Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times

Advertisements

(Caveat: yes, I understand the decade actually runs Jan 1, 2011 through December 31, 2020. But by "common convention," let's say 2010 through 2019. Yes, and 2019 ain't over yet, "but...")

What is your list, and why? While I've tried to dodge spoilers, be aware I do comment on strong thematic elements.

BEST OF THE BEST:

"Interstellar" (2014): Nolan brother's magnum opus...so far at least...tall words considering they are also creators of such dark genius as the Batman trilogy, "the Prestige," and the mind bending "Inception" and "Memento." For the choice of soundtrack alone...you simply must sample this via Youtube mixes or the original, in a dark room at high volume...but that's only a part of it. The story is really about true love, transcending time and space, gluing the last best hope of humanity together to save the race.

Decent science, stunning effects with as much "realism" as one might muster from what mid-21st Century spacecraft and habitats might actually be like. Superb performances by Matthew McConaughey (pitch-perfect casting, swashbuckler and dad with a heart of gold and heroic figure to the very ends of space and time, he's in nearly every scene throughout). Matt Damon's incredible cameo as a duplicitous mission lead. Anne Hathaway, solid as always with remarkable gravitas if somewhat lacking in range... I saw this the way it was meant to be, in IMAX during a (very) special showing with no previews, an introduction, and incredible surround sound in addition to the massive view. I've never not watched it since @home and not been moved: should it turn up at a film festival in the original format, do not miss out. A masterpiece, best of the 'Teens.

SHEER PITCH-PERFECT THRILL RIDES of the DECADE (RUNNER-UPS):
  • "Lucy" : mind bending fiction (with a little "science"), the always-stunning Scarlett Johansson, and master of frenetic eye-canding and pacing Luc Besson directing. European settings masterfully manipulated: YES.
  • "Sicario (2015)" and the lesser "Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)": Emily Blunt (in part 1), Benicio del Toro, and Josh Brolin: what a combo! Pitch black, little if any ultimate redemption, good and evil interchangeable, and a very thin line indeed between life and death on the front lines. Incredible social commentary and creeping dread from one end to the other.

BEST SUPERHERO FILM OF THE DECADE:

From the DC universe, of all things, and many will disagree: "Man of Steel (2013)", the ultimate reboot of the Superman mythos, suitably dark and impeccably played villainy in Michael Shannon's General Zod and his entourage. Henry Cavill as an explosive, slightly mercurial, just a whiff of homicidal Superman? Oh yes! Too bad a couple follow-ons have been worthless so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:09 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
There have been lots of really good movies over the past decade. Many I enjoy watching multiple times. But I can only think of a few that I would be in the "Destined to be Classics" category:

Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There have been lots of really good movies over the past decade. Many I enjoy watching multiple times. But I can only think of a few that I would be in the "Destined to be Classics" category:
Three beauts, thank you. Saw the first in the theater in Lincoln NB when I happened to be in town (I live in Seattle) and needed to kill couple hours, would have been May 2015 as my date-tuned brain reminds me. Being a Sci-Fi kind of guy, really caught my attention.

Second I caught on one of the cable channels and is definitely a sleeper, and powerful.

Third, almost unwatchable for the horror...but needs to be seen. What an existence, what a foul institution...a little redemption, after, but mostly just a bummer.

Which reminds me: as far as classic Sci-Fi, pretty sure "Arrival" will rank up there and age well across years or decades as a suburb part of the genre.

Spoiler
A little sleepy, definitely cerebral, lot of creeping suspense and foreshadowing ...not quite dread, at least not from the E.T.'s but definitely humanity's reaction to their, uh, arrival. A bit of ambiguity throughout, and how it concluded more-or-less made sense though not a linear way most can easily understand.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:12 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I liked ARRIVAL, but failed to love it. I thought it was trying a bit too hard to be clever. But definitely a beautiful movie with something to say.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times
I think the 2010 "True Grit" remake deserves a spot, as I think it is definitely one of the best movies of the last decade.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
I totally agree with Sicario. Denis Villeneuve absolutely hit it out of the park this decade, and is my choice for best new director (who wasn't known before the 2010s). Prisoners was also brilliant. I didn't think Blade Runner was great, or necessary, but there's no other director that I would trust a sequel with, and he delivered.

I also agree that at least as a visceral action spectacle, Man of Steel was the best among the superhero herd. It was more of a disaster/alien invasion movie than a Superman movie though.

My other choice is Whiplash-- one of the most intense "thrillers" ever, that had nothing to do with holding a gun/knife or saving the world. Fantastic editing as well.

This decade in Hollywood was pulling a Google and attempting to manipulate the audience, and the exploding China market is dictating the quality of all-audiences movies. So this decade wasn't very enjoyable, but there were still some great standout films.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 PM

512 posts, read 321,412 times

Old 06-29-2019, 06:31 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I loved La La Land, but then I'm a huge fan of 50's Technicolor movie musicals. LLL was such a fresh and exciting take on this genre.

Another Day of Sun is my wake-up song!

Old 06-29-2019, 06:49 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
In chronological order:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Tomas Alfredson)

Melancholia (Lars von Trier)

The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson)

The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki)

Loving (Jeff Nichols)

Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)

The Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos)

Honourable mentions:
Another Year (Mike Leigh)
Incendies (Denis Villeneuve)
A Royal Affair (Nikolaj Arcel)
Ernest et Célestine (Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar and Benjamin Renner)
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Isao Takahata)
Song of the Sea (Tomm Moore)
Room (Lenny Abrahamson)
Arrival (Denis Villeneuve)
Paddington 2 (Paul King)
Cold War (Paweł Pawlikowski)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies