U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:31 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,539,930 times

Advertisements

Well, so many bad movies because, as was said, people vote with their wallets. Most people have crappy taste - which is why companies like McDonald's have been successful. As people now turn away from movies altogether, studios become frantic and less adventurous. The over-sized budgets also hinder risky choices.

And it doesn't help with news programs highlighting the top-grossing movies, sending people to the same simple-minded junk. I think many people believe that entertainment is best when it's cheerful and simple-minded.

Myself, when I think of the better movies I've seen in recent years, almost none of them have been big Hollywood movies. And most of the truly great movies tend more often to be tragedies, not cheerful at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 PM

9,702 posts, read 5,689,657 times
Or, they have different taste. Movies that I don't see have no affect on me, so, why worry? I sleep well at night.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:11 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,252,431 times
we used to love going to the movies, but are not interested in comic book character heroes, star wars sequels, Hollywood 'message' films, or children's cartoons. eliminating these categories, where does that leave us?

we saw one movie last year in the theater: Dunkirk. this was an all time low for our movie attendance and don't expect 2018 to be any better. we aren't Hollywood's demographic target audience and that is OK. Netflix, amazon, and a slew of other cable and Roku movie options suffice on our big screen tv these days.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
we used to love going to the movies, but are not interested in comic book character heroes, star wars sequels, Hollywood 'message' films, or children's cartoons. eliminating these categories, where does that leave us?
From what is playing today here (in no particular order):

Loveless (2017), Andrey Zvyagintsev **

The Death of Stalin (2017), Armando Iannucci

Happy End (2017), Michael Haneke **

Unsane (2018), Steven Soderbergh **

The Party (2017), Sally Potter

Isle of Dogs (2018), Wes Anderson

** essential

Loveless, Happy End, and The Party are limited release, so you may not have it showing. Isle of Dogs may be also - don't know.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:15 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,539,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Or, they have different taste. Movies that I don't see have no affect on me, so, why worry? I sleep well at night.

I do worry about the continual degradation of taste and standards, and about the way that downward spiral influences society for the rest of us. It's not just confined to movies, but is evident in food, politics, and elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I do worry about the continual degradation of taste and standards, and about the way that downward spiral influences society for the rest of us. It's not just confined to movies, but is evident in food, politics, and elsewhere.
Now you're getting beyond movies.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:58 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,655,969 times
I am surprised no one here mentioned movies made today need to appeal to international audiences for profit. Just having US box office hit isn’t enough. As a result, there are more bad CGI movies with little substance.

Also related, finding investors to bankroll these 9 figure flims to satisfactory can be a challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or