Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times

Advertisements

I enjoy films that can take me to a different world and make it believable and compelling to be there. The story was good. Nice beginning with a believable tie-in. Kate seemed a little old for Jack at times, but you had two people trying to run away from their societal roles to America, which is always a nice underlying theme. There was also time to understand how it worked. I like the bit with the coal being put into the burners...imagine doing that the whole way to America. Even though I thought the upper class was made a bit too shallow, I did like the certain points of honor that are less apparent to us all today. I liked the realistic portrayal of normal immigrants coming over. The confusion overtaken by a general excitement to be coming to America and filling time with their own song and dance with the less restrictive roles.

As much as Kate and Jack's love story seemed real, her actual engagement seemed preposterous. In America, any titles became worthless so the villains seemed stretched but it was overall a great film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
When I saw the movie in a cinema, I had never seen Leonardo DiCaprio before. I felt his performance was weak. I said to my wife, on leaving the movie house, "what that film needed was someone like a young Robert Redford in the role of Jack." I didn't feel his acting was strong enough, for such a central role.

I have never seen the film again, so now I know DiCaprio from later movies, I may see it differently with another viewing. I also found it quite boring in parts, but the sinking scenes were spectacular for sure.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Are you saying The English Patient is better or just different?
No, not better at all just set in a different time, place and with its own circumstances but I enjoyed it very much. But I also enjoyed Titanic very much as well; for its different story and for different reasons.

Quote:
After having time to digest Titanic, I like it a lot better now. Not sure if I like it better than The English Patient, cause they are both different and like them both in different ways.
See how that works when we gather insight (and we all need some insight every now and again.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
When I was very young, I saw the film "A Night to Remember" and since then I have always been
and continue to be an inquisitive person about the Titanic. Personally, I think the British film (above) was better, although Cameron's film had more sophisticated special effects, 85 years of research/data
and technological innovations since the original disaster.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/101...t_to_remember?

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/mov...ht-to-remember

(it's playing on youtube for free)

Since so many lives were lost and there are many stories about the passengers who were on
the ship that were much more interesting than the love story he decided to focus on.
Just one link on that:
https://rmstitanichotel.co.uk/9-touc...board-titanic/

He might have had the locket idea from this:
Locket From Titanic Has Heartbreaking Love Story | Time

Also, James Cameron did dives down to the Titanic. He said he made
the film because he "wanted to do an expedition of the wreck of the Titanic, and I did exlpore
it."
source below
https://www.npr.org/2012/03/30/14963...ing-up-titanic

Old 02-28-2018, 02:28 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
Titanic about has the same effects on me as with Pretty Woman. You got bore watching over and over, but will still wanna catch it sometime all over again..lol

Old 02-28-2018, 02:51 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
I saw this movie, when it was released, on the plane to Hawaii. This is when they still had one large screen on the plane and closed the little window shutters.

It was a great way to take a long plane trip, watched some of the movie, took a nap, woke up - looked like the same thing in the movie was happening, etc. The next thing I knew we were in Hawaii !

Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That wasn't a media person. It was the owner of the cruise line.

You should read more about the history of the real-life events these types of movies are made from. It is enlightening.

The White Star cruise line was in a race with the Cunard Line to produce these state-of-the-art vessels. To reach America ahead of schedule would have been a huge public relations victory for White Star.
Oh okay, the movie doesn't really say what his job occupation was I don't think, and he says we need to make headlines, so I assumed he was working for the media or something.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:14 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I enjoy films that can take me to a different world and make it believable and compelling to be there. The story was good. Nice beginning with a believable tie-in. Kate seemed a little old for Jack at times, but you had two people trying to run away from their societal roles to America, which is always a nice underlying theme. There was also time to understand how it worked. I like the bit with the coal being put into the burners...imagine doing that the whole way to America. Even though I thought the upper class was made a bit too shallow, I did like the certain points of honor that are less apparent to us all today. I liked the realistic portrayal of normal immigrants coming over. The confusion overtaken by a general excitement to be coming to America and filling time with their own song and dance with the less restrictive roles.

As much as Kate and Jack's love story seemed real, her actual engagement seemed preposterous. In America, any titles became worthless so the villains seemed stretched but it was overall a great film.
I agree, I thought the villains were the weak link in the film. Everything else was excellent. I don’t think the film is overrated at all, it deserved Best Picture.

I first watched Titanic in 2013, and even then I thought it was an excellent movie that could stand among modern movies in quality.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Oh okay, the movie doesn't really say what his job occupation was I don't think, and he says we need to make headlines, so I assumed he was working for the media or something.
It's a theory that they wanted to make headlines. One of the things we will never know for sure.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:59 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
But did them going at full speed contribute to the fault of the crash as the movie implies, or no?

[/quote]I agree, I thought the villains were the weak link in the film. Everything else was excellent. I don’t think the film is overrated at all, it deserved Best Picture.

I first watched Titanic in 2013, and even then I thought it was an excellent movie that could stand among modern movies in quality.
[/quote]

I wish I had scene it when it was released in 3D. I think Billy Zane was suppose to be kind of a... I guess you could say male bimbo, but it was intentional I felt, as him acting that way gave Rose a good reason not to be attracted to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies