U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:13 AM

15,159 posts, read 19,801,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
We used to make so many high quality movies that I am still catching up. Now we tend to rely more on sequels and the super hero genre.

Sequels require very little creativity and imagination. The same holds true for super hero movies which are generally an orgy of eye popping CGI special effects.
I think we may be seeing the past through rose-colored glasses. Movies have always released a few good movies every year, a whole lot of crap, and now and then a classic. Nothing has really changed in that regard. The '70s were the golden era of American movie making. Some of the best American movies ever made came out in the '70s.

But don't forget that the '70s also gave us AVALANCHE, AVALANCHE EXPRESS, ROLLER BOOGIE, METEOR, C.H.O.M.P.S., DEATH BED: THE BED THAT EATS, EXORCIST II, TENTACLES, THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN, THE SWARM, and just when you thought bad movies couldn't get any worse; THE TRIAL OF BILLY JACK. And let's not forget SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, and I can promise you before this thread ends, someone will come along to say, "Hey, I liked SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT!"

The very real problem you may be seeing is that most of the really talented writers have fled the movies for TV. So if you're missing really great writing at the movies, stay home and turn on HBO, AMC, FX, Netflix, Amazon, etc. There is some great stuff on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
And music? Don't get me started on that one.
You're right. Movie music these days is just filler to keep the silence at bay. When was the last time you heard movie music or a theme that you could remember well enough to hum five minutes later? I'd guess it's probably either STAR WARS or one of the HARRY POTTER flicks, because thank God, John Williams is still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 AM

8,126 posts, read 3,967,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're right. Movie music these days is just filler to keep the silence at bay. When was the last time you heard movie music or a theme that you could remember well enough to hum five minutes later? I'd guess it's probably either STAR WARS or one of the HARRY POTTER flicks, because thank God, John Williams is still alive.
I don't even want to think of a time when John Williams is no longer with us. His contribution to major motion pictures over the last 50+ years is astounding.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 AM

15,139 posts, read 8,660,482 times
Why so many bad movies?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:56 AM

16,920 posts, read 51,555,813 times
"Hey, I liked SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT!"

It was a FUN film. FWIW, "Fargo" was NOT mainstream. It was introduced on the arthouse circuit. There was a period when Sony had one arm investing in art, independent, and foreign. And don't forget Harvey, for all his faults.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:59 AM

5,638 posts, read 2,466,462 times
Quote:
I think we may be seeing the past through rose-colored glasses. Movies have always released a few good movies every year, a whole lot of crap, and now and then a classic. Nothing has really changed in that regard. The '70s were the golden era of American movie making. Some of the best American movies ever made came out in the '70s.

But don't forget that the '70s also gave us AVALANCHE, AVALANCHE EXPRESS, ROLLER BOOGIE, METEOR, C.H.O.M.P.S., DEATH BED: THE BED THAT EATS, EXORCIST II, TENTACLES, THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN, THE SWARM, and just when you thought bad movies couldn't get any worse; THE TRIAL OF BILLY JACK. And let's not forget SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, and I can promise you before this thread ends, someone will come along to say, "Hey, I liked SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT!"
That person will be me. Why do you hate it?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't even want to think of a time when John Williams is no longer with us. His contribution to major motion pictures over the last 50+ years is astounding.
Tell me about. We've already lost Basil Poledouris and Jerry Goldsmith, among others.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That person will be me. Why do you hate it?
I don't hate it. It's fun. But it's dumb fun. It started the trend of Burt Reynolds saying "yes" to a lot of movies to which he REALLY should have said "no." It was the beginning of the end of his career.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:02 PM

^Stroker Ace is forgettable fodder, right in there with Paternity and Rent-A-Cop. SATB is a primo slice of Cinema Americana that got stained by two horrid sequels. Watch I and II back to back and you'll see how different they are. The characterizations are so off, it seems like a different movie that they haphazardly tossed the players into. And then you have Dom DeLuise and the elephants...oy!

There's another movie I'm sure you hate, which I love, called Hot Stuff, that featured both Jerry Reed and Dom DeLuise, along with Suzanne Pleshette and Ossie Davis (wow, all of them are dead). I love those un-PC '70s comedies.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There's another movie I'm sure you hate, which I love, called Hot Stuff, that featured both Jerry Reed and Dom DeLuise, along with Suzanne Pleshette and Ossie Davis (wow, all of them are dead). I love those un-PC '70s comedies.
HOT STUFF is great! Written by Donald Westlake. How could it not be awesome?

Jerry Reed was actually an under-appreciated comic actor. Ever seen THE SURVIVORS? It stars Robin Williams and Walter Matthau (a comedy god). But Jerry Reed steals every scene he's in.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
HOT STUFF is great! Written by Donald Westlake. How could it not be awesome?

Jerry Reed was actually an under-appreciated comic actor. Ever seen THE SURVIVORS? It stars Robin Williams and Walter Matthau (a comedy god). But Jerry Reed steals every scene he's in.
Jerry Reed wore many hats, beginning with monster guitarist. I had no idea what level of musician he was for many years. IIRC, Elvis tried to cover one of his songs and he or his band's guitarist simply could not nail the guitar line, so the big E had to call for Jerry, who was off fishing, to come down and play it.

Jerry proved himself to be a versatile actor and even directed one of his own films, the poorly-received What Comes Around (1985). I haven't seen that movie, so at some point I should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies