U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 PM

574 posts, read 240,900 times

Advertisements

I’m so excited to see it!!

But unfortunately I’m probably not going to see it for a few weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 PM

12,482 posts, read 6,933,378 times
I haven't been to a movie in over a year, mostly because of the utter lack of creativity in the film industry today. It seems the majority of movies produced are remakes, rehashes, roboots, redos, or sequels, usually a variation of a shoot-em-up, natural disaster, superhero, or lame slapstick comedy. Every movie produced is the same as all the others. The unique premise of A Quiet Place intrigued me, and the film did not disappoint. I saw it today, and the movie kept me at the edge of my seat almost the entire time and there were surprises throughout. The fact that most of the movie was quiet or nearly so added to its power. The acting was superb.

In many horror movies, there are one or a few actors who are vastly superior to the others. The poor actors are wooden, fake, and flat in their motions and dialogue. With so little dialogue in this film, the actors had to rely only on the power of their facial expressions and purposeful movements to convey their message to the viewer, and they did an excellent job of that. Interestingly, Millicent Simmonds, who plays the older sister Reagan Abbott, is deaf, so she was a particularly apt choice for the role. The movie is not a gory one. It uses psychological suspense to capture the viewer's attention. I found myself tearing up during sad moments more than once as well. If there is one point I would nitpick (and it's a minor one), I would have liked to know how these sound detecting creatures came to be. Where did they come from? That question remained unanswered. People who found the film trite must not have been watching the same movie I did. I thought it was unique, suspenseful, sincere, heartfelt, and poignant.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,163,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I haven't been to a movie in over a year, mostly because of the utter lack of creativity in the film industry today. It seems the majority of movies produced are remakes, rehashes, roboots, redos, or sequels, usually a variation of a shoot-em-up, natural disaster, superhero, or lame slapstick comedy. Every movie produced is the same as all the others. The unique premise of A Quiet Place intrigued me, and the film did not disappoint. I saw it today, and the movie kept me at the edge of my seat almost the entire time and there were surprises throughout. The fact that most of the movie was quiet or nearly so added to its power. The acting was superb.

In many horror movies, there are one or a few actors who are vastly superior to the others. The poor actors are wooden, fake, and flat in their motions and dialogue. With so little dialogue in this film, the actors had to rely only on the power of their facial expressions and purposeful movements to convey their message to the viewer, and they did an excellent job of that. Interestingly, Millicent Simmonds, who plays the older sister Reagan Abbott, is deaf, so she was a particularly apt choice for the role. The movie is not a gory one. It uses psychological suspense to capture the viewer's attention. I found myself tearing up during sad moments more than once as well. If there is one point I would nitpick (and it's a minor one), I would have liked to know how these sound detecting creatures came to be. Where did they come from? That question remained unanswered. People who found the film trite must not have been watching the same movie I did. I thought it was unique, suspenseful, sincere, heartfelt, and poignant.
Good question. Right before I dozed off, I saw he had newspaper articles posted around his work place. Like a major catastrophic event happened to cause these things to survive. ..or did I dream that?

Old 04-09-2018, 06:53 AM

8,572 posts, read 6,807,742 times
The old "something bad happens, the survivor blames themself, and the whole It's not your fault, I still love you" thing has been done to death.

Suspense is created when something unexpected could happen. The premise is make noise and the monsters come. Well, they made noise. Don't we know what's going to happen?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 AM

12,482 posts, read 6,933,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The old "something bad happens, the survivor blames themself, and the whole It's not your fault, I still love you" thing has been done to death.

Suspense is created when something unexpected could happen. The premise is make noise and the monsters come. Well, they made noise. Don't we know what's going to happen?
So what exactly makes a movie unique? I'm as cynical as most people when it comes to movies, but this one was different in premise if nothing else. But I am curious, to all movie bashers out there, what do you think makes a unique movie, interesting, or special?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 AM

6,025 posts, read 3,204,634 times
^^^The acting in this film is great, and the atmosphere is wonderful - but the plot suffers from some fatal flaws which I just couldn't get past.

Spoiler
In the father's hideout, there were newspaper articles with headlines mentioning that the creatures had been discovered to hunt by sound - which means the discovery was made while there was still enough of a civilization left for newspapers to be printed (on big, noisy commercial printing presses). And that's a problem, because the creatures don't show any evidence of a sophisticated hunting strategy - they just rush to attack anything that makes a noise. So why didn't the military and the police use the relative stupidity of the creatures against them to exterminate them before they destroyed civilization? Yes, they're tough to kill, but a big bomb with a detonator that can be activated remotely, plus a similar sound-making device, will easily do the trick. If improvised IEDs can blow up tanks and armored personnel carriers, they can blow up these critters. Set the bomb+noisemaker combo up, ring the dinner bell, and when the critters come rushing in, blow them straight to Hell. Lather, rinse, and repeat until they are all destroyed. And for that matter, if Dad is knowledgeable enough to design new and improved hearing aids, he's probably knowledgeable enough to design a remotely-triggered detonator for a bomb (which is the only really tricky part to build).

I also found myself wondering why the family routinely left the doors to their house opened/unlocked. Didn't they ever consider the possibly that one of the creatures could accidentally wander in by sheer random chance?

Last edited by Aredhel; 04-09-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 03:13 AM

8,572 posts, read 6,807,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
^^^The acting in this film is great, and the atmosphere is wonderful - but the plot suffers from some fatal flaws which I just couldn't get past.

Spoiler
In the father's hideout, there were newspaper articles with headlines mentioning that the creatures had been discovered to hunt by sound - which means the discovery was made while there was still enough of a civilization left for newspapers to be printed (on big, noisy commercial printing presses). And that's a problem, because the creatures don't show any evidence of a sophisticated hunting strategy - they just rush to attack anything that makes a noise. So why didn't the military and the police use the relative stupidity of the creatures against them to exterminate them before they destroyed civilization? Yes, they're tough to kill, but a big bomb with a detonator that can be activated remotely, plus a similar sound-making device, will easily do the trick. If improvised IEDs can blow up tanks and armored personnel carriers, they can blow up these critters. Set the bomb+noisemaker combo up, ring the dinner bell, and when the critters come rushing in, blow them straight to Hell. Lather, rinse, and repeat until they are all destroyed. And for that matter, if Dad is knowledgeable enough to design new and improved hearing aids, he's probably knowledgeable enough to design a remotely-triggered detonator for a bomb (which is the only really tricky part to build).

I also found myself wondering why the family routinely left the doors to their house opened/unlocked. Didn't they ever consider the possibly that one of the creatures could accidentally wander in by sheer random chance?
Or they could have planned remote noise traps that would attract the monsters away from the house.

Spoiler
What were they going to do about the baby?

Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 AM

9,794 posts, read 5,513,691 times
I will copy and paste what I said in another thread, for I am lazy:

We saw "The Quiet Place" yesterday. It was good.

I will say this: it rather begs for a sequel. Not a sequel in the traditional sense, however.

This is not giving anything away: the movie is set in an isolated farm, where to avoid detection from aliens with an acute sense of hearing, the family must be quiet.

The implication in the movie is that the invasion has occurred around the world, not just at this one farm.

It got me thinking: it would have made a very good movie in other settings, such as a towering apartment building in New York City or a hotel in Las Vegas.

My thought is akin to a science fiction series of books, The Silo series. The basis for the books is that, due to a nuclear war, the survivors live in vast, underground silos (that extend some 900 stories underground; they had planned ahead well).

The initial book is set in one particular silo, and examines how civilization has adapted and evolved in this self-contained world (for no one can step outside). The residents of this silo do not know that there are actually other such silos in the world.

As such, the author was able to set other books in different silos, each somewhat different. Indeed, the author (growing tired of it, I guess) encouraged 'fan fiction' creating their own silo worlds (a couple of which were themselves excellent).

Such is the case here. We had a story about one family in a farm house. There could be other movies about families in other situations.

Not that I would watch more such movies, but it is a thought.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,873,987 times
I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best movie, but it was decent. I liked the premise of the movie and it definitely made me wonder what I would do if this situation occured. I joked with my kid that I would probably die quick, because I would make noise by knocking something over accidentally or stepping on something and screaming out loud. Yeah I wouldn't last if I had to be quiet.

A few things in the movie bothered me...

Spoiler
The parents clearly understand that any noise could bring danger and yet the littles were wandering around the store in the beginning, trying to reach things on shelving, knocking things off shelving and then after taking away noisy toy the parents walk out of the store first leaving the little one to walk behind unattended. I kept thinking, why on earth would they not have one parent in front and one in back to keep an eye on the kids, especially having a deaf child and one really small child? Made me crazy.

And knowing that these "things" are out there somewhere, the kids are left to wander off alone around the farm.

and the mom not removing the nail that she stepped on and then having her kids walk down the stairs.....WTF?!!!

The scene where it attacks the car and was trying to rip it open had me baffled because earlier in the silo it ripped through the side of the silo like butter. So why couldn't it get into the car?

The last thing that really had me thinking WTF, was at the beginning, the kid with the rocket made a noise and that "thing" was on him in no time, but when the baby was crying the dad still had time to get the mom and the baby into that sound proof room when it was literally steps behind them. There is no way!

I liked the movie. I thought the actors all did a wonderful job. It wasn't jump scare scary, but it was intense and I thought it did a good job of making me nervous whenever there was noise.

Spoiler
Oh yeah and that creature looked like a demigorgon from stranger things.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:40 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,671,179 times
I saw the movie. People are all different. I loved the movie, it was excellent. Well written, great acting, and a good story, although sad.
My favorite movies are suspense, and psychological thrillers.

I was very sad when the father showed his real love for his daughter without giving away the movie.

Interesting fact is the young daughter actress is deaf in real life, and she was great in the movie, I agree with what was mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies