U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 AM

7,152 posts, read 7,591,750 times

Advertisements

We waited forever to see it. My daughter loved it. I hated it.

Spoiler
I get that they cant make a sound because of the monsters but an entire movie with next to no dialogue is frustrating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM

10,545 posts, read 11,642,242 times
Saw this last night, I enjoyed it. Kind of like Signs but quieter.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:43 PM

326 posts, read 88,875 times
I missed it in theaters. My 4K copy just arrived and all the reviews say the movie is great and the Dolby Atmos track is reference quality.

A quiet movie with reference quality sound. Interesting...

Looking forward to this on my OLED panel and Atmos HT this weekend.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:46 PM

1,273 posts, read 3,325,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Saw this last night, I enjoyed it. Kind of like Signs but quieter.

I loved Signs. It was also quiet in its own way... not a lot of "extra" dialogue.
I remember the movie's scriptwriter (name escapes me...M. Night Shymailian or somesuch?) having the

small role of the guy who gets in the accident with Mel Gibson's wife...later in the movie
when Gibson goes to the other guy's house - he arrives just as he has packed up his car and is leaving town ("for the lake, I've heard they don't like water")- he just matter of factly tells Gibson "don't go in the kitchen" and drives off. Of course Gibson goes in the kitchen...

Old 07-13-2018, 07:05 PM

1,273 posts, read 3,325,921 times
Okay, I have now watched it for the third time (two-day rental haha).

There are several things that still confuse/bug me:

1. WHY did they leave all doors open, at the house and the barn?? Other than not wanting the doors to squeak perhaps...but somewhere that handy husband must have had some oil or WD-40?? WHY make it any easier for the monsters to get inside??

2. How is it they still had electricity if, one assumes, everyone at Con Ed (haha- movie was filmed in NY) was probably dead? I don't think there's a generator THAT powerful to light up the yard and both buildings??

3. When it's 7 p.m. and Dad is on top of silo lighting fire and you see other fires in the distance...I guess we are to assume it's other survivors and this is some sort of sign that they're all alive one more day?

4. If the monsters are blind how do they not run into the trees and things as they are zooming around (and they do move FAST) killing folks??

5. What parent lets a 4-year-old alone at the end of the single file walk???

I'll stop now.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:01 AM

271 posts, read 94,927 times
They are making a second movie FYI. Talking about bringing the father back ( not a good idea IMO ). The movie was a little to quiet for me, would have been better with more action. It's not good to watch a movie and yet your hearing the other movie next door much better.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:30 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,086,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
They are making a second movie FYI. Talking about bringing the father back ( not a good idea IMO ).
Yeah, but we're talking about the director, the co-writer of the screenplay, and the real-life husband of the star of the movie.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,086,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Okay, I have now watched it for the third time (two-day rental haha).

There are several things that still confuse/bug me:

4. If the monsters are blind how do they not run into the trees and things as they are zooming around (and they do move FAST) killing folks??

Advanced sonar?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 11,642,242 times
1. WHY did they leave all doors open, at the house and the barn?? Other than not wanting the doors to squeak perhaps...but somewhere that handy husband must have had some oil or WD-40?? WHY make it any easier for the monsters to get inside??

Doors make noise when closed and opened.

2. How is it they still had electricity if, one assumes, everyone at Con Ed (haha- movie was filmed in NY) was probably dead? I don't think there's a generator THAT powerful to light up the yard and both buildings??

Solar panels? Windmill?

3. When it's 7 p.m. and Dad is on top of silo lighting fire and you see other fires in the distance...I guess we are to assume it's other survivors and this is some sort of sign that they're all alive one more day?

That's what I thought too. Showing other survivors they were still alive.

Bats zoom around fast and don't run into things. I suppose it's the same thing.

5. What parent lets a 4-year-old alone at the end of the single file walk???

A stupid one.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 PM

6,243 posts, read 1,515,119 times
I wondered why the monsters could not hear their heartbeats and breathing. If such a creature depended on solely on sound to hunt for prey, their hearing ability would be crazy good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies