U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:30 PM

11,292 posts, read 16,817,755 times

Advertisements

Classic stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM

12,999 posts, read 5,403,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonidee View Post
Sounds like an interesting movie..... I havent seen it.... (I dont remember so if I did)
I loved it when I was a kid. Itís a little dated now, and the dialog is awful, but I still like the movie for some reason. Perhaps itís the gritty Ď70s New York vibe, and how creepy the baseball gang was.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:33 PM

14,996 posts, read 8,556,881 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfLV_hSj_uE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgMvQiHuvqs

Old 04-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I agree that the movie is really goodlooking and has a good atmosphere of New York. Some of the gangs are well thought out in terms of ideas. I thought that the baseball furies was the most outlandish gang, and should have perhaps been the protagonists, since they seemed more interesting to me.

Also, in Cyrus's speech, he described that if all the gangs united, they could overthrow the cities entire police force. That right there, I felt would have made for a more interesting and exciting movie, and it was kind of a missed opportunity that it didn't go there I felt.

Also, one part of the movie that left me really scratching my head is, how does a radio talk show host, know the all the criminal activity that is going on in the city, in almost real time?

If she were to report over the air, on all this gang activity in almost real time, she would be painting a huge target on her back, cause the gangs would come after her to silence her from reporting there activities on the air, and the police would be after her too, to arrest her and find out where she is getting all her information from.

So that part I found to be really silly, unintentionally.

As for the fight scenes being realistic, I actually thought they looked choreographed in parts, cause there were scenes where the gangs would do the same moves at the same time, unless of course, they rehearsed a lot of their fighting, and were able to know when to do the moves at the same time.
I always thought the DJ was part of the Riffs (or whoever was the major gang that found the Warriors in Coney Island). They fed her that information to get the other gangs to go after the Warriors.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:27 PM

2,988 posts, read 976,274 times
But if the DJ reported this over the air, the cops would be after her for questioning and investigation, so why did she do it, is the question.

Not that it really matters I guess.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:42 PM

5,598 posts, read 2,435,981 times
Quote:
But if the DJ reported this over the air, the cops would be after her for questioning and investigation, so why did she do it, is the question.

Not that it really matters I guess.
If you watched the movie and must ask that question, did you really watch the movie?

And the cops had better things to do.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:44 PM

2,988 posts, read 976,274 times
Yeah I really watched the movie, all the way through, but since her character is never dealt with I can't help but wonder why she would paint a police target on her back like that. I thought the cops wanted to catch whoever killed Cyrus, and if she is spreading information that is related to that, is there really anything better to do?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:50 PM

5,598 posts, read 2,435,981 times
Quote:
Yeah I really watched the movie, all the way through, but since her character is never dealt with I can't help but wonder why she would paint a police target on her back like that. I thought the cops wanted to catch whoever killed Cyrus, and if she is spreading information that is related to that, is there really anything better to do?
Her broadcasts were meant for the orbit of the gangs, not the general public. And she/they didn't care if the cops heard it. Anyone tuned in that frequency could hear her relays, but it mattered little to those not in the know. Don't overthink it.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Her broadcasts were meant for the orbit of the gangs, not the general public. And she/they didn't care if the cops heard it. Anyone tuned in that frequency could hear her relays, but it mattered little to those not in the know. Don't overthink it.
I agree. Itís not like it was all in plain language anyway.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:01 PM

8,865 posts, read 7,347,410 times
Itís a movie that needs to be judged for the time it was made. NYC was riddled with gang crime and criminal police force that makes todayís cops look like saints. When this movie came out it was controversial because of the subject matter. Some theaters refused to play and some stopped showings because of fights. It was a sort of a Homer like story transferred to street gangs. It was low budget and gritty which is what it was like back then. Some of the gangs were excessively stylized to differentiate them from other gangs. The radio DJ was like the gangsí dispatcher, likely a pirate radio. The brunette from the Orphans gang later appeared in a TV series with Ted Knight in the 1980s. The small guy with the spray paint who gets cut on the arm was in The Electric Company and died very young. The actor that did the most work since the movie was the one who played Ajax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies