U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:27 AM

383 posts, read 297,932 times

Advertisements

Could not believe this genius movie. Two hours+, and I could've kept watching for another four.

What is it about World War II that grabs your guts so hard? World War I didn't have the "personalities?" I don't know; I'm asking. But "Darkest Hour" was downright religious for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,200,282 times
I saw it twice in the theater which is something I NEVER do.

It really is an amazing film.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 AM

13,075 posts, read 17,592,822 times
I do think it was good however I don't think I would go so far as saying best film though .

Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM

2,707 posts, read 4,645,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I do think it was good however I don't think I would go so far as saying best film though .
Agreed.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 AM

383 posts, read 297,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I saw it twice in the theater which is something I NEVER do.

It really is an amazing film.

You are so right. This is not a film you can watch just once. I'm a sucker for Churchill films, have seen them all except last fall's not-highly-regarded "Churchill" (about pre-D-Day), which I'll probably rent this week. My favorite actor playing Churchill was Albert Finney in "The Gathering Storm,"' which I've seen at least three times. Gary Oldman's performance was electrifying, but he just did not look like Churchill. Not to downplay his significance for a single second, but for me, the screenplay, cinematography, soundtrack as well as his acting combined to make Darkest Hour a religious experience.

In all "Churchill" films, you have to realize how old the man was at the time he became a world leader. Darkest Hour emphasizes Churchill's age ("when youth is gone, hope that wisdom remains," or whatever the exact words are when he kisses his wife and leaves to meet the king as prime minister for the first time). It's like a modern day biblical Abraham story, this film. The tension is unbelievable.

This turned out to be the first time I streamed on my television a movie still playing in theaters. Travel costs + Sunday night admission ($9.50) would have equaled the streaming price ($14.99). I have never paid so much in my entire life to see a film, but the good thing is I can rewatch it.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 AM

6,532 posts, read 4,661,315 times
I thought it was a typical award-bait film for Oldman's Oscar. The cinematography was pretty good, but other than that there wasn't anything substantially special about it.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:28 PM

2,698 posts, read 5,142,948 times
I really didn't enjoy it.

In 2016 I saw Their Finest, which was about the British propaganda office making a movie about Dunkirk. It had Bill Nighy, Gemma Arterton, and Sam Claflin. I really enjoyed it, but it's a light and fluffy film, especially compared to Darkest Hour.

I also saw Dunkirk, which I thought was good, but something about it was a little lacking for me. It felt a little emotionally sterile for me, for some reason. (The most emotional scene for me was after the rescued soldiers got back to England, and that old man was handing out blankets and calling them heroes. One of the soldiers reacted badly in that moment, but the other seemed buoyed. It occurred to me that after a crisis like what those soldiers went through, how you deal with it in the aftermath -- emotionally -- probably depends on your action in the moment. The first solder had acted selfishly and shamefully, as I recall, while the other had shown bravery and care for his fellows. That scene, then, was the most emotionally resonant scene of the movie for me.)

Regarding Darkest Hour, I thought the acting was good, of course, and Oldman was completely unrecognizable. I though the movie did a good job of conveying the horrendous pressure Churchill was under in that situation, being pincered from all sides by his own party and having such a burden on his shoulders. I LOVED the scene on the subway when he was interacting with normal folks. That was great. But my overall reaction to the movie was "meh."

Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM

7,794 posts, read 3,796,038 times
I suppose if you have particular interest in the subject matter, you'd enjoy the movie more than I did. As the poster above said, Oldman's performance was great, but the movie itself didn't do much for me. It wasn't bad by any stretch. There just wasn't anything particularly special for me.

I did find myself curious though ... I wonder if this is the first time that two movies nominated for "Best Picture" have centered on the same historical event? I do kind of like that this award season, we got this story from both sides of The Channel.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:34 PM

27,332 posts, read 44,844,554 times
No
Good but not the best

Old 02-16-2018, 10:32 PM

440 posts, read 667,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
You are so right. This is not a film you can watch just once. I'm a sucker for Churchill films, have seen them all except last fall's not-highly-regarded "Churchill" (about pre-D-Day), which I'll probably rent this week. My favorite actor playing Churchill was Albert Finney in "The Gathering Storm,"' which I've seen at least three times. Gary Oldman's performance was electrifying, but he just did not look like Churchill. Not to downplay his significance for a single second, but for me, the screenplay, cinematography, soundtrack as well as his acting combined to make Darkest Hour a religious experience.

In all "Churchill" films, you have to realize how old the man was at the time he became a world leader. Darkest Hour emphasizes Churchill's age ("when youth is gone, hope that wisdom remains," or whatever the exact words are when he kisses his wife and leaves to meet the king as prime minister for the first time). It's like a modern day biblical Abraham story, this film. The tension is unbelievable.

This turned out to be the first time I streamed on my television a movie still playing in theaters. Travel costs + Sunday night admission ($9.50) would have equaled the streaming price ($14.99). I have never paid so much in my entire life to see a film, but the good thing is I can rewatch it.
Would you recommend I see it in my theater? Theater experiences are steep lately so I carefully choose. Does it have battle scenes or something I won't get the full pleasure in my room(I have a decent home theater setup)?

For films like Dunkirk, or if Jurassic Park were to re-release do I go to a theater now. Scumbags rip us off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or