U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 04:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,083,349 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering: Is there a reason why the industry comes out with so many bad movies throughout the year? And when I say "bad movies," what I mean are movies that don't make money. And yes, I've been criticized on this board by others for claiming that when a movie makes money, then that means that it's a good movie, however, SOMEBODY thinks those movies are good or else they wouldn't be paying out their hard-earned money to see those movies. But I digress.

But getting back to the topic, I've noticed that the only movies that make any money these days are mostly science-fiction and fantasy themed movies. And those movies primarily come out during the summer time and during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons. But for the rest of the year, ho-hum, boring movies that don't make any money populate the movie screens where it seems like everyone is waiting for the summer and holiday movies to come out.

For example, when you look at the current week of March 30-April 5, 2018:

Weekly Box Office Results for March 30-April 5, 2018 - Box Office Mojo

you see all of these ho-hum movies that no one wants to see and which don't make any money. Although, the only movies that are making any money are the science-fiction and fantasy themed movies that opened during the non-traditional summer and holiday seasons, such as Black Panther and Ready Player One(which is kind of considered as a pre-summer, warm up movie).

However, even though I am a fan of science-fiction and fantasy movies, I wouldn't have a problem with seeing a really good movie outside of those genres. Plus, if you look at the Top Domestic list Adjusted for Inflation, there are quite a few hit movies that are not in the science-fiction and fantasy-genre:

All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

However, it seems like Hollywood isn't making anymore quality non-science-fiction/fantasy movies anymore. And I'm guessing that's because a movie such as that would be a big budget movie, and Hollywood would be taking a risk in making big budget non-science-fiction/fantasy movies. Although instead, while waiting for the summer or holiday movies, we get movies such as Red Sparrow and Tyler Perry's Acrimony. However, perhaps those movies were good, but seeing that no one else was going to see those movies, personally, I didn't want to take the risk of seeing them myself.(Although, I should be more patient with Acrimony since it's only been out for a week. But still, it doesn't really look like that good of a movie.)

So the solution? Well, if Hollywood doesn't want to take risks in producing quality big budget non-science-fiction/fantasy movies throughout the year, they should at least produce more interesting movies throughout the year that people actually want to see.

Any thoughts about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:57 PM

9,665 posts, read 5,661,419 times
I vote with my wallet.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,083,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I vote with my wallet.
Well, it looks like somebody agrees with my point of view.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:26 PM

1,573 posts, read 557,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I was just wondering: Is there a reason why the industry comes out with so many bad movies throughout the year? And when I say "bad movies," what I mean are movies that don't make money. And yes, I've been criticized on this board by others for claiming that when a movie makes money, then that means that it's a good movie, however, SOMEBODY thinks those movies are good or else they wouldn't be paying out their hard-earned money to see those movies. But I digress.
Because for the most part, no one really knows what's going to make money.

There are some sure things - or close to sure things. There are bankable stars and bankable franchises. There are directors who will make money no matter what they do, at least for a while. And even such stars occasionally lay an egg. But there are only so many of these to go around. And eventually they are no longer bankable, and new bankables are only found by investors taking chances on young and unproven talent.

This is hardly limited to movies. Lots of books lose money. Lots of music loses money. Lots of food products lose money (that's why so many new items and flavors disappear from the shelves before long). Lots of athlete signings lose money for the team that signed them.

Lots of stocks lose money.

It's basically the nature of capitalism. Generally, there are more winners than losers. But there are losers. And some people are better at picking winners than others, but no one really knows what will be a success and what won't be.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 PM

13,865 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
I was just wondering: Is there a reason why the industry comes out with so many bad movies throughout the year?
My question is: why do they come out with so many mediocre films from January to November? i will never understand why all the good movies come out in the last 6 weeks of the year, simply because of film awards ceremonies.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:24 PM

1,109 posts, read 857,862 times
Through history tons and tons of movies were produced. Kinda hard to come up with a plot that hadn't been hashed over and over and over and...

Old 04-07-2018, 06:27 PM

9,265 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Every movie has its audience. To them, it's not a bad movie.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:42 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Every movie has its audience. To them, it's not a bad movie.
I have been in the audience of many bad movies
But movies in my area are not as expensive as in others and we normally go to daytime showings which are less expensive anyway
I am always ready to suspend reality and try to enjoy a movie's world
Most of the time there is something redeemable about a movie if you aren't too critical

Went to see "The Miracle Season" and I guess for the people who were involved in writing the script, making the movie, and knew the real people involved in the story it was great to see their idea turned into a film and have others in US and around the world know about their friend Caroline Found

but I have certainly seem better sports movies--even done by some people without lot of prior experience
They were lucky to have Helen Hunt and William Hurt who are name actors but lot of the other stuff was just passable....and I thought it went out of its way to enshrine a young teen...I wonder how they got their financing...

Certainly not up there with "Hoosiers", "Rocky" (Lot of first time people involved in that one), "Rudy"--or even films like "Edge of America" about a girls' basketball team at Three Nations Reservation high school, supposedly based on real events...

Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
You can hire the hottest director in town, hire the most popular actors, give it topnotch special effects, spend millions on marketing, but if your script sucks then your movie is going to suck.

All the truly GREAT writing is happening on TV. Quality talent went where they are respected.

It ain't rocket surgery.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 PM

9,665 posts, read 5,661,419 times
Quote:
Well, it looks like somebody agrees with my point of view.
Not really. I don't worry about bad movies, and choose to see only what I want to see, and it works out around 95 percent of the time. Choose wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or