Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 08:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times

Advertisements

I’ll be honest. I didn’t see the movie because I’m really wasn’t much of s Han Solo fan. My main motivation to watch the original films was luke’s Story arc. So this movie didn’t excite me. Definitely not enough to go out to see it in the theaters. Granted I’ll probably eventually watch on Netflix.

Now if or when they they get a Ewen McGregor obi wan Kenobi movie out. I’ll see that in a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 09:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,647 times
Wow.... Only $84,751,000 for the three day weekend? That's almost embarrassing.... for a movie like this. But I haven't read the thread yet to avoid spoilers, but in addition to what I've read before the movie came out in regards to the lead actor's lack of resemblance to Harrison Ford and other things... I had started to say this before the movie came out but never got around to saying it... but I'm just wondering if the frequency of another Star Wars movie only after 6 months hurt this movie. Because unlike Marvel movies which aren't always expected to be runaway blockbusters for ever movie... Star Wars is like a brand name for 'big event' movies... and in my opinion, having a Star Wars movie come out every six months kind of 'cheapens' the Star Wars brand... Or in other words, I thought that this movie came out too soon after The Last Jedi and that contributed to hurting this movie at the box office.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Okay, so the Archie Bunker syndrome has struck. A critic who took droid L3-37's antics as serious social commentary:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-droid/560969/

Spoiler

In the theater I was in, the death of L3-37 was taken precisely the opposite of Rogue-One's K-2SO. When L3-37 finally shut up, there was applause.

Interestingly, this author classed the destruction of L3-37 as the movie's example of "fridging the girl"--apparently he didn't notice the real woman who got "fridged" much earlier.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:47 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Okay, so the Archie Bunker syndrome has struck. A critic who took droid L3-37's antics as serious social commentary:

Yet more proof that our educational system is dead. We teach kids to regurgitate Newspeak lest they commit the mortal sin of a thoughtcrime. But teach them to actually think? Nah. We can't control the drones if they're actually thinking.

So is "woke" the new term for "correct" thinking?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Spoiler

In the theater I was in, the death of L3-37 was taken precisely the opposite of Rogue-One's K-2SO. When L3-37 finally shut up, there was applause.

Interestingly, this author classed the destruction of L3-37 as the movie's example of "fridging the girl"--apparently he didn't notice the real woman who got "fridged" much earlier.
I have to say, I was happier when L3 was destroyed. Also, the whole relationship between Lando and L3 was just odd.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:02 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I have to say, I was happier when L3 was destroyed. Also, the whole relationship between Lando and L3 was just odd.
I think "creepy" is the word you were looking for.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I saw it yesterday. Wasn't great, wasn't horrible. I was entertained.

I thought the train thing was cool as were the "outlaws" who should have gotten much more screen time.
And Paul Bettany chewing the scenery with yet more weird facial make-up doesn't get old.
The rest of the cast was pretty good too.
Is there now a "Woody Harrelson-type" for sci-fi/fantasy movies?

Could do without ever seeing another alien lounge singer and some of the box-checking was really heavy-handed, but overall not sorry I paid to see it in the theater.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:27 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think "creepy" is the word you were looking for.
Is creepy now a synonym for annoying?

Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It get's lonely out in space and we don't know what other skills she might have had.

By that time, droids could take care of all your needs.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:37 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It get's lonely out in space and we don't know what other skills she might have had.

By that time, droids could take care of all your needs.
I believe it was hinted that Lando was taking care of some of L3's 'needs'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies