Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:39 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I realize the OP is obsessed with this movie:

Disney Stripped ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ of Christianity and Lost $100 Million

But sorry to burst the OP's bubble, the box office failure of this movie has less to do with ideological messages and changing of religious overtones, and more to do with people just plain tired of these types of boring and CGI overloaded snoozefests that offer nothing new. Nothing I saw in the trailer made me want to see this movie. At all. And bad/lukewarm word of mouth is enough to torpedo any movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I agree. With the cost of a movie outing vs watching it at home, if the movie's not good I'm not going to go out to see it, especially now that so many streaming options are available. I will just wait and pay $2-3 when it's available to stream (or nothing).

I read the book when I was a kid and liked it, but I wonder if I would still like it now, and have my doubts about how well it would go over with today's young people.
The book still does well with modern young audiences. It still does an excellent job in showing a strong young female character overcoming personal difficulties to be victorious over larger social difficulties. The Meg of the novel is actually more screwed up than the Meg of the movie.

There has been a complaint by numerous Christians that this movie strips the book of its "Christian themes."

This is kind of irony upon irony. The author was a very liberal Christian along the lines of Anne Rice and Jane Fonda. The people complaining now about this movie stripping the story of "Christian themes" are the very kind of Christians who denied it had Christian themes back in the 60s.

The novel has broad themes of light versus darkness/good versus evil that are common to legends and tales from many sources besides Christianity. The author, being Christian, wrote a story that is compatible with Christianity, but then, Aesop's Fables are compatible with Christianity. There were no explicitly Christian themes as there are in, say, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

The author also did not deny that Christianity exists. Here is an example of ideology in the movie that is noticeable: The character of Mrs Who speaks only in quotations. In the novel, her range of quotations include those all kinds of historical figures, including Buddha and the Bible. In this movie, they excised the Biblical quotations from Mrs Who's lexicon but left in Buddha.

Why wouldn't such a character include biblical quotations? That was noticeable ideological intrusion, and unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies