U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 PM
 
13,002 posts, read 5,403,979 times
Reputation: 8021

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Bad acting, see Mark Wahlberg in the Happening. Worse acting job ever.
Thatís so true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 PM
 
13,002 posts, read 5,403,979 times
Reputation: 8021
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I'm giving the bad acting title to Keanu Reeves in just about everything he's done. Not quite as bad in the Wick movies because he doesn't have to speak much.
I know, but somehow I love a lot of his movies. I guess that’s charisma.

The only one I thought he acted well in was the one with Al Pacino, The Devil’s Advocate. It wasn’t a huge stretch, but he did well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 PM
 
13,002 posts, read 5,403,979 times
Reputation: 8021
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
She's actually a very well respected actress (I never saw Twilight.) She was phenomenal in "Into the Wild," "Clouds of Sils Maria," "Still Alice" and "Cafe Society."
Then that confirms my theory above. She was actually being a good actress in Twilight because that character in the book was just as mopey and bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2018, 10:55 PM
 
14,998 posts, read 8,556,881 times
Reputation: 24977
The thing about 'good' acting in motion pictures (and TV) is that 'good' doesn't necessarily equate to being the same way we act in real life. The great movie critic Roger Ebert mentioned as such, that there's a certain element of theatrics and prose involved in movie acting.

Like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now for example. His one on one dialogue with Martin Sheen in that half darkened bunker was an incredible masterpiece of dramatic acting. However, who in real life talks like that to each other? But it absolutely works in a movie setting.

But there are some fabulous actors who give performances that seem very real, the way real people would react in real life situations, with no false notes. Tom Hanks in particular is one of those actors.

Here he is in Captain Phillips and Saving Private Ryan. In both sequences he is undergoing a lot of emotional and mental trauma, and you can feel his pain and you would expect real life people to act in exactly the same ways.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMDdT24_98


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5edv_5J8Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
2,323 posts, read 2,102,684 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Bad acting, see Mark Wahlberg in the Happening. Worse acting job ever.
I didn't notice his bad acting because I couldn't get past Zooey Deschanel's horrible zombie like acting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 AM
 
Location: So Ca
13,898 posts, read 13,565,381 times
Reputation: 11824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
....Like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now for example. His one on one dialogue with Martin Sheen in that half darkened bunker was an incredible masterpiece of dramatic acting. However, who in real life talks like that to each other? But it absolutely works in a movie setting.
How about Brando in "On the Waterfront"? (You can see the future Godfather in him, although he acts very differently as this character.)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiewQrpBBA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
2,323 posts, read 2,102,684 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
But there are some fabulous actors who give performances that seem very real, the way real people would react in real life situations, with no false notes. Tom Hanks in particular is one of those actors.

Here he is in Captain Phillips and Saving Private Ryan. In both sequences he is undergoing a lot of emotional and mental trauma, and you can feel his pain and you would expect real life people to act in exactly the same ways.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMDdT24_98


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5edv_5J8Y
Tom Hanks was fabulous in that movie (Cap Phillips). And that scene in particular ...the breakdown after being rescued was very moving. I recall saying to my husband that Hanks had either experienced first hand post traumatic stress or studied it very well. Having been thru it once myself I was amazed at his performance in that scene. Outstanding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 07:11 AM
 
Location: So Ca
13,898 posts, read 13,565,381 times
Reputation: 11824
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I didn't notice his bad acting because I couldn't get past Zooey Deschanel's horrible zombie like acting.
And I didn't care for her in "500 Days of Summer," either. She acts the same in every role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
2,323 posts, read 2,102,684 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And I didn't care for her in "500 Days of Summer," either. She acts the same in every role.
I didn't see it. Honestly, I think that was the first time I ever saw her in anything and since then I've purposely avoided anything with her in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top