U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 AM

2,696 posts, read 5,111,476 times

Advertisements

I saw it last night. My take:
  • It felt like the longest movie ever.
  • It really had no tension or excitement for most of the movie. Maybe toward the end.
  • Jennifer Lawrence's character is neither likable nor unlikable -- not entirely sympathetic, but not awful -- but her entire performance is played with a blank face. I think that was the design of the character, but really...blank, impassive face. The whole time.
  • It's a bit hard to know what's really happening. Who is double-crossing whom? Is this a double-cross? Wait...she just told the truth! Is she being honest, or is she playing a game? I was grateful for the "summary" at the end that laid it all out for me.
  • I like Jennifer Lawrence, but I could have bought into her appropriateness for this role if they had not started out with a ballet number at the Bolshoi. She's got an athletic build that was just distracting for me. I guess I would have expected more of a slinky femme fatale, and she is just so much more clunky. Sexy and earthy, but just not graceful at all. (I haven't read the book, though, so I don't know how she's described in the book.)
  • That hair fringe! Ugh!
  • Loved seeing Matthias Schoenerts.
  • I find it unbelievable that anyone could morph into a double-crossing (triple-crossing?) secret agent in so little time. The way it was portrayed in Salt was more believable to me.

All in all, for me it was a solid C/3 out of 5 stars. Not terrible, not good. I used my Movie Pass subscription so it cost me nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:43 AM

26,777 posts, read 27,857,199 times
I’m boycotting Jennifer Lawrence, even though I would ordinarily be all over that sort of movie. I think I’ll read the book.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:48 PM

887 posts, read 948,604 times
For as young as Jennifer is, she seems to be a pretty savvy individual.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:18 PM

21,016 posts, read 20,625,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
It will most likely turnout as bad as Jennifer Lawrence’s other movies.
Jennifer Lawrence is my main reason for not particularly wanting to see this movie. I don't know what it is, but she just doesn't do much for me.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 PM

10,341 posts, read 11,465,389 times
Jennifer Lawrence? Check!
Jennifer Lawrence naked? Doubly check!

I'll watch Jennifer Lawrence mow the lawn if it was on video.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:44 AM

10,341 posts, read 11,465,389 times
Watched this last night, way too long and Lawrence was really miscast in this. The ballet scene was laughable, she's too muscular and thick for that. Thought it was ok, the summary at the end was predictable. And the fake Russian accents were horrible.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 AM

2,261 posts, read 2,058,100 times
I haven't seen the movie. Seen the commercial a million times tho it seems. I like Jennifer in some of the stuff she's done, not so much in others and I liked her when she first really hit the scene but when I see those commercials and her deadpan face and hear the accent... nope. I just can't take that accent coming out of her. And yeah... I've seen other actors do it and it's fine.. sometimes but this one.. nope. Kinda like Kiefer Sutherland in Pompeii (who I really thought was miscast in that part). Some things just don't mesh for me.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:39 AM

12,263 posts, read 8,899,679 times
Will see it soon. The book by Jason Matthews is amazing. He's former CIA who knows a great deal about spy recruitment which makes the book so pleasurable. The book works on so many levels I wasn't sure a movie could do it justice, and from all the reviews I've read it sounds like Red Sparrow should've been filmed for a Netflix season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or