Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:18 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Unlikely, Rogue One was a dog from hell.
I think Rogue One is one of the top three Star Wars movies, and I'm not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think Rogue One is one of the top three Star Wars movies, and I'm not alone.
Easily better than anything released after 1980. And probably on par with Empire.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Easily better than anything released after 1980. And probably on par with Empire.
Nothing besides Jurassic Park is as good as my favorite movie ever made.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Nothing besides Jurassic Park is as good as my favorite movie ever made.
Jurassic Park is an overrated movie. I actually like World better (though it's not that much better, apart from the great VFX).

Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
ROGUE ONE is definitely one of the better STAR WARS films, but it ain't flawless. The hero is severely under-developed, and it's pretty obvious the movie was started by one director, who was fired, then finished by another.

But man, is it gorgeous. By far the best-looking STAR WARS movie to date.

And I really appreciated the attempt to dare to be different. No Jedi. No lightsabers. And a poignant ending. Do more like this please!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
ROGUE ONE is definitely one of the better STAR WARS films, but it ain't flawless.
Neither is Empire, for that matter.

Quote:
The hero is severely under-developed,
Chirrut ÃŽmwe is just fine.

Quote:
and it's pretty obvious the movie was started by one director, who was fired, then finished by another.
Hey, at least it ain't Josstice League, where the differences are so jarring you want to check your seat to make sure you didn't sit on peanut butter as part of some in-joke by WB.

Quote:
But man, is it gorgeous. By far the best-looking STAR WARS movie to date.
Yup!

Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
ROGUE ONE is definitely one of the better STAR WARS films, but it ain't flawless. The hero is severely under-developed,
I think that's a bogus complaint. It's a war movie. Rarely is the hero in such movies well developed. The plot is about the mission, not the characters. The same is true about caper movies and heist movies.

Dirty Dozen: No better developed characters.

The Great Escape: No better developed characters.

The Guns of Navaone: No better developed characters.

Saving Private Ryan: No better developed characters.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:56 PM

Some early reviews say the movie is a caper with zilcho stakes and a throwaway (my word) villain.

Also: "brings seriously needed humor to the MCU."

HUH?? That's not what the MCU needs more of.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:56 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Neither is Empire, for that matter.
Nope. But New Hope is as close to a flawless movie as I have ever seen. Beautifully shot. Not a wasted scene. Every scene either deepens character or advances plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think that's a bogus complaint. It's a war movie. Rarely is the hero in such movies well developed. The plot is about the mission, not the characters.
That’s a fair point, but ROGUE ONE still felt like it had a hole in the heroine’s story. We knew where she came from, her connection to the guy building the Death Star, her connection to the guy who knows where he is. We knew what motivated her hatred of the Empire and how she became an orphan and led a life of crime and rebellion. That was good!

But then she makes an almost instantaneous turn to a loyal agent of the Rebel Alliance. There was a disconnect. We know who she was a little girl, but we have no idea who she is in this story. I get the idea that this was in the original cut from the director who was fired, but the replacement nixed it in favor of more action.

But this guy explains it better than I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gsIQa7sH5_Y

Old 06-27-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Nope. But New Hope is as close to a flawless movie as I have ever seen. Beautifully shot. Not a wasted scene. Every scene either deepens character or advances plot.

That’s a fair point, but ROGUE ONE still felt like it had a hole in the heroine’s story. We knew where she came from, her connection to the guy building the Death Star, her connection to the guy who knows where he is. We knew what motivated her hatred of the Empire and how she became an orphan and led a life of crime and rebellion. That was good!

But then she makes an almost instantaneous turn to a loyal agent of the Rebel Alliance. There was a disconnect. We know who she was a little girl, but we have no idea who she is in this story. I get the idea that this was in the original cut from the director who was fired, but the replacement nixed it in favor of more action.
That still misses the point.

Rogue One isn't that kind of movie--it's not the kind of movie that The Force Awakens purports to be. Placed in the war movie genre it belongs, it does what it's supposed to do the way it's supposed to do.

Go back and watch Saving Private Ryan and compare the amount of character backstory you're shown of Jenn with the amount of backstory you're shown with any character of Saving Private Ryan. Or The Great Escape. Or The Guns of Navarone. Or even Bridge on the River Kwai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies