U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 PM

8 posts, read 2,011 times

Advertisements

AYAOTD sure was scary for a kids' show, far moreso than many graphically violent R-rated Horror movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 07:46 AM

13,886 posts, read 13,552,692 times
Certainly not a series, but to me, one of the all time most frightening films: "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin.

Wait Until Dark (1967) - IMDb

Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 PM

2,686 posts, read 963,998 times
Alien
Predators
Jeepers Creepers, only the first one

There's another with at least 2 movies about a preacher doing an exorcism as a sham only to find out it's not a sham at all. The first one was really good, the second, meh.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 PM

5,597 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexinator View Post
Hey all, new here. Seems like a cool forum to be with a wide variety of topics. It seems here in the movies forum all sorts of film topics are abound. Thought this would be fun for any of the Horror fans here, seems there's some. I've been a lifelong fan for many years and grew up with most of the major series. Of the following Horror series with at least three or more movies, which is your single favorite entry in each? Just cut and paste the list and replace with your choices and feel free to add any other series I forgot.

---

Friday The 13th
Halloween
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Saw
Scream
Evil Dead
Phantasm
Alien
Predator
Hellraiser
Child's Play
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Final Destination
Insidious
The Conjuring
The Purge
Paranormal Activity

With regard to all of the above, the first movie in each series is the best (some flirt with, and meet, classic status). Exceptions include Final Destination and Paranormal Activity, which to me are subpar shock-suspense horror films. ANoES is overrated, too, but it has its fans.

Quote:
And some additionals:

Hannibal Lecter - The Silence Of The Lambs
Puppet Master - Puppet Master 4
Maniac Cop - Maniac Cop 2
Romero's Living Dead - Day Of The Dead (1985)
Return Of The Living Dead - Part II
Poltergeist - Poltergeist II
Jaws - Original
Cube - Original
Tremors - Original
Leprechaun - Original
Blade - Blade II
Wishmaster - Original
Warlock - Undecided between either of the first two
Amityville - Only seen the original, remake and It's About Time
Resident Evil - Seen the first two, need to see the rest to make fair judgment
Same thing again, the first movies are the best, except no Warlock movie is a good one.

Where Romero's fine Dead trilogy is concerned, my favorite is Dawn, but I love 'em all.

Quote:
I bet me liking the TCM remake is bound to raise more than a few eyebrows.
I do have to ask why you'd rate this one over the 1974 original. I didn't like the redo at all.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:40 PM

I don't dislike the original TCM by any means, I just simply found the remake more enjoyable. Not to say it's better, just more entertaining to me.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:31 PM

12,992 posts, read 5,399,067 times
To me this is easy. It’s always the first movie...always! It wouldn’t be a franchise if the first movie sucked. I’m not much of a slasher movie fan though, so haven’t seen a lot of the movies here. Halloween was good, one of the best in my opinion. I wasn’t a fan of the Friday the 13th movies. That’s when they went from shock and suspense to blood and gore. I prefer the former. I did make an exception for A Nightmare on Elm Street. That movie scared the bejeesus out of me, but the story was so unique.

One movie I thought was scary but didn’t really qualify as horror was Stir of Echoes. I don’t know why, but it really creeped me out and I thought about it often. It was the bathroom scene where the wife was brushing her teeth, completely unaware there was a dead girl watching her. Yikes!

I did like the first Purge movie, but the rest not so much.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:54 PM

That reminds me how I actually have Stir Of Echoes on my DVR box, been meaning to watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or