U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2018, 01:08 PM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,437,890 times
Reputation: 3187

Advertisements

I've not watched any of those Twilight movies. Don't plan to. I even made fun of a dude I used to work with for having the (first) book on his desk: "Turn in your ManCard, buddy!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2018, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,332 posts, read 12,430,418 times
Reputation: 15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ha! I wouldn't know. I never watched it. I could smell that one a mile away.




I am perfectly willing to suspend disbelief. But "suspend disbelief" does not and has never meant "turn off brain."

You should check out 30 days of night if you want scary feral looking vampires. The story is written really well also pretty realistic overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 AM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,230 posts, read 11,780,404 times
Reputation: 15263
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
You should check out 30 days of night if you want scary feral looking vampires. The story is written really well also pretty realistic overall.
I like 30 Days of Night and maybe the OP would prefer it, but it wasnít that memorable to me. I have the DVD and never watch it. I donít think anyone will be talking about 30 Days of Night thirty years after its release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 AM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,437,890 times
Reputation: 3187
30 Days of Night starts out well enough, has a good premise, but it doesn't hold itself together all the way to the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,097 posts, read 19,740,991 times
Reputation: 17220
In terms of "scary vampires," the reigning king is still Tobe Hooper's 'SALEM'S LOT from the '70s. I don't think the movie as a whole is all that great, but the vampires in that movie are really scary.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1V0U41HI4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHNO7w1xsQk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 AM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,437,890 times
Reputation: 3187
^I loved that movie. Still do. There's an inherent creepiness there that so many other vampire flicks sorely lack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
11,024 posts, read 13,645,792 times
Reputation: 8470
Agree about Salem's Lot. When that vampire bent the Preacher's cross in half, it startled me. And he wasn't the present day 90210 looking vampire, he was Nosferatu all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 07:13 AM
 
6,286 posts, read 1,522,679 times
Reputation: 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
30 Days of Night starts out well enough, has a good premise, but it doesn't hold itself together all the way to the end.
I liked 30 Days of night quite a bit, I think its a more realistic depiction of what vampires would really be like (if they existed), far too many vampire movie have the vamps seducing women, trying to blend in with human society, etc.

The 30 Days of Night vampires are vicious predators, only after one thing...their next meal, they have no interest in 'blending in' or seduction. I also liked how they had shark like teeth instead of just two fangs.

My favorite part of the movie was when they used that girl for bait and had her walk down the street calling out for help, when the head vamp talks to her, she cries out to God, he looks up and around and says "NO God", that was pretty freaky scary to me, those solid black eyes and rows of sharp teeth just scream EVIL.

The sequels were dumb though, they could have done something much better imo, like a prequels/ origin theme, how the lead vamp became a vamp, how the group formed, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,332 posts, read 12,430,418 times
Reputation: 15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I liked 30 Days of night quite a bit, I think its a more realistic depiction of what vampires would really be like (if they existed), far too many vampire movie have the vamps seducing women, trying to blend in with human society, etc.

The 30 Days of Night vampires are vicious predators, only after one thing...their next meal, they have no interest in 'blending in' or seduction. I also liked how they had shark like teeth instead of just two fangs.

My favorite part of the movie was when they used that girl for bait and had her walk down the street calling out for help, when the head vamp talks to her, she cries out to God, he looks up and around and says "NO God", that was pretty freaky scary to me, those solid black eyes and rows of sharp teeth just scream EVIL.

The sequels were dumb though, they could have done something much better imo, like a prequels/ origin theme, how the lead vamp became a vamp, how the group formed, etc.
I agree. They did have a demonic/evil look to them. The part in the beginning with the deputies being attacked in thier truck was great. The landscape with the dark figure in pursuit had a sense of foreboding dread. Even thier creepy human friend was not spared from the vampires rain of doom!

I saw the second part and it was pretty silly. Sometimes just one story is good enough. It went straight to DVD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 08:29 AM
 
3,816 posts, read 2,015,370 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's exactly what I mean. Street thugs and homeless kids don't ride around on motorcycles in $700 outfits and $200 haircuts, even in Southern California. And the good guys, even though they were supposed to be a broken family so down on their luck that they had to move back in with grandpa, the oldest kid's haircut cost more than my first car, Corey Haim wore designer clothes, etc. Jami Gertz is supposedly enthralled to a little vampire cult, but she never once even looks worried, much less scared. Just petulant, like dad won't let her have the keys to the car.

This movie is the picture perfect definition of the Poser. It's an MTV-inspired fantasy of what rich suburban white kids imagine "cool" to be. It rings false in every way.

And no, the vampires are not even a little scary. The vampire in FRIGHT NIGHT was much scarier --- and that too was equal parts comedy and horror.

I don't think this movie is scary by any means, but it is fun and you just have to suspend disbelief for an hour. There are far better vampires movies out there for sure, but sometimes campy is good too. Besides, it's a movie and is there to entertain. I was very entertained. I love the soundtrack. It's one of those movies I enjoy popping in every now and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top