U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:42 AM

9,667 posts, read 5,663,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Those were good too. All nearly two decades ago.
Also this one: Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs (2018), with two thumbs up!

There's a few recent films with narration that really I liked:

I, Tonya (2017)
Molly's Game (2017)
Paterson (2016)

Probably a lot more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 02:27 PM

4,990 posts, read 4,453,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
We used to make so many high quality movies that I am still catching up. Now we tend to rely more on sequels and the super hero genre.

Sequels require very little creativity and imagination. The same holds true for super hero movies which are generally an orgy of eye popping CGI special effects.

And music? Don't get me started on that one.
Frankly you should feel glad the mainstream is not trying to "assimilate" one of your favorite genres.

As I have often stated before as I look at the sci-fi (fantasy, horror, science fiction, etc) genre, especially the characters & storylines that I have found entertaining: from the Next Generation to DS9; or Buffyverse & Xena; NONE of them got the mainstream paparazzi, funding & awards, nor did they appear on mainstream media outlets of their time AND QUITE FRANKLY THAT'S A GOOD THING WHEN YOU CONSIDER WHAT (some not all since admittedly the identity politics of the surrounding society) THIS GENRE HAS BEEN DOING FOR YEARS & DECADES, WHEN YOU SEE THE ATTITUDES & PRACTICES OF THE MAINSTREAM, WHY THE HECK SHOULD THEY ASSIMILATE?

[Not only was there not a lot of controversy over Spawn but those characters were the flagship series for the independent comics industry (i.e. before the comics industry {or at least the 2 Big Powers} was gobbled up by the movie industry at the turn of the century when the film came out). The old school black & white Mirage TMNT ain't nuthin' like the recent mainstream versions.]

There have been shows that I felt had a lot of potential but whose lives were cut short like Continuum, Minority Report & Dark Matter (there seemed to be some confusion at the end with Sleepy Hollow similar to what went down with the original X-Files & Highlander series).

Bottomline: One World, globalist plantation identity politics does not do a creative body good.

Let them have their cheaters/dopers, talk show hosts & what not.

To each their own, there are different genres for a reason (just as they are various regional & local sub-cultures).

Last edited by kovert; 05-06-2018 at 03:18 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 PM

8,195 posts, read 4,398,464 times
Quote:
We used to make so many high quality movies that I am still catching up. Now we tend to rely more on sequels and the super hero genre.

Sequels require very little creativity and imagination. The same holds true for super hero movies which are generally an orgy of eye popping CGI special effects.

Independent films are mostly where most film creativity happens nowadays. And most of those are not made by big studios. And unless you have a decent film festival or art house theater near you it's nearly impossible to see any of those films in a theater.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:42 PM

4,575 posts, read 1,141,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Creativity is risky! Why spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars on an unknown when you can make more on a concept that has worked before?
Bingo. Movies stick by known and winning formulas. They don’t want to invest in risky movies.

Deadpool had its budget stripped because executives thought it would be a bust. Now we’re starting to see more “anti-hero” protagonist movies.

But in general, no one wants to invest in a risky movie with no name brand. “It” is a movie about a clown killing children, you’re “not suppose” to make a movie like that harming children. Black Panther is a movie about an African superhero, you’re “not suppose” to make a movie like that depicting African culture.

But as we can see, with great risk comes great reward. Also movies are harder than tv shows in creativity. Tv show, you have all day to develop the plot and character. With movies, you only have 2 hours

Old 05-07-2018, 12:22 AM

11,824 posts, read 7,695,291 times
If you go watch the 5 movies in the theaters today or the last 20 movies out this year. They're all cookie cutter movies.

Most folks today look for patterns when they watch movies, they all have to have familiar faces, familiar plots so audiences when keep guessing the next reveal. If you're a major screenwriter today have you have to go with textbook plots and know how to plan and space it well in order to succeed in hollywood. There's no creativity, one creative and unique idea the critics will start hammering as if someone poured vinegar in their chicken soup.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM

9,667 posts, read 5,663,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you go watch the 5 movies in the theaters today or the last 20 movies out this year. They're all cookie cutter movies.
Have you seen Tully? Isle of Dogs? Lean on Pete? You Were Never Really Here? Loveless? Happy End? The Death of Stalin? Unsane? The Party? A Fantastic Woman?

You're in NYC for craminie sake. You guys get all of the limited release movies.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM

332 posts, read 230,808 times
Quote:

It's just that MARKETING is far more powerful for those movies because they have $150,000,000+ budgets. There's tons of creative and interesting movies (far more than ever before) coming out every month, we just see the big sequels and comic book films because those are the ones with the most universal appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies