U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:14 PM

4,937 posts, read 4,646,736 times

Advertisements

What's great about it is that it's absolutely hilarious. I don't think it was supposed to be, but it certainly is.

Sort of like the movie, "Q". I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 03:43 PM

2,979 posts, read 970,099 times
Well I agree that the movie is really goodlooking and has a good atmosphere of New York. Some of the gangs are well thought out in terms of ideas. I thought that the baseball furies was the most outlandish gang, and should have perhaps been the protagonists, since they seemed more interesting to me.

Also, in Cyrus's speech, he described that if all the gangs united, they could overthrow the cities entire police force. That right there, I felt would have made for a more interesting and exciting movie, and it was kind of a missed opportunity that it didn't go there I felt.

Also, one part of the movie that left me really scratching my head is, how does a radio talk show host, know the all the criminal activity that is going on in the city, in almost real time?

If she were to report over the air, on all this gang activity in almost real time, she would be painting a huge target on her back, cause the gangs would come after her to silence her from reporting there activities on the air, and the police would be after her too, to arrest her and find out where she is getting all her information from.

So that part I found to be really silly, unintentionally.

As for the fight scenes being realistic, I actually thought they looked choreographed in parts, cause there were scenes where the gangs would do the same moves at the same time, unless of course, they rehearsed a lot of their fighting, and were able to know when to do the moves at the same time.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 PM

39,066 posts, read 37,716,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Also, in Cyrus's speech, he described that if all the gangs united, they could overthrow the cities entire police force. That right there, I felt would have made for a more interesting and exciting movie, and it was kind of a missed opportunity that it didn't go there I felt.
That line was apparently censored in some of the movie's promotional materials because audiences reacted badly to the idea of the police being outnumbered 5-1 by gang members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
As for the fight scenes being realistic, I actually thought they looked choreographed in parts, cause there were scenes where the gangs would do the same moves at the same time, unless of course, they rehearsed a lot of their fighting, and were able to know when to do the moves at the same time.
Well, they WERE choreographed, and I read that the director cast newcomers to give the movie a more authentic gangland feel. It probably resulted in some less-than-realistic fights. The music doesn't help.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:55 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,814,885 times
The Baseball Furies could never be the protagonists because they do not speak.

The fight scenes look realistic in that there are guys punching, elbowing, or kicking other guys. That is what fights are composed of. Contrast that with fight scenes from the last 20 years or so: People floating on air or walking up walls- yea, really realistic.

The DJ is just a narrator of sorts. Gangs were probably phoning in reports from payphones. Nowadays they would be posting them on Facebook. The gangs were still united in wanting to kill Cyrus' killers.

Cyrus' death represents the destruction of a dream and the futility of the gang lifestyle. Sweyn says as much at the end.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 AM

15,638 posts, read 14,697,835 times
I saw the movie at the theater when it first came out. Loved it! Still do.

I have the DVD and watch it from time to time. I wanted those guys to get back to Coney Island. Plus, it was the first time I became aware of Joe Walsh and his music. "In the City" is a perfect song for the movie. In fact, I listen to it in the car on The Eagles Greatest Hits CD whenever I'm out and about.

I think the various gangs are interesting. What strange characters. The movie is unique and awesome, IMO.

"Warriors, come out and plaaaaay!"

Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 AM

15,082 posts, read 19,729,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The fight scenes look realistic in that there are guys punching, elbowing, or kicking other guys. That is what fights are composed of. Contrast that with fight scenes from the last 20 years or so: People floating on air or walking up walls- yea, really realistic.
All fight scenes in movies are choreographed. They have to be for safety reasons. But there are two types of fight scenes in movies:

Stylistic. They are meant to impress, not to be realistic. It's ballet for guys. It's why when guys tell me they hate ballet, I say, "Really? You don't like Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan?" Most fight scenes today and all fight scenes in kung fu movies are basically ballet for guys. Most Tarantino fight scenes are live-action cartoons. Fun? Yes! Realistic? No.

Realistic. These fight scenes are meant to be realistic, and these just aren't in vogue any more --- probably because they are too disturbing. Real violence isn't fun or exciting. It's scary and disturbing. So most studios don't want it. But there are some movies with really realistic fight scenes. Cronenberg's Eastern Promises comes to mind. The fight scene in that movie is completely brutal. You want a realistic great sword fight scene? Check out the final fight scene in Rob Roy. Wow. Not only realistic, but a scene where the good guy is so obviously over-matched --- yet still wins through sheer bloody brutality. Other realistic fight scenes in movies --- They Live, Saving Private Ryan, My Bodyguard.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 AM

15,638 posts, read 14,697,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

Sort of like the movie, "Q". I'm still trying to figure that one out.
I've got "Q" on DVD. I, too, am still trying to figure it out. It's another strange movie and it is one I like.

Michael Moriarty is an odd fellow (in real life) and fits right into the role. Come to think of it "Q" could easily have been an episode of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." Yeah, I can see Darren McGavin looking for the nest.....and finding it.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:21 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,814,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
All fight scenes in movies are choreographed. They have to be for safety reasons. But there are two types of fight scenes in movies:

Stylistic. They are meant to impress, not to be realistic. It's ballet for guys. It's why when guys tell me they hate ballet, I say, "Really? You don't like Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan?" Most fight scenes today and all fight scenes in kung fu movies are basically ballet for guys. Most Tarantino fight scenes are live-action cartoons. Fun? Yes! Realistic? No.

Realistic. These fight scenes are meant to be realistic, and these just aren't in vogue any more --- probably because they are too disturbing. Real violence isn't fun or exciting. It's scary and disturbing. So most studios don't want it. But there are some movies with really realistic fight scenes. Cronenberg's Eastern Promises comes to mind. The fight scene in that movie is completely brutal. You want a realistic great sword fight scene? Check out the final fight scene in Rob Roy. Wow. Not only realistic, but a scene where the good guy is so obviously over-matched --- yet still wins through sheer bloody brutality. Other realistic fight scenes in movies --- They Live, Saving Private Ryan, My Bodyguard.
I like the fight in the bathroom with the gang that wears overalls and moves around on roller skates. The final scene is when they throw the guy through the bathroom stall doors and the camera is placed where the toilet would be.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:41 AM

5,597 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've got "Q" on DVD. I, too, am still trying to figure it out. It's another strange movie and it is one I like.

Michael Moriarty is an odd fellow (in real life) and fits right into the role. Come to think of it "Q" could easily have been an episode of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." Yeah, I can see Darren McGavin looking for the nest.....and finding it.
I got you guys beat. I saw Q at the drive-in. Larry Cohen? Check. David Carradine? Check. Stop-motion beastie? SOLD.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 AM

5,597 posts, read 2,431,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I like the fight in the bathroom with the gang that wears overalls and moves around on roller skates. The final scene is when they throw the guy through the bathroom stall doors and the camera is placed where the toilet would be.
That fight scene appears to remain the universal favorite. It's a great scene that was the culmination of a tense build-up: Swan being followed by both the Punks and Mercy; then Vermin, Rembrandt, Cowboy, Snow and Cochise materializing on the stair. They had all been separated, but now they had a chance of making it out of there.

MERCY: I need to talk to you. See that dude over there with the skates? Over there. He's after you. And he's got some guys with him.

SWAN: I know they're on my *ss. But now they know I know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies