Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 05:49 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Sorry about taking so long to get back with you on this. Also, personally... I found the 'he's still alive' thing to be a bit deus ex machina. Also, why couldn't they have just made it his brother who had a striking resemblance to Maul and who wanted revenge upon the person who killed his brother, and who is also skilled in the Jedi arts? Plus, no vital organs below the waist? So apparently, his species' lower intestines are somewhere else on their body? Hmmm.
Inasmuch as it was fleshed out sufficiently in the Maul arcs of both Clone Wars and Rebels--and those are considered exemplary story arcs--it's fine enough and can't be considered a deus ex machina, which characteristically comes from nowhere. There is more information on the character of Maul than there is of most Star Wars characters. We don't have as much canon information about Obi Wan Kenobi as we know about Maul.

But that's for fans whose viewing includes television. So I'd say Solo fits the Star Wars universe much better than does TLJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 06:10 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Bad movie.

4/10.

Watchable but waited for it to end.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:39 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
The box office run is officially at an end, and SOLO is on record as the worst-performing STAR WARS movie to date. Too bad. I wasn't wowed, but it wasn't a bad movie --- and there are definitely far worse STAR WARS movies. It didn't deserve to do this badly.

TheForce.net: Solo: A Star Wars Story Box Office Run Comes To An End

Old 09-23-2018, 10:14 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Wow, even lower than the Special Edition. It's a solid movie, IMO.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:56 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
I think the problem with wanting to do a Han Solo origin story, is that who wants to see Han Solo origin story. We already got that in A New Hope! That's the origin story.

It would be like if the James Bond filmmakers wanted to do a spin off origin story of Felix Leiter. People just wouldn't be interested, I don't think.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It would be like if the James Bond filmmakers wanted to do a spin off origin story of Felix Leiter. People just wouldn't be interested, I don't think.
That character doesn't carry anywhere near the same weight. Not on par with Han Solo.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
True, Han Solo has more weight, but he is not the origin story type of character, cause A New Hope is the origin story for him I feel.

Luke is the main hero and Han Solo is a supporting character, and I don't think he has deep enough story to warrant an origin story prequel. He is actually my favorite character in Star Wars, but even so, his origin story has already been told I feel.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
True, Han Solo has more weight, but he is not the origin story type of character, cause A New Hope is the origin story for him I feel.

Luke is the main hero and Han Solo is a supporting character, and I don't think he has deep enough story to warrant an origin story prequel. He is actually my favorite character in Star Wars, but even so, his origin story has already been told I feel.
I liked SOLO. It was far, far better than THE LAST JEDI. Not a perfect movie by a long stretch, but still fun.

That said, Han Solo is one of those characters where less is more. His origin is best left in our imaginations. Like Wolverine or Hannibal Lecter, there are some characters whose origins are best left in our minds. The more we know, the less interesting the character becomes. Leave us some mystery.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That said, Han Solo is one of those characters where less is more. His origin is best left in our imaginations. Like Wolverine or Hannibal Lecter, there are some characters whose origins are best left in our minds. The more we know, the less interesting the character becomes. Leave us some mystery.
That's exactly why I feel the Prequel Trilogy was a gargantuan fail. It DESTROYED the mystique of Darth Vader and left nary a scrap for a stray. The "—but it's the Skywalker saga...not just Luke's!" defense was boll—s.

The PT also managed to erase Boba Fett's, too. Now Fett is a character who should've been left alone, and they're even going to give him his own movie.

When I saw Vader do his thing in Rogue One, I thought "Now that's the Darth Vader I remember, he's just been on the shelf since 1980." So while we can never truly go back, we at least got one final, satisfying time-warp round-trip out of it.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's exactly why I feel the Prequel Trilogy was a gargantuan fail. It DESTROYED the mystique of Darth Vader and left nary a scrap for a stray. The "—but it's the Skywalker saga...not just Luke's!" defense was boll—s.
It could have been good. A story about a decent man who becomes a monster can be a great story. Breaking Bad, Macbeth, King Lear, Citizen Kane, The Iliad. It can be done. The opposite can also be done: turning a villain into a hero. The problem is that doing so takes a good understanding of human nature and deft writing --- neither of which seem to be in Lucas's wheelhouse. Lucas has many talents as a film maker, but writing isn't one of them.

The origin of Darth Vader could be done. It should be done. But Lucas wasn't the one to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The PT also managed to erase Boba Fett's, too. Now Fett is a character who should've been left alone, and they're even going to give him his own movie.
Yup. Another fine example of Less Is More. You don't give us a childhood bio of the Man With No Name. He's the Man With No Name, even if his name is Boba Fett.

But to be fair, Lucas had already ruined the character in RotJ. Death by burp. Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies