U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:23 PM

9,714 posts, read 5,698,825 times

Advertisements

Just because a film is a documentary does NOT always mean it will be more truthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:23 PM

30,727 posts, read 9,185,057 times
Big surprise. The NYT asserts a "fact" that TK "immediately and forever after felt deep remorse...blah, blah, and blah..." And they know this...how? Because he said so? I see. Then they follow it up with a list of TK's "accomplishments." Another big surprise.

I haven't seen the movie, and won't until it comes out on DVD. From preview clips, it appears they're taking license with conversations between two people, alone. That's always suspect. As for facts, they're readily available, and have been for decades.

The only fact anyone should care about is that he caused an accident, and left a woman to die a horrific death. Then, for close to 10 hours, he did everything but report the accident to authorities--including calling his German mistress, a passel of Kennedy goons, and "sleeping it off."

And, oh yeah...the people of Massachusetts who continued to re-elect him still thought he was the best thing since peanut butter.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM

11,168 posts, read 6,646,350 times
If I enjoy a movie that is based on real events/real people, it usually interests me enough to look up the real story online. Sometimes it is to see how true the story was, not that I ever expect a fictional piece of work to be 100% true. Other times its just to learn more.

If a "based on real events" movie is too outlandish, it can sometimes take me out of the movie as I keep thinking no way that happened. Again, I don't expect a documentary and realize that plenty of artistic licenses are going to be taken. But some films need to learn to distinguish between "based on true events", "Loosely based on real events" and "The main character has the same name, and everything else is basically made up." If you're going to make up all the facts, why not go all in and create an original story?

Old 04-15-2018, 05:42 PM

27,611 posts, read 45,130,039 times
Some of the best movies for capturing the reality of an historical event are really fiction
I makes my angry when I see a movie that purports to be "based on true events" which implies the story line is accurate historically and then it isn't...
"Spotlight" was well done but how accurate as to the real people involved I can only assume it was because the real people didn't speak out and claim they were maligned or misrepresented--after all it was based on book that they wrote...

"Saving Private Ryan" one of the best movies about WWII's Normandy invasion EVER and based on false premise with fictional characters
"The Long Walk Home" about the Montgomery Bus Boycott--historical event but told through eyes of totally ficticious characters
"Lonesome Dove", not a movie--tv serial--but still accurate as all get out about life in TX and the cowboy era

Documentaries, just like fictional films, have agendas and points of view--because it takes passion to make any kind of film...
Consider the "documentary" Leni Reifenstahl made --"Triumph of the Will"
Totally successful, totally in line with the Furher's vision of the Aryan Race and its destiny
And total bunk...

Old 04-15-2018, 05:48 PM

27,611 posts, read 45,130,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Big surprise. The NYT asserts a "fact" that TK "immediately and forever after felt deep remorse...blah, blah, and blah..." And they know this...how? Because he said so? I see. Then they follow it up with a list of TK's "accomplishments." Another big surprise.

I haven't seen the movie, and won't until it comes out on DVD. From preview clips, it appears they're taking license with conversations between two people, alone. That's always suspect. As for facts, they're readily available, and have been for decades.

The only fact anyone should care about is that he caused an accident, and left a woman to die a horrific death. Then, for close to 10 hours, he did everything but report the accident to authorities--including calling his German mistress, a passel of Kennedy goons, and "sleeping it off."

And, oh yeah...the people of Massachusetts who continued to re-elect him still thought he was the best thing since peanut butter.
Saw the movie
It left out Kennedy calling his German mistress
But it certainly didn't make him out to be any kind of a mistreated hero
If anything, it proved how myth occluded fact and how (at the beginning) he knew he was less than his brothers, had less to offer the country, and then used his brothers' deaths and reputations to protect his own guilt and selfishness...

I didn't realize that she had been able to breath in that air pocket for quite a while after the accident
That if they had called the police ASAP, she likely could have been saved
I couldn't believe her family stayed quiet after they knew that fact...

Old 04-16-2018, 01:46 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,858,239 times
No historically based film ever passes the sniff test 100%.

The Crown is so loose with the facts that I would classify it as historical fiction.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:08 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,452,856 times
Once the realm of hard science is left, my suspicion is that fiction is more common than fact. Meaning that I believe that I may see and hear more fiction than fact...though the presentation leads one to expect fact.

Facts are frequently offensive.

As far as "fact based" movies are concerned, I would expect little more than a general relationship to the gist of the actual occurrence.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 AM

702 posts, read 760,897 times
I think the movie, The Longest Day was pretty accurate, mainly because many of the people involved in it survived the war and acted as consultants on the film.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 AM

15,150 posts, read 19,789,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't go to these kinds of movie expecting it to be a documentary.
Ditto.

A movie must first and foremost succeed as a drama. If it can do that and adhere to the facts, that's great. But if it has to jettison facts for the drama, I don't really have a problem with that.

Oliver Stone's JFK is a great example. JFK is a truly GREAT movie. Fantastic drama, and it is definitely on of the Top 10 movies of all time in terms of brilliant editing, pacing, etc. A real masterpiece. But in terms of historic accuracy, it isn't just wrong, it's ridiculous. By the time you get to the end of the movie, you realize Stone wants us to believe that the Mafia, anti-Castro Cubans, Lyndon Johnson, the Catholic Church, Russian communists, Texas businessmen, and a cult of Southern homosexuals conspired to kill JFK. Seemingly the only people not involved were the Boy Scouts and the Arbor Day Foundation.

BRAVEHEART is another good example. Does it succeed as a moving period piece drama? Yes. In every respect. Is it an accurate portrayal of William Wallace, Edward Longshanks, Robert the Bruce, or Scotland in that time period? Nope. Not even a little.

Even Shakespeare didn't hesitate to throw historic accuracy out the window to preserve the drama. Why should modern movies do any different?

Old 04-20-2018, 12:45 PM

16,914 posts, read 51,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ditto.

A movie must first and foremost succeed as a drama. If it can do that and adhere to the facts, that's great. But if it has to jettison facts for the drama, I don't really have a problem with that.

Oliver Stone's JFK is a great example. JFK is a truly GREAT movie. Fantastic drama, and it is definitely on of the Top 10 movies of all time in terms of brilliant editing, pacing, etc. A real masterpiece. But in terms of historic accuracy, it isn't just wrong, it's ridiculous. By the time you get to the end of the movie, you realize Stone wants us to believe that the Mafia, anti-Castro Cubans, Lyndon Johnson, the Catholic Church, Russian communists, Texas businessmen, and a cult of Southern homosexuals conspired to kill JFK. Seemingly the only people not involved were the Boy Scouts and the Arbor Day Foundation.

BRAVEHEART is another good example. Does it succeed as a moving period piece drama? Yes. In every respect. Is it an accurate portrayal of William Wallace, Edward Longshanks, Robert the Bruce, or Scotland in that time period? Nope. Not even a little.

Even Shakespeare didn't hesitate to throw historic accuracy out the window to preserve the drama. Why should modern movies do any different?
Truly a coffee spew LOL line. I'm still chuckling. And what makes you THINK the Arbor Day Foundation wasn't involved???

Braveheart was just a Mel Gibson excuse to butter up his ego. Anyone with even a passing knowledge can't help but dislike the free and loose playing with history. As someone who may have had an ancestor murdered by WW in his grab for power, WW got what (for those times) was justice.

The documentary "Waco" is about the only documentary that I can think of offhand that even began to meet the definition of documentary (not that it didn't have flaws).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies