U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 07:19 AM

25,775 posts, read 44,072,840 times

Advertisements

Saw this last night
Very disappointed after looking forward to seeing it---my husband especially
Have seen other Cooper films---"Out of the Furnace" I thought was much better movie even if maybe not as theoretically difficult/creative (like the use of native dialect) as "Hostiles"...
I have seen many movies with Native American/violence on the frontier themes and NA actors and movies w/other ethnicities cast in those roles--
This movie is flawed in several ways--and has pulled various plot elements from other movies w/NA themes
so there is little truly "unique" or "ground breaking" about it--

Beware a move that takes itself too seriously--
for example, the night scene between Jesse Plemon's young Lt and M/Sgt Metz (played w/an Irish accent--go figure)--very stage-y and if that Sgt had as much experience on the frontier as he is supposed to have--
that conversation never would have happened--

Bale/Blocker's anguish on being given his mission --another example of overkill
It is to Bale's credit that he manages to rise about the limitations of the script and invest his character with a force/humanity that commands the scene and often times compels the audience to overlook the script's flaws because there is really little reason for him to undergo his character's 180 degree adjustment...

Pike manages to look elegant no matter how much gore spatters her...note how good her hands look--
Not very realistic for a woman living an isolated, harsh life on the frontier for who knows how long...
And not the same attention to detail I noted w/Bale/Blocker's uniform that grows more worn as the film draws to a close...

For a film supposedly sympathetic to Native Americans and including Wes Studi and Adam Beach there are no scenes with simply Yellow Hawk and his family---everything flows from the "white man's" perspective...

Cooper had the elements to make a much better film---his flaws are stronger than his strengths, unfortunately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 PM

31,433 posts, read 17,038,538 times
Saw it this afternoon and felt drained at the end of it.

Just SO much needless death.

But the cinematography is excellent, the scenery is grand, and you come away with an appreciation for how hard life in the old west no doubt was for those who moved away from civilization into the vast wilderness.

All that said, I thought it was a good film.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM

20,030 posts, read 13,489,667 times
This is a script that could fit almost every battle ever fought/ideology ever fought for. I think that's the point.

The utter destruction war/hate
(you certainly wouldn't kill those you love, right?!) yields. No real winners. And the only overcoming happened through forgiveness.

Of course there are exceptions.

Most wars come about through, and sanctioned because of, the love of money.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 PM

10,188 posts, read 11,320,236 times
Watched this tonight. Plodding, boring, predictable. One of the worst "westerns" I've ever seen.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:28 AM

2,554 posts, read 1,308,010 times
Very very disappointing

Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 AM

9,883 posts, read 17,867,707 times
They could’ve taken a train from New Mexico to Montana. After all, the movie is set in 1892.

And the notion of hostile Comanches roaming around in 1892 is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies