U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:15 PM

13,022 posts, read 5,409,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
My point is that there just as many mediocre and bad movies made in the 90s as today --- and the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s for that matter.

But I do agree that there aren't a whole lot of good movies being made these days. Why? All the writing and directorial talent is working on television.

The writing on channels like HBO, AMC, FX, ITV, etc. is putting the movies to absolute shame. But TV even has some masterful directing and cinematography happening. Check out Season 2, episode 7 of Better Call Saul. You won't see a movie this year with better direction, camera work, or writing than that episode. It's a masterpiece of filmmaking.

Cable TV fosters creative storytelling. The movies stifle it.
I know for every Pulp Fiction, there was a Freddie Got Fingered. I’m just absolutely astounded that the supposed good movies these days aren’t even something I’d watch for free when it comes to cable. Yes, television is where it’s at, but the bigger problem is that studios have given up on American audiences (at least over the age of 15).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:44 PM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know for every Pulp Fiction, there was a Freddie Got Fingered. Iím just absolutely astounded that the supposed good movies these days arenít even something Iíd watch for free when it comes to cable. Yes, television is where itís at, but the bigger problem is that studios have given up on American audiences (at least over the age of 15).
Yeah, I think that's largely true. But there's a reason for it: Most audiences are around 15. That's most of who is at the movies these days. Adults are staying home and watching TV instead, so the studios are catering to their audience.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, I think that's largely true. But there's a reason for it: Most audiences are around 15. That's most of who is at the movies these days. Adults are staying home and watching TV instead, so the studios are catering to their audience.
Is it a chicken and egg thing though? I would go see movies at the theater if there were movies Iíd want to see.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 AM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Is it a chicken and egg thing though? I would go see movies at the theater if there were movies Iíd want to see.
I dunno. These days I mostly only go to the movies when my kids drag me there. Otherwise I ask myself: Do I really want to pay $40 to go see a movie in the middle of a crowded room full of obnoxious teenagers, or would I rather wait 3 months and spend $15 for the DVD that I can watch in the privacy of my own home at my leisure?

Most of the time, I'm content to wait for the DVD.

I don't remember the last time I went to the theater and thought: Wow! I'm so glad I saw that on the big screen!

Old 04-27-2018, 03:13 PM

9,677 posts, read 5,674,281 times
I don't like to waste time worrying about movies I'll never see. If others like them, more power to them. Focus on what you like. There's several upcoming movies I'm excited about. Some have already been through release and I'm waiting for it to stream or come to dvd.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:23 PM

11,832 posts, read 7,714,980 times
Blame people, a lot of creatively good movies gets no support at the box office. How many hollywood investors and producers are willing to risk sinking over $200mil to produce duds. It's easier to use winning franchises and just keep rehashing. Who knows how many more Fast & Furious will there be, maybe another 10 more movies.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:15 AM

8,899 posts, read 4,840,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I like to see good, new movies at the theater. I mostly see offerings such as described in post #1.

Are you seriously saying there has been no decline in general movie quality?
We-ll, I myself don't bother with the theater anymore and that really is a pity.

Up to 1993ish, I use to be a heck of a movie goer. Local theaters a short distance away with nice afternoon prices that enabled me to spend 90 minutes-2 hours in another world. Then I would walk out into the sunlight, blink, and marvel at the refreshed feeling.

But around then, things changed a lot and it was no longer fun. The local movie house became this big building out on the skirts of town. I could no longer ride my bike there but had to drive. The prices went up. The audience often was impolite to others by not allowing people to enjoy the movie. It may not have been intentional to others, mind you, but they were inconsiderate to others.

It didn't happen all at once but it reduced the reason to go to the movies to things like seeing a movie with Mom (she was paying) or holiday family gathering.

I would imagine that others aren't as ready to go to the theater probably because of the higher prices now.

So then let's look at the subject matter on the screen. Where are you going to put your best bet of movie making if people aren't that anxious to go to the movies in the first place?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 PM

They don’t even have to be big budget movies, just good. I remember loving the narrator movies where they look back to when they were kids, like Stand By Me, Simon Birch, Now and Then, The Sandlot, etc. Those were good, and probably not very expensive since the only big actor was usually the narrator (who you barely saw).

Or big actor movies that weren’t action flicks, like When Harry Met Sally. Or the good love stories like You’ve Got Mail. To me, those were worth going to the theater for. The problem nowadays could be that they put them out on video so quickly after their first run that it makes me not want to waste my money going to the theater. Why bother when it will be out on video in a couple of months?

Old 05-05-2018, 08:01 AM

9,677 posts, read 5,674,281 times
Quote:
They donít even have to be big budget movies, just good. I remember loving the narrator movies where they look back to when they were kids, like Stand By Me, Simon Birch, Now and Then, The Sandlot, etc. Those were good, and probably not very expensive since the only big actor was usually the narrator (who you barely saw).
A couple of narrated movies I like (not related to kids though) are Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia (1999) and Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums (2001).

Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
A couple of narrated movies I like (not related to kids though) are Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia (1999) and Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums (2001).
Those were good too. All nearly two decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies