U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 11:31 AM

1,988 posts, read 3,086,361 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Hollywood's rules:
1st Rule: Generate movies that make money, and
2nd Rule: Generate sequels as long as they make money, and
3rd Rule: Generate remakes as long as they make money.
(notice a common element??)

Also, consider that these rules are much less driven by US ticket sales that it use to be.
It's been several years since the overall return for a movie is now typically more from merchandising than US ticket sales.
For some movies (and move series), the foreign sales are also more than US ticket sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Why should that be a point? Back in the 50s and 60s, there were more than a hundred westerns released every year, and not more than a handful are recognized as "good" for that entire period.
I agree. This series, er deluge, er tsunami of superhero movies just rides piggyback on viewer saturation.
Like westerns, then cop movies (Dirty Harry etc), and such. It comes in waves. Just hold your breath and ride this one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 11:39 AM

1,573 posts, read 557,030 times
Why the snobbery about superhero films? - BBC News

This matter is only of concern to other snobs who need their viewing preferences validated by pats on the head from the critical establishment.

I couldn't care less if a film I like receives such a 'stamp of approval'. Neither should you.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
I do think there is a bit of oversaturation in this sense - my closest theater is an 18 screen place. When Black Panther first came out, and then when Avengers: Infinity War came out, they both had almost 50 showings per day at that theater. Obviously that squeezed out lots of other movies and only 9 or 10 different movies were actually playing in an 18 screen theater.

They cut back some but now this weekend, Deadpool 2 will be taking over, and while it isn't have quite as many showings, there will still be only 11 different movies playing. To me, that's oversaturation, when these movies take over to that degree, not to mention that the parking lot gets so crowded that even if you want to see one of the non-superhero movies, it's hard to find a parking spot!

My 13 year old son isn't actually a big fan of these movies, but I made him go to Black Panther with me because I wanted to see that, and we enjoyed it a lot - enough that we will see Avengers: Infinity War too although we haven't made it yet. I would have said maybe this weekend, but probably we'd have the same issue with the parking lot being too crowded because of Deadpool so may have to wait another week or two.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:56 PM

17,895 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I do think there is a bit of oversaturation in this sense - my closest theater is an 18 screen place. When Black Panther first came out, and then when Avengers: Infinity War came out, they both had almost 50 showings per day at that theater. Obviously that squeezed out lots of other movies and only 9 or 10 different movies were actually playing in an 18 screen theater.

They cut back some but now this weekend, Deadpool 2 will be taking over, and while it isn't have quite as many showings, there will still be only 11 different movies playing. To me, that's oversaturation, when these movies take over to that degree, not to mention that the parking lot gets so crowded that even if you want to see one of the non-superhero movies, it's hard to find a parking spot!

My 13 year old son isn't actually a big fan of these movies, but I made him go to Black Panther with me because I wanted to see that, and we enjoyed it a lot - enough that we will see Avengers: Infinity War too although we haven't made it yet. I would have said maybe this weekend, but probably we'd have the same issue with the parking lot being too crowded because of Deadpool so may have to wait another week or two.
But there are eleven other movies showing. Eleven. Have you seen them all? Do you plan to see them all?

What makes you so sure there would be 17 other movies currently available that would actually earn their showtime?

First-world problem.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But there are eleven other movies showing. Eleven. Have you seen them all? Do you plan to see them all?

What makes you so sure there would be 17 other movies currently available that would actually earn their showtime?

First-world problem.
well, actually it's 10 other movies, 11 in total. What makes you so sure there aren't more than 10 other movies that deserve to be shown?

And trying to be dismissive that it's somehow a "first world problem" to discuss movies on a, you know, movie subforum? CD itself is a first world creation, and that's pretty much all that is discussed here.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
well, actually it's 10 other movies, 11 in total. What makes you so sure there aren't more than 10 other movies that deserve to be shown?
What makes you so sure there are?

Inasmuch as a movie theater is a for-profit venture, "deserve to be shown" is synonymous with "likely to make a profit."

We have Alamo Draft House multiplexes that do quirky cult movie showings every week...apparently there aren't so many current movies that deserve to be shown that even quirky cult movies aren't better audience draws.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 AM

1,988 posts, read 3,086,361 times
Quote:
I do think there is a bit of oversaturation in this sense - my closest theater is an 18 screen place. When Black Panther first came out, and then when Avengers: Infinity War came out, they both had almost 50 showings per day at that theater. Obviously that squeezed out lots of other movies and only 9 or 10 different movies were actually playing in an 18 screen theater. ...
Keep in mind that the viewing 'density' is a decision by the theater that may also be determined by the distribution contracts from the movie owners.
IE: there was a lot of news articles about the previous Star Wars movie being distributed by Disney, who wouldn't let a theater show the movie unless they agreed to a contract with "x" number of screens over "Y" number of days, for "z" percent of the ticket sales. All x, y, z numbers were way higher than normal.
(Some small towns couldn't keep seats filled for the overall number of days mandated and had to pass totally.)
I'd not heard anything similar from the Marvel series, but .... I'd not be surprised.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Keep in mind that the viewing 'density' is a decision by the theater that may also be determined by the distribution contracts from the movie owners.
IE: there was a lot of news articles about the previous Star Wars movie being distributed by Disney, who wouldn't let a theater show the movie unless they agreed to a contract with "x" number of screens over "Y" number of days, for "z" percent of the ticket sales. All x, y, z numbers were way higher than normal.
(Some small towns couldn't keep seats filled for the overall number of days mandated and had to pass totally.)
I'd not heard anything similar from the Marvel series, but .... I'd not be surprised.
I wasn't really addressing that aspect though, or saying the theater was necessarily wrong in having almost 50 showings per day of these movies, just that from my perspective, I do think there is over saturation when things are marketed to create that kind of intensity and distributors and/or theater owners want or go along with the dynamic.

It wasn't even a comment on the quality of the movie - as I mentioned, as a non-MCU or other superhero person, I still wanted to see Black Panther and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I wasn't really addressing that aspect though, or saying the theater was necessarily wrong in having almost 50 showings per day of these movies, just that from my perspective, I do think there is over saturation when things are marketed to create that kind of intensity and distributors and/or theater owners want or go along with the dynamic.

It wasn't even a comment on the quality of the movie - as I mentioned, as a non-MCU or other superhero person, I still wanted to see Black Panther and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I don't know what "oversaturation" really means with regard to marketing.

Certainly the more money that has been invested in a movie, the more marketing they're going to do. That's not a matter of it being specifically a superhero movie, that's a matter of budget. You're going to see something like a Star Wars movie or Avatar with that kind of marketing effort as well.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 AM

11,016 posts, read 13,633,620 times
As someone who first picked up comic books in the 60's and is now IN his 60's, it's a great time for Marvel and DC movies! Well, maybe the former more than the latter.
Finally, the technology and special effects have caught up to the stories in quality. No more cheesy The Adventures of Superman or SuperFriends. As stated, there are 10 movies showing at my local theater, only one is a Super Hero film. If you're a producer, think how much more money can be made with an Iron Man movie vs another adaption of Churchill. Don't see too many Churchill action figures or lunch pails being marketed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies