Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times

Advertisements

I watched the movie and had a question about part of the plot I did not follow.

SPOILER

Basically the pirates did not want the cyborg to get the information that is inside her brain back to Atlanta, cause if she goes back to Atlanta and gives it to the right people, the cure to the plague will be invented.

The pirates then take her to Atlanta for some reason. But why? If they take her there, that would just be getting her back to the people who want the information on the cure. Wouldn't it make more sense for the pirates to kill the cyborg and destroy the brain, so the information could not be recovered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Fender wanted to own the cure, making him a tyrant in charge. Monopolizing the cure along with his henchmen would have given him all the power. The cyborgs brain still needed to be downloaded. They could not download it on the road with no lab or computer. He had the ability to force the scientists to download it. His crew killed anyone who stood in their way, as evidenced by the village plundering scene.

He was the most fearsome baddie Van Damne faced. Atilla a was a close second.

Fun facts -The costumes and props were leftovers from the Masters of the Universe film. Original script had it as a silent opera with No dialog too.

Great movie, this thread was a pleasant suprise!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Okay thanks, but this still doesn't make sense to me cause I don't understand why he had to download the cure from her brain. If he destroyed her brain, and then destroyed the cure, he would still have all the power I thought.

But if owning the cure really made him a God, why would he have to go to Atlanta to download? In all of New York there is no place left to download anything and Atlanta is the only place left? And why would the cyborg tell him where that place is?

Plus, she still was able to get that data from somewhere in New York. So even if Fender still downloaded the cure, it would just be a copy, and the cure would still be in New York on the computer that she got it from, and thus not making him a God, cause there i still is a copy out there.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, but this still doesn't make sense to me cause I don't understand why he had to download the cure from her brain. If he destroyed her brain, and then destroyed the cure, he would still have all the power I thought.

But if owning the cure really made him a God, why would he have to go to Atlanta to download? In all of New York there is no place left to download anything and Atlanta is the only place left? And why would the cyborg tell him where that place is?

Plus, she still was able to get that data from somewhere in New York. So even if Fender still downloaded the cure, it would just be a copy, and the cure would still be in New York on the computer that she got it from, and thus not making him a God, cause there i still is a copy out there.
Obvious plot hole, one would just have to assume the NY computer was destroyed or that man who was beheaded in the beginning had the copy. I guess they used Atlanta to avoid the cliche final battle from taking place in NY or L.A., two cities heavily featured in many films.

When he shows Pearl the chopped off head, if you look in Fenders glasses a crew member in a white T shirt is visible also.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 PM

Okay thanks. Well if Fender has no real reason to go to Atlanta to be a God, why not just set the entire movie in Atlanta, and have the cure people, waiting for Pearl in New York? That way, Fender has no reason to go the cure people, and just stays in Atlanta the whole time, trying to be a God, and the final battle can still take place there, to avoid the cliche?

Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 PM

This film had influence from old Westerns. The hero drifter trying to stop the gangs as they travel about causing mayhem has been used before. Plus in a post apocalypse setting they were able to show more of the destroyed civilization (matte paintings and various abandoned factories in this case)

I once hoped they might remake this one due to the low budget and studio going bankrupt during filming, but they remade Kickboxer and it was awful. Some films should be left as is. This one was a dark but cheesy adventure, with characters named after guitars. Certainly a memorable flick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies