Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Some of the best acting I've seen lately is Claire Foy in "The Crown".

She doesn't have the luxury of showing passionate emotions. She is, after all, the queen. So she has to act with her facial expressions, perfectly timed sighs, a brittle tension in her manner, a shy smile, etc.

The contrast between her formality and Matt Smith's easy-going jauntiness is really beautiful.

I know....doubt I'll watch her replacement next season.

Bet Foy is glad to be out from under all that understated emotion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
My current example of great acting is Elizabeth Moss in Handmaid's Tale. Particularly the Ceremony scenes. She's not speaking, and really not showing much facial expression (because she's trying to be detached from what's going on) but her eyes are speaking volumes. Practically screaming volumes.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:26 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Bad acting is anything Jason Alexander did after Seinfeld.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:56 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Bad acting in my opinion, is when the actor cannot deliver a line and make it believable. Another aspect of bad acting is when the actor basically is the same character over and over and over, just with different names and circumstances.
I don't know if I agree with that. Charlie Chaplin for example, played the same character over and over again, and is considered to be one of the great actors.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:39 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. Charlie Chaplin for example, played the same character over and over again, and is considered to be one of the great actors.
I think that’s different than what 20years is talking about. He means like Tom Cruise ... so many of his movies are just the same persona with a different name, accent and costume. Especially in his early roles, he played every character as the young cocky hotshot. They were fairly indistinguishable.

Chaplin was actually playing the same character. Intentionally.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Another aspect of bad acting is when the actor basically is the same character over and over and over, just with different names and circumstances.
I don't think that's a sign of bad acting, but rather a sign of a limited range of acting skills. Denzel Washington plays the role of Alpha male in nearly every movie he's in and he plays the role especially well. Even in Glory where he played the role of a slave, he was still the fiercely defiant slave who ran away and didn't take orders from anyone. Despite perpetually playing the role of Alpha in Charge, I don't think many people would call him a bad actor.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:51 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
Bad acting, see Mark Wahlberg in the Happening. Worse acting job ever.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:04 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Bad acting, see Mark Wahlberg in the Happening. Worse acting job ever.
I'm giving the bad acting title to Keanu Reeves in just about everything he's done. Not quite as bad in the Wick movies because he doesn't have to speak much.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I'm giving the bad acting title to Keanu Reeves in just about everything he's done. Not quite as bad in the Wick movies because he doesn't have to speak much.
He almost ruined Bram Stoker's Dracula for me. It was embarrassing how much better every other actor in that movie was.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:19 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Some of the best acting I've seen lately is Claire Foy in "The Crown".

She doesn't have the luxury of showing passionate emotions. She is, after all, the queen. So she has to act with her facial expressions, perfectly timed sighs, a brittle tension in her manner, a shy smile, etc.

The contrast between her formality and Matt Smith's easy-going jauntiness is really beautiful.
Haven't seen The Crown (trailer looks good), and I guess I have seen her in The Lady in the Van, but don't remember her, but she's great in Steven Soderbergh's Unsane (2018).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies