U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2018, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,409 posts, read 14,500,015 times
Reputation: 9215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Too much off topic

We (70s seniors) went to see it today w/our 6 yr old grandson and his mom
We all liked it and laughed
It wasn't too violent for the grandson
It was funny --
Paul Rudd is not a very macho guy and the script/action takes advantage of that fact--
The troubles w/his suit--the back and forth between huge and miniaturized likely does very well in the IMAX version--gives my husband headache so we went to the regular screening
.Rudd/AntMan is probably one of the most compassionate super heroes around
Likely because his powers come from his suit and not his innate abilities--like other superheroes--so that is a valuable lesson to discuss with younger children

I would see it again--and I don't usually enjoy most of the superhero movies--
I didn't like Black Panther that much FWIW and didn't bother to see Thor Ragnarok
I agree with a lot of what you said which is why it works very well. And YES, it is very much worth the IMAX surcharge for the Quantum Realm scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2018, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,380 posts, read 1,217,986 times
Reputation: 2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
My argument is simple. Black Panther is the highest rated superhero movie of all time yet when you actually watch it, the ratings don't match the movie.

That's called overrated.

It has a 97% on rottentomatoes, higher than The Dark Knight, Captain America Civil War, and the first Iron Man. That's insanely laughable.

Antman is not overrated and it accomplishes it's expectation: action and comedy. Black Panther does not because people gave it a "Citizens Kane rating."
NO!!! That is a completely different argument you are making now. This weak argument of yours started when I said Ant Man/Wasp was okay, but not great compared to the first (which is MY opinion and not gospel anyway), yet you for some reason felt the need to respond and said "This was another perfect Marvel movie as evidence by it's favorable reviews from all critics."

That was my whole reason for bringing up Black Panther, which has higher favorable reviews from critics than Ant Man/Wasp, yet you didn't consider a "perfect Marvel movie," so NOW you have CHANGED your argument to "My argument is simple. Black Panther is the highest rated superhero movie of all time yet when you actually watch it, the ratings don't match the movie."

You're running in circles, and I'm done wasting my time with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 02:20 PM
 
27,478 posts, read 44,959,956 times
Reputation: 14046
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
NO!!! That is a completely different argument you are making now. This weak argument of yours started when I said Ant Man/Wasp was okay, but not great compared to the first (which is MY opinion and not gospel anyway), yet you for some reason felt the need to respond and said "This was another perfect Marvel movie as evidence by it's favorable reviews from all critics."

That was my whole reason for bringing up Black Panther, which has higher favorable reviews from critics than Ant Man/Wasp, yet you didn't consider a "perfect Marvel movie," so NOW you have CHANGED your argument to "My argument is simple. Black Panther is the highest rated superhero movie of all time yet when you actually watch it, the ratings don't match the movie."

You're running in circles, and I'm done wasting my time with you!
Plus it is OFF-TOPIC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 AM
 
18,111 posts, read 16,453,088 times
Reputation: 9748
Black Panther was the recipient of fake reviews, pure and simple. They didn't want a movie that was only marginally successful so they hyped the crap out of it for the sake of the studio. Mad Max The Road Warrior and the Star Wars flicks , same story. Watch BP and much of it is excruciatingly bad or boring. The hackneyed technopolitical gibberish. The accents, especially. It was just a strange movie.
Compare it to Marvel films like The Avengers, the original Ant Man and Guardians Of The Galaxy and Thor Ragnorok. Those were fun movies and not at all pretentious or dull.
Fake news and now fake reviews. This is the age in which we live. Just don't believe what you're told and make up your minds on what you see and hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 PM
 
5,596 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Reputation: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Black Panther was the recipient of fake reviews, pure and simple. They didn't want a movie that was only marginally successful so they hyped the crap out of it for the sake of the studio. Mad Max The Road Warrior and the Star Wars flicks , same story. Watch BP and much of it is excruciatingly bad or boring. The hackneyed technopolitical gibberish. The accents, especially. It was just a strange movie.
Compare it to Marvel films like The Avengers, the original Ant Man and Guardians Of The Galaxy and Thor Ragnorok. Those were fun movies and not at all pretentious or dull.
Fake news and now fake reviews. This is the age in which we live.
"The snake eating its own tail." Ragnarok was similarly the recipient of extremely positive reviews. The movie incorporates far too much silly humor for one that glosses over the genocide of the Asgardian people and the death of Odin.

Ant-Man wasn't pretentious, but it wasn't too thrilling. Shallow movie. But again, very positive reviews.

The first Guardians is a very solid sci-fi actioner, but the second one is a complete piece o' crap. You guessed it: GLOWING reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Just don't believe what you're told and make up your minds on what you see and hear.
Well, yeah. That's what I always say. But people continue to refer to those Tomatoes scores.

P.S. Fury Road deserves its acclaim, more so than any movie mentioned in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 PM
 
17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Reputation: 17400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Black Panther was the recipient of fake reviews, pure and simple. They didn't want a movie that was only marginally successful so they hyped the crap out of it for the sake of the studio. Mad Max The Road Warrior and the Star Wars flicks , same story. Watch BP and much of it is excruciatingly bad or boring. The hackneyed technopolitical gibberish. The accents, especially. It was just a strange movie.
Compare it to Marvel films like The Avengers, the original Ant Man and Guardians Of The Galaxy and Thor Ragnorok. Those were fun movies and not at all pretentious or dull.
Fake news and now fake reviews. This is the age in which we live. Just don't believe what you're told and make up your minds on what you see and hear.
Must have been fake money buying fake tickets, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Reputation: 17201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
P.S. Fury Road deserves its acclaim, more so than any movie mentioned in this post.
For visual spectacle? Yes.

For story? No. There isn't one. It's just a long chase scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM
 
5,596 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Reputation: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
For visual spectacle? Yes.

For story? No. There isn't one. It's just a long chase scene.
There's a story. Watch it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Reputation: 17201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There's a story. Watch it again.
Life is too short to watch a bad movie twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 05:23 PM
 
5,596 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Reputation: 3177
"Bad" movie? You must be thinking of Warlock: The Armageddon.

Btw, I picked up the new Blu-ray of Another Wolf Cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top