U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 03:11 PM

983 posts, read 396,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a generational thing. If Star Wars came out today vs the 70s, people would trash it so bad. Because it doesn't make any sense. It's basically Lord of the Ring in space, there is zero science fiction or science behind any of it.
Yup. I saw "Star Wars" (the first one, before they were re-numbered) for the first time when I was in college in the 90's. I was like, are you kidding me, *this* is what all the fuss has been about all these years? Inconveniently, I have a co-worker who is obsessed with the entire Star Wars franchise.

Jurassic Park.... I read the book first, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and agree that this is yet another case of "book is better than the movie". Overall I still like the movie though - good thing, since it is my kid's favorite movie so we watch it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I can sum it up in two words.

Jeff Goldblum
OK I will admit this is definitely a factor, though I loved Ian Malcolm in the book too. Having said that, one thing I did not like about the movie was how Malcolm was hitting on Dr. Sattler, which did not happen in the book. And the book spends a lot more time on chaos theory and other scientific aspects that are glossed over or treated quickly in the film.

Last edited by IndyDancer; 09-09-2018 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 05:48 PM

2,924 posts, read 964,578 times
Yeah good points made. I felt that Star Wars still had better characters than Jurassic Park though, but it's not like the first one has a story that is very deep or anything.

If Jurassic Park hadn't been made, and none of the sequels, does that mean that King Kong (2005), would have done a lot better, and have done just as well as Jurassic Park then, instead?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:07 PM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
What's so great about Jurassic Park (1993)?

Dinosaurs. Really well done dinosaurs. Classic movie with awesome dinosaurs. Kids love dinosaurs. We all still have our kid in us to a degree.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:09 AM

3,782 posts, read 2,006,199 times
Jurassic Park was a wonderful movie, that in my opinion, still holds up quite well today. The other movies in the franchise are lacking. I don't know any people who think it is a masterpiece or who have a CGI vs Practical effects quandry. Most people I know who are movie buffs or just really enjoy movies, tend to enjoy this film and enjoy the way it was filmed.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 724,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

Dinosaurs. Really well done dinosaurs. Classic movie with awesome dinosaurs. Kids love dinosaurs. We all still have our kid in us to a degree.
I agree. I took my son to see Jurassic Park when it premiered oh-so-many years ago. My son was 11 years old, perfect age for this type of movie. I was xxx years old, and mom to a nerdy kid, so I was perfect for this type of movie. Gotta say, I was absolutely blown away by the animatronics and CGI that made Jurassic Park such a classic, as I imagine just about everyone seeing it on the big screen back then would have been. And who doesn't like a scary monster movie? Even moreso, who doesn't like a scary monster movie where the monsters are so amazingly realistic? A story based upon Michael Crichton's best-seller (and his assistance with the screenplay adaptation) directed by the Steven Spielberg, with ILM and Stan Winston helping to bring everything to life...it was a combination that couldn't be beat.

This movie was the catalyst that inspired my son to study film.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:30 PM

1,242 posts, read 724,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Saw it opening weekend when I was in 7th grade back in 93. It's impact was tremendous visually.
Exactly. And not only the visuals...do you remember sitting in the theatre and hearing the T. Rex's deafening roar for the first time? It wasn't just the sound...you felt the tremor from the immensity of that roar deep within your bones.

That's something I'll never forget.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:03 AM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

The RAPTORS were awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Exactly. And not only the visuals...do you remember sitting in the theatre and hearing the T. Rex's deafening roar for the first time? It wasn't just the sound...you felt the tremor from the immensity of that roar deep within your bones.

That's something I'll never forget.
4Real.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 AM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
If you ever made one of these threads about ET, I will beat you with a dead rabbit. IJS.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 AM

714 posts, read 328,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Beatle's early music sounds silly now.

Don't agree at all. YMMV.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:53 AM

714 posts, read 328,403 times
To answer the OPs question. There's nothing great about Jurassic Park. At least IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies