U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2018, 07:30 AM
 
11,617 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986

Advertisements

Most of my DVDs play wonderfully on the blu-ray player. I can't tell the difference between them and blu-ray discs.

Noticed only the 'full screen' (really old ones) don't.

So, I presumed that I should make sure DVDs I buy are widescreen, but some offerings don't say either way. I noticed this on Amazon and Wal-mart sites.

I want to build my collection. Assistance would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2018, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Reputation: 7680
I suppose it depends on what you want, what kind of movies you like.

Me, I don't mind to see the dragging of the image of a VHS converted to DVD being played on a wide screen such as with, say, "The Bobo".

I have the capability of playing 4 formats (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, other than region 1 DVD), so I take what I can get, what is available, what is affordable.

One thing I will say is that unless you are wealthy, now is a bad time to build a collection, IMHO. The overstock period of DVDs is over, that surplus is gone. The prices are going up and are often higher than I am willing to pay. The good thing for me is that my collection is built and I probably have more than what I can view before the end of my days.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 PM
 
11,617 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I suppose it depends on what you want, what kind of movies you like.

Me, I don't mind to see the dragging of the image of a VHS converted to DVD being played on a wide screen such as with, say, "The Bobo".

I have the capability of playing 4 formats (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, other than region 1 DVD), so I take what I can get, what is available, what is affordable.

One thing I will say is that unless you are wealthy, now is a bad time to build a collection, IMHO. The overstock period of DVDs is over, that surplus is gone. The prices are going up and are often higher than I am willing to pay. The good thing for me is that my collection is built and I probably have more than what I can view before the end of my days.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there you go.
Really? Seems like since most people prefer streaming, I can consistently find DVDs for $5. Amazon tries to sell special features and etc. to get their $20, but even on there one can go to alternate sellers to get new or 'like new' for $5, unless they are very recently released.

I never buy discs for movies very recently released for that reason. The collection I want to build is for the few (relative to the amount of movies in existence, but a substantial number) that I know I will watch multiple times even if that is once every few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Reputation: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Really? Seems like since most people prefer streaming, I can consistently find DVDs for $5. Amazon tries to sell special features and etc. to get their $20, but even on there one can go to alternate sellers to get new or 'like new' for $5, unless they are very recently released.

I never buy discs for movies very recently released for that reason. The collection I want to build is for the few (relative to the amount of movies in existence, but a substantial number) that I know I will watch multiple times even if that is once every few years.
Five bucks is a far spit from when I was often picking them up for under a buck, such as around 50 cents.

As far as current movies go, I usually don't even know about them unless they show up some how on Telemundo. If they look interesting, I see if I can order them.

It seems that my most recent films came out in 2015. A combination of Westerns (Jane Got a Gun, Dead in Tombstone, Sweetwater, & Bone Tomahawk) and Our Brand is Crisis (S. Bullock)...all ordered in 2017. Looking at my orders, "Crisis" was because I got on a Sandra Bullock shopping kick but I don't know what propelled those Westerns. I can only guess that one came up as a desire and the system recommended the others and that they were cheap. Three under $4, one for $7, and all of the Westerns were Blu-ray.

Another thing about looking through my orders......I've got a lot of movies to watch!

You would be wise to pick up a regionless player. The overseas non region 1 stuff can really bring down the price.

The TV series Andromeda usually runs between $100-110 before s&h; I bided my time and picked it up at $66 when it showed up. Classic Doctor Who? I usually pick that up at half price of region 1. The X-Files, Season 4? $15-27 and I got it from Germany for $2ish.

I have three regionless players. The first one decide not to recognize any region after it was replugged after a thunderstorm, so I got a second one. Then, realizing how much of my collection is non region 1 and how put out I was while waiting for unit 2 to arrive, I picked up a third one.

The one other thing I have done is now rather impossible for another to break in to, in my humble opinion. Way back when 1/2 Price Books was selling VHS at 50 cents a pop and then a buck a pop, I would buy up the tapes and making working DVDs off them.....if I could. The tapes are held, of course, in long term storage but the DVDs are up in drawers in the library.

There is the previously mentioned problem of "image drag" on the flat screen TV, but I don't mind it. So, what's the problem, these days? Since the VHS/DVR decks are discontinued, the cost of new ones out on the overstock market can run between $699-$1300.....and when they were at Best Buy, they were around $350.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 02:28 AM
 
Location: S. FL (hell for me-wife loves it)
2,983 posts, read 1,709,587 times
Reputation: 8911
Check out pawn shops. I can get 3 dvd's for 5.00 here. Yes, barely used, but they open and check the discs before offering them for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 PM
 
11,617 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Five bucks is a far spit from when I was often picking them up for under a buck, such as around 50 cents.

Ah, I see what you mean by 'missed out'. I see plenty for $1 or even one penny, but they put $4 in for shipping, is how all the ones I buy are $5 one way or another.

Quote:
There is the previously mentioned problem of "image drag" on the flat screen TV, but I don't mind it. So, what's the problem, these days? Since the VHS/DVR decks are discontinued, the cost of new ones out on the overstock market can run between $699-$1300.....and when they were at Best Buy, they were around $350.
I am spoiled on HD quality. Especially if it's a favorite movie that I am buying, that is why I was asking what else besides 'full screen' I need to stay away from in DVDs for them to come out nice on a blu-ray player.

I did keep my functional VCR thinking if I ever want to watch something, one might be hard to find or really expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 PM
 
11,617 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Check out pawn shops. I can get 3 dvd's for 5.00 here. Yes, barely used, but they open and check the discs before offering them for sale.
Thanks. Yeah, I do not care about the cases or any of that. If it plays well, that is all that matters to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2018, 07:04 PM
 
11,617 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Maybe this is what I should look for: formatted for a 16:9 presentation or 'remastered'.

I just put in an old DVD, noticed how good it looks on the flat screen, and read this on the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
2,929 posts, read 1,431,283 times
Reputation: 3918
Blu-ray upscaling seems to really work. DVDs look better when played via my blu-ray player versus a DVD player.

DVD quality is generally good enough for me. I imagine that could change with a 70" tv or more youthful eyes.

FWIW, 4K is actually more like 2160p I think. That would be great if I ever get an 80" TV.


Compared to the days of 220 line VHS played on ~ 220 line TVs, these are sure great times for home viewing. Though one needs a sound bar, for proper sound, with skinny LCD/LED screens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Reputation: 24173
Any dvd should play on your BR player old or not. I have The Lost Missile, Gijora, GOG, and several other old dvds, all play well. Might try upgrading your BR software, or change your tv video settings to auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top