U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:18 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,158,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
4. If the monsters are blind how do they not run into the trees and things as they are zooming around (and they do move FAST) killing folks??

Bats zoom around fast and don't run into things. I suppose it's the same thing.

Yes, that's called sonar/echolocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 AM

9,537 posts, read 4,297,730 times
I watched this the other night and while I did enjoy the original premise there were too many things that bothered me about the movie and most of them have already been mentioned.

I can't get the spoiler thing to work so don't read any further if you haven't seen it yet.

1. Leaving the little kid to walk at the end of the line when they were going home. What normal parent would do that? Most of us would have one parent in front and one in the back.

2. Who planted all that corn? They certainly didn't do it by hand.

3. How come the nail was sticking straight up on the stairs? I know she pulled it with some laundry but nobody would have nailed it like that in the first place. Why didn't she either pull it out or bend it so nobody else would step on it.

4. How come they never wore shoes? Wouldn't it have easier to wear some quiet rubber soled shoes than to get bags & bags of sand to lay down to make a path? Since it appeared to be autumn where they were what happens when it gets cold? Still no shoes?

5. Wouldn't most women be especially careful NOT to get pregnant under the circumstances they were living with?

6. How come it took a kid to figure out the creature's one weakness?

7. Why did the father scream at the alien to get it away from the kids? Couldn't he have thrown something away from himself to attract its attention?

8. Electricity - where was it coming from?

Some people here and on IMDB have mentioned the fact that the mother was able to shoot the thing in the face and kill it and if she could do it why didn't the army? Well I believe it was because when it had its face opened because of the high frequency sound it was vulnerable where it wasn't at other times. That's my take on it.

While the acting was very good and it was different than a lot of movies out there, so much didn't make sense that I found it distracting. My son had already seen it and loved it so we watched it together and I was asking him a lot of these same questions.

I liked the way it ended and I can't imagine how a sequel would be made unless they did a prequel to show how the aliens got there in the first place. You know Hollywood - if a movie makes money, then they must make numerous sequels, prequels, etc.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 07-20-2018 at 07:08 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 07:13 AM

15,556 posts, read 20,138,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
1. Leaving the little kid to walk at the end of the line when they were going home. What normal parent would do that? Most of us would have one parent in front and one in the back.
That did strike me as particularly bone-headed.

Quote:
The same person mowing everyone's lawns on THE WALKING DEAD.

Quote:
3. How come the nail was sticking straight up on the stairs? I know she pulled it with some laundry but nobody would have nailed it like that in the first place. Why didn't she either pull it out or bend it so nobody else would step on it.
That did seem really odd.

Quote:
4. How come they never wore shoes? Wouldn't it have easier to wear some quiet rubber soled shoes than to get bags & bags of sand to lay down to make a path? Since it appeared to be autumn where they were what happens when it gets cold? Still no shoes?
Unfortunately, PayLess ain't gettin' any more stock. Bare feet are much quieter than any shoes, especially on soft sand.

Quote:
5. Wouldn't most women be especially careful NOT to get pregnant under the circumstances they were living with?

Quote:
6. How come it took a kid to figure out the creature's one weakness?
She didn't "figure it out." She was deaf and had a hearing aid. The creatures obviously disrupt any electrical fields in the proximity, and when one got close, her hearing aid wigged out. She noticed. She didn't figure it out so much as stumble upon it. And she was the only one who could because she was the only one in the family wearing a hearing aid.

In a movie with some pretty big plot holes, that one is filled in nicely. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
7. Why did the father scream at the alien to get it away from the kids? Couldn't he have thrown something away from himself to attract its attention?
You really think he could have outrun it?

Quote:
I wondered the same thing throughout the movie. I kept watching for solar panels on the farm. Never saw them.

I loved the movie for what it was. Yeah, it had some plot holes, but it was a very effective sci-fi / horror flick. Besides the great acting, I was really impressed with Krasinki's direction. It was a beautifully shot movie as well.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:07 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,395,492 times
Quote:
I watched this the other night and while I did enjoy the original premise there were too many things that bothered me about the movie and most of them have already been mentioned.

I can't get the spoiler thing to work so don't read any further if you haven't seen it yet.

I liked the way it ended and I can't imagine how a sequel would be made unless they did a prequel to show how the aliens got there in the first place. You know Hollywood - if a movie makes money, then they must make numerous sequels, prequels, etc.

disclaimer -- I can't get Spoiler to work either so don't read if you haven't seen movie.

Boy are you preaching to the choir with me! I was so full of questions!

First boldface: In real life we would have either hammered it down or pulled it out, but the first certainly would have made too much noise and the second some noise as well. But yes, it seemed an odd place for a nail to begin with!

Second boldface: Exactly...the movie completely skips winter... I can't imagine they ran around BAREFOOT in the snow?? And just how did Dad get all that sand for miles of walking paths...and where, by the way? Oh, and another peeve I had -- since the movie spans about a year and a half and we assume they have walked barefoot ALL that time -- when we see the bottom of the mom's feet

when she puts them in the flooded room, we see they are perfectly baby-smooth. Not a callous anywhere. Oh give me a break .

Third boldface: Well, obviously that was the sacrifice he knew he was making -- why he made sure he told his daughter first he had always loved her. (Another peeve-- of course she is totally concentrating on his sign language, despite the fact that the creature is at that very moment making a lot of noise trying to kill her and her brother, but it's, y'know, totally quiet while she watched Dad say his goodbyes .)

Fourth boldface: I can envision a sequel with the dad, because we don't know for SURE that he was

fatally wounded. We never see him again. Of course that does raise the question of where he was going to get some serious medical care .

On that topic, another peeve -- at the start of the film in the abandoned pharmacy -- why didn't Mom
virtually take the entire pill section home for future use??? I'm sure there would have been cotton balls around to fill the pill containers so they didn't bounce around making noise... clearly they were there with a sick kid...but he gets ONE pill and a sip of water and they're done. (And chiming in with your other question, maybe she would have found some birth control pills or other contraception.) And of course one can raise a million questions about handling the newborn -- besides WHERE did they get/how will they replace an oxygen canister, and the pediatric sized mask -- the kid is going to cry and at

age 1 day he's not likely to follow the sign language...

I'm also wondering how they handled bathroom issues --as I assume they didn't run over to the main house each time and flush the toilet??

All that said though, I really did like this movie and look forward to a sequel!

Old 07-23-2018, 04:33 PM

326 posts, read 101,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post

All that said though, I really did like this movie and look forward to a sequel!
Agreed... I bought the 4K copy based on the reviews (95% RT with many other sources giving it thumbs up) and I enjoyed it. I didn't really pay much attention to the plot holes I just enjoyed it for what it was... a horror/thriller edge of your seat film.

The home theater presentation was spectacular. I have a 65" OLED with Dolby Atmos sound system and man... the sound really made this "quiet" movie. HDR picture quality was good too.

Well done IMO.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:18 PM

4,799 posts, read 7,760,934 times
It's great IF you care about strange creatures causing mayhem.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,137 posts, read 4,895,374 times
I am watching it now (paused on Plex). I keep thinking about the similarities to Birdbox which I watched last week.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:26 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,137 posts, read 4,895,374 times
Better than Bird Box but a very similar plot........

Old Today, 03:45 PM

14,717 posts, read 14,166,255 times
It did receive one Academy Award nomination: sound editing.

Visuals take over when sound disappears in 'A Quiet Place':
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...228-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies