posts, read 5,674,281 times
what was disappointing was jumanji was playing next door and was so loud it distracted from the post's doalogue. and duirng the credits the cleaning crew turned on all of the lights. told this to the manger and she didn't seem interested one bit, so i wrote to century / cinemark corporate and got a response from the theater's general manager apologizing and addressing both issues, and he's mailing me a free movie pass.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 PM

27,552 posts, read 45,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The wisdom of the SCOTUS decision from the movie “the press serves the governed, not the governors” almost made me cry.
And did you note that the solicitor general who argues for the US--meaning against the right to print--was William Renquist--a future justice himself....
Thought there was lot of irony in that pairing

Old 01-22-2018, 08:14 PM

18,916 posts, read 12,513,229 times
I thought Rehnquist was Attorney General.

That was really Richard M Nixon’s voice.

I enjoyed Streep and Hanks. I thought all the acting was good, esp Odenkirk playing Bagdivikian.

I remember Damiel Ellsberg, but I thought his name was known earlier in the scandal. I do remember my hometown paper publishing part of the Pentagon Papers.

We both enjoyed the ‘70s references and atmosphere. It is a well made, old fashioned movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies