Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:22 PM

13 posts, read 7,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm curious, but does anyone actually prefer to sit in the very first rows of a movie theater, even if there's plenty of open seats much further back? I've seen people sit in the front section in an otherwise uncrowded theater, but not more than midway in that section.

I can only think of one time I had to sit in the first few rows of a theater, and that was because the theater was packed. A miserable, neck wrenching experience.

The Underrated Bliss of Sitting in the Front Row at Movie Theaters
Nope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 08:00 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
This also depends on how the movie is shot and edited as well. An Akira Kurosawa movie, you can sit up close, and still be able tell what is going on, where as a Michael Bay or Paul Greengrass movie, you're going to have to move back, etc.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:18 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Yeah, but not regularly. I see every Star Wars movie in theaters between 25-50 times (last 3 were 41, 42, and 30 on initial release), to mix things up I sit in the front row once just because I might notice something I didn’t see previously. That’s not until like the 20th or 30th time though.

What I don’t understand more than anything is paying a bunch of money in an empty movie theater then walking right to the back. Unless you’re a teenager there to make out or something those are HORRIBLE seats and totally defeat the purpose. Most modern theaters have two sections and the first row of the back section is almost always the best seats in the house. Your entire field of view should be close to being covered by the screen but not have to move your head to see anything. The less you see of the surrounding theater the more immersive. One would think this is completely common sense but judging how many times I’ve walked in and seen 15 idiots way too far back, I guess not lol. I love that though, thanks for not taking the good seats!

Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Sometimes I will take a seat in the back. Usually it relates for a need to making a quick unobtrusive exit. If I have a bladderbuster drink, I know I'm going to be up and down a couple of times. Sometimes the audience looks a little edgy and being at the back allows me to see them as well as the screen. Sometimes I know the action is going to be a little TOO immersive, and especially if there is gore, I don't need to be sitting in the middle of it. During my working years, if I knew a film was in poor condition, I'd sit in the back to make a mad dash to either inform a projectionist or fix matters on my own. As a manager and DM I had to let staff know where I was in case of any problems anywhere, even if I was taking a busman holiday.

(Yes, in the days of film sometimes we had to screen a print for various reasons. Sometimes one would come in with heads and tails clipped and no indication of the order. It would be assembled as best as we could and then checked by watching it. Othertimes, there was enough controversy about a film that knowing the actual content was important in responding to customers. Also, ratings could be iffy, and theatres had to verify that a rating didn't violate local law. In some states if an R film had full frontal nudity, no matter how brief, minors could not attend legally, and staff could (in theory) be arrested.)

Old 04-29-2018, 02:09 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Did it one time, not buy choice, on a star wars movie that was basically sold out.

Never again.

The strain on your neck is horrible. I have no idea how anyone can willingly do that. 3/4th to the back or all the way back is the best.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:55 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
I got seats to a Grand Funk Railroad concert in the seventies in the second row - I thought woohoo! It was so off to the left that the WALL OF SPEAKERS were towering right in front of me and I was looking up and right the whole time. Here's what I thought of the situation...

Spoiler
WOOHOO!!!!!

Old 04-29-2018, 06:45 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm curious, but does anyone actually prefer to sit in the very first rows of a movie theater, even if there's plenty of open seats much further back?
OH HECK NO! I still remember going to see "Beaches" on opening weekend and getting there so late that my best friend and I had to take seats in the front row and had to look straight up to see the screen. By the end of the movie, we were BAWLING, and I remember the tears rolling from my eyes and straight into my ears. LOL!

My preferred seat is the middle of the back row. I HATE sitting any closer than the back 1/3 of the theater. Now I'm at the age where if I'm too close, the motion gives me a headache.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:49 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I don’t like sitting too close or too far back. Sit too close and you have to strain your neck and move around too much to watch the movie. Typically the front section or first 4 rows or so are off limits for me. The same is true for the back, the last 1/3 of the theatre is too far away, the screen should basically fill up ones field of view. Varies some by theatre, but I’d say 1/3 the way from the front. I like going to the movies to feel immersed and sitting too far back ruins that feeling for me, but it’s not as bad as being in the first few rows. I’d consider leaving if I had I had to sit in the front.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
theatres know that nobody likes sitting in the first row so they all tear out that first row, the cut-off bolts are still visible if you lift up the carpet. The first row is actually the 2nd row, so those seats are OK to use.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:17 PM

505 posts, read 502,346 times
I'll typically choose the back row (I guess one of the worst rows, as per another poster lol).

Unless it's a movie I'm really really invested in, I choose the back row so that if I receive a text I want to reply to, I don't disturb anyone behind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies