U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 PM

6,444 posts, read 2,346,379 times

Advertisements

[quote=ironpony;51521917
Laurie has nothing to build on, character arc wise. And her friends have the shallowest, most unprofound conversations. I mean imagine if in Jaws, for examples, the guys talk about their love lives in that sort of way, while on the sea together. It just wouldn't be as deep.

[/quote]

I think that's typical for horror movies. The characters are usually young, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 04:27 PM

2,947 posts, read 966,342 times
But Halloween I read was one of the first horror movies to start this trend. The explanation why other later horror movies follow this trend is because Halloween did it.

But since Halloween is an original, why did it choose to do it?

Last edited by ironpony; 04-10-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 846,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But Halloween I read was one of the first horror movies to start this trend.. since Halloween is an original, why did it choose to do it?
Iron, I saw an interview w/John Carpenter about 15 years ago.. He had a co-writer on Halloween, named Debra Hill. She was a young woman @ the time, and brought a lot of those (youthful) sensibilities to the script. Script was intended to be heavily focused on a babysitting protagonist. I think because horror movies are aimed largely at teens, Carpenter & Hill tapped a perfect paradigm.. showing an ordinary, relatable teen girl fighting a figurative monster.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Iron, I saw an interview w/John Carpenter about 15 years ago.. He had a co-writer on Halloween, named Debra Hill. She was a young woman @ the time, and brought a lot of those (youthful) sensibilities to the script. Script was intended to be heavily focused on a babysitting protagonist. I think because horror movies are aimed largely at teens, Carpenter & Hill tapped a perfect paradigm.. showing an ordinary, relatable teen girl fighting a figurative monster.
Yup. This whole documentary is worth watching. Lots of fun. But the specific proof to the point you made is around the 3:05 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm03...0B6B28&index=1

Old 04-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Okay thanks, I just don't understand why they chose an ordinary teen girl as a protagonist in the first place, cause she doesn't really have any flaws, or personal stakes to connect with in the story, it seems. I mean I compared her to John McClane, but McClane had personal stakes (wife he was trying to get back and make up with, held hostage), and I feel that it is normal for a protagonist to have some kind of character arc that's more personal, rather than just trying to survive and nothing more.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Okay thanks, I just don't understand why they chose an ordinary teen girl as a protagonist in the first place, cause she doesn't really have any flaws, or personal stakes to connect with in the story, it seems.
The producer came up with the idea. "What about a story where a babysitter is menaced by a killer? And what if it was set on Halloween?" That was the basic idea that the producer then handed off to John Carpenter and Debra Hill to develop.

The aim was to make the teens as "ordinary" as possible, which would then hopefully make the killer all the more terrifying.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Okay thanks, I understand why make the teens ordinary but I felt the main character didn't have personal stakes enough, and can't a protagonist have personal stakes and still be ordinary?

Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Okay thanks, I understand why make the teens ordinary but I felt the main character didn't have personal stakes enough, and can't a protagonist have personal stakes and still be ordinary?
Trying to stay alive seems like the biggest personal stake there is. She was also trying to keep the kids alive. She succeeds in both.

If you mean a stake as in "why Myers is targeting her," well Halloween 2 tried to retrofit a motivation (Laurie is Michael's sister) and it didn't really work. It came across as forced and baffling. The whole point of Michael Myers in the first HALLOWEEN is that he doesn't have a motive or a reason. He isn't a person so much as a Force --- or a Shape. He's the Bogeyman.

Myers actually pre-figured the Terminator by a few years: "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

You can't really establish a motivation in a force that lacks all reason. It just Is.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 AM

12,130 posts, read 8,102,399 times
Quote:
I liked a lot of the movie, and liked the villain, and Dr. Loomis as characters, and felt they were very effective. However, what I found really odd about the movie was the main character, Laurie, and felt her to be a very underwhelming MC.

Mostly her friends just talk about their sex lives, and that's it, where Laurie herself doesn't have any kind of character arc at all, and is just a random victim caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kind if John McClane in Die Hard, but at least McClane was having marital issues he was trying to work through, and redeemed his character through the ordeal he was going through, kind of. Or like how LB Jeffries, in Rear Window, bonded with his girlfriend and improved their relationship, through the ordeal.

Laurie has nothing to build on, character arc wise. And her friends have the shallowest, most unprofound conversations. I mean imagine if in Jaws, for examples, the guys talk about their love lives in that sort of way, while on the sea together. It just wouldn't be as deep.

But maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way? What do you think?

It was WAY better then any horror movie that's been out in the last 20 years at least it had people who could act in it. Unlike ANY movie made today.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:12 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,702,578 times
Great movie. I have it on VHS & plan to watch it when Halloween once again rolls around which isn't too far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or