U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM

13,240 posts, read 11,793,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
They were visually scary when showing their true form, but what was scarier was how cool they were. These were guys to hang out with on a warm night in Cali, drinking brews and riding motorcycles. Anyone would want to hang out with them, they could pull a person in easy.

Then, by the fire on the beach while taking a swig of beer-They decide to surprise you-and and the suprise is not pleasant at all...
Exactly!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 11:01 PM

3,008 posts, read 982,783 times
I too thought the movie is overrated when my friend showed to it me. It's not terrible by any means but I don't think it's that good either. I did however, really laugh at the ending with the Grandpa knowing all along and that was really good.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 PM

13,027 posts, read 5,418,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It rings false.
Lol, gee, a vampire movie rings false! Who’d a thunk?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:07 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,825,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
....set in and around Santa Monica, CA...whats NOT to like!
What gives that impression? The town of Santa Carla is fictional and was pretty much entirely filmed in Santa Cruz.
The giant shell stage is, or rather was, just off the Boardwalk.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:15 AM

15,104 posts, read 19,754,614 times
Quote:
They were visually scary when showing their true form, but what was scarier was how cool they were. These were guys to hang out with on a warm night in Cali, drinking brews and riding motorcycles.
That's exactly what I mean. Street thugs and homeless kids don't ride around on motorcycles in $700 outfits and $200 haircuts, even in Southern California. And the good guys, even though they were supposed to be a broken family so down on their luck that they had to move back in with grandpa, the oldest kid's haircut cost more than my first car, Corey Haim wore designer clothes, etc. Jami Gertz is supposedly enthralled to a little vampire cult, but she never once even looks worried, much less scared. Just petulant, like dad won't let her have the keys to the car.

This movie is the picture perfect definition of the Poser. It's an MTV-inspired fantasy of what rich suburban white kids imagine "cool" to be. It rings false in every way.

And no, the vampires are not even a little scary. The vampire in FRIGHT NIGHT was much scarier --- and that too was equal parts comedy and horror.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean. Street thugs and homeless kids don't ride around on motorcycles in $700 outfits and $200 haircuts, even in Southern California. And the good guys, even though they were supposed to be a broken family so down on their luck that they had to move back in with grandpa, the oldest kid's haircut cost more than my first car, Corey Haim wore designer clothes, etc. Jami Gertz is supposedly enthralled to a little vampire cult, but she never once even looks worried, much less scared. Just petulant, like dad won't let her have the keys to the car.

This movie is the picture perfect definition of the Poser. It's an MTV-inspired fantasy of what rich suburban white kids imagine "cool" to be. It rings false in every way.

And no, the vampires are not even a little scary. The vampire in FRIGHT NIGHT was much scarier --- and that too was equal parts comedy and horror.
How do you manage to enjoy ANY movie if you’re focusing on stuff like this? lol

Old 04-18-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
How do you manage to enjoy ANY movie if you’re focusing on stuff like this? lol
Quality you mean?

I love movies. Which is why I demand quality from them. Not pretense.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Quality you mean?

I love movies. Which is why I demand quality from them. Not pretense.
I certainly never watched it and thought about the cost of anyone’s haircut or clothing. Of course the characters are supposed to be attractive. If movies were realistic, you’d see a lot more ugly people in them, but no one wants to see that. If you can’t just sit back, suspend disbelief, and enjoy the pretty vampires without overanalyzing everything then no, this isn’t the movie for you.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 PM

10,335 posts, read 12,442,115 times
Quote:

You must have been hopping mad over Twilight's depiction of vampires, with thier sparkly skin and runway fashion outfits lol. Fright Night was awesome and scary I agree there.

Most films have a plot hole, or story arc that requires some suspension of disbelief. I would like to add that Lost Boys made me interested in the famous Santa Monica pier and park, which I have still not visited despite visiting states relatively close by.

I will see it in my life, and will pack garlic and some stakes just in case.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You must have been hopping mad over Twilight's depiction of vampires, with thier sparkly skin and runway fashion outfits lol.
Ha! I wouldn't know. I never watched it. I could smell that one a mile away.

Quote:
Most films have a plot hole, or story arc that requires some suspension of disbelief.
I am perfectly willing to suspend disbelief. But "suspend disbelief" does not and has never meant "turn off brain."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or