U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:37 AM

15,144 posts, read 19,789,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
And finding out that Grandpa knew the whole time what was going on... - LOVE this movie. Maybe you have to have lived in the 1980's to understand the appeal. Keifer, the two Corys, good times!
I was 15 when this movie came out. Perfect age to see the movie. But I thought it was a bad movie then. I actually think it's worse now. The only really great acting amongst the main cast is Keifer Sutherland, and he's basically just playing an MTV version of his character from STAND BY ME. Corey Haim is trying, but his character is so badly written that there isn't much he can do. And I think Corey Feldman was playing the whole thing as a joke, kind of a kid pretending to be Sylvester Stallone.

But the worst crime of all for a vampire movie: The vampires aren't scary. At all. They come across as leftover extras from a Billy Idol video.

THE LOST BOYS is a poser, fitting both definitions:

"poser" definition: 1. a person who acts in an affected manner in order to impress others. 2. a difficult or perplexing question or problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 11:42 AM

13,247 posts, read 11,826,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
I like it but not love it..but it always stuck out as a cool movie. Like something only cool people would see.
Totally cool. I fail to see how it isn't cool.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 PM

4,767 posts, read 7,563,558 times
Corey Haim (RIP) singing "Ain't Got a Home" in the bathtub while all hell is going down...

And Dianne Wiest as the Mom. She has never made a bad movie I don't believe.

I count The Lost Boys as one of my all time favorites. As I said, may have to have been a part of the 1980's culture to appreciate it.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:21 AM

14,556 posts, read 11,567,237 times
Loved the music, loved the filming.. liked some of the acting.. and have watched it more than twice...

Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM

5,625 posts, read 2,460,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Hugely popular when I was a teenager. But honestly, even as a teenager I hated this movie. Some of the cinematography was really good. A couple of the actors were good. But most of the acting isn't just sub-par, it's downright bad. But the killer is the story itself, which is beyond dumb. And this is coming from the guy who loved SILVER BULLET and FRIGHT NIGHT. THE LOST BOYS is trying so desperately hard to be edgy and cool. It's just posing.

So I tried watching THE LOST BOYS again the other day, thinking maybe I was just a petulant teenager who hated everything.

Nope. This movie still sucks.

So everyone out there who loves this movie (I know you're out there), please explain to me why. What am I not seeing?
The Lost Boys, like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Pretty in Pink, is another overrated flick many hold up as a flawed gem representative of the decade.

A better vampire film released the very same year, Near Dark was directed by (guess who) future Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow. With a great cast composed of Adrian Pasdar, Jenny Wright, Lance Henriksen, Jenette Goldstein, Bill Paxton, and the inimitable Tim Thomerson, Near Dark rests in nigh-obscurity while The Lost Boys basks in an endless confetti rain.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The Lost Boys, like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Pretty in Pink, is another overrated flick many hold up as a flawed gem representative of the decade.
FDDO is a fun comedy that you love when you're 15. As an adult, you realize that Ferris really is a bit of an a-hole. I've never been able to sit through PiP in its entirely. Blech.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:23 PM

5,625 posts, read 2,460,456 times
Quote:
FDDO is a fun comedy that you love when you're 15. As an adult, you realize that Ferris really is a bit of an a-hole. I've never been able to sit through PiP in its entirely. Blech.
It's a movie about a guy who already has everything and wants more, and whines about it and is unapologetic. The first time it was funny, entertaining. It's been a nothingburger ever since. The fact that TBS or USA played it a dozen times per weekend for four months straight didn't help.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Totally cool. I fail to see how it isn't cool.
It rings false.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:31 PM

13,247 posts, read 11,826,770 times
Quote:
It rings false.
I don’t agree with you that the vampires aren’t scary. The “Walk This Way” scene was scary (and cool!). But the movie was more funny than scary to me and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a horror movie that the whole family can enjoy. I first saw it when I was quite young.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 12,473,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don’t agree with you that the vampires aren’t scary. The “Walk This Way” scene was scary (and cool!). But the movie was more funny than scary to me and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a horror movie that the whole family can enjoy. I first saw it when I was quite young.
They were visually scary when showing their true form, but what was scarier was how cool they were. These were guys to hang out with on a warm night in Cali, drinking brews and riding motorcycles. Anyone would want to hang out with them, they could pull a person in easy.

Then, by the fire on the beach while taking a swig of beer-They decide to surprise you-and and the suprise is not pleasant at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or