U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 09:48 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times

Advertisements

Why the snobbery about superhero films? - BBC News

The whole article is worth reading, but Jedi Master Mark Hamill gets straight to the point and is right on all counts:

Quote:
And last year, Star Wars actor Mark Hamill told USA Today: "I don't know what's going on with superhero movies. They're fantastic, but I think we're reaching a point of over-saturation. So that's why the story is so important, is that the gimmicks and all that, they can only take you so far. That's what I want, better stories."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM

5,591 posts, read 2,427,249 times
MarkuS, why the snobbery? Is this article too good for the CBM thread?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
MarkuS, why the snobbery? Is this article too good for the CBM thread?
Mea culpa.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:21 PM

17,895 posts, read 9,836,596 times
I deny there is a saturation of superhero movies.

There are still hundreds and hundreds of movies coming out of Hollywood every year. If studios didn't have something guaranteeing they'll end the year in the black, that number might be much smaller.

And it's just as true for everyone involved. These gigantic blockbusters make it a bit more possible for everyone receiving that paycheck to afford to next do something closer to his heart that's going to make a pittance.

How can there be too many superhero movies when all the awards committees manage so well to ignore them every year?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
How can there be too many superhero movies when all the awards committees manage so well to ignore them every year?
The awards are all fiction anyway. They only matter to the people getting the awards --- and even some of the smarter ones in that crowd have wised up.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:47 PM

5,591 posts, read 2,427,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I deny there is a saturation of superhero movies.

There are still hundreds and hundreds of movies coming out of Hollywood every year. If studios didn't have something guaranteeing they'll end the year in the black, that number might be much smaller.

And it's just as true for everyone involved. These gigantic blockbusters make it a bit more possible for everyone receiving that paycheck to afford to next do something closer to his heart that's going to make a pittance.

I agree. Everyone who complains is whining. You and me had to wait decades for this to happen. So Star Wars isn't the biggest escapist franchise on the block anymore. Big deal.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I agree. Everyone who complains is whining. You and me had to wait decades for this to happen. So Star Wars isn't the biggest escapist franchise on the block anymore. Big deal.
Nor can they say that the superhero movies squeeze everything else out of the theaters.

I just checked out the lineup at my local Studio Movie Grill. They're still showing A Wrinkle in Time, a bomb that would have been written off, chopped up, and sold for banjo picks by now, if it wasn't being carried by Marvel profits.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The awards are all fiction anyway. They only matter to the people getting the awards --- and even some of the smarter ones in that crowd have wised up.
My point is that the snobs manage to ignore them for their favorite works of art...so they aren't crowding everything else out of the marketplace.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:49 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Yeah, but isn't the basic issue that super-hero films aren't very good? It's not like they're going to top any international "best ever" lists.

I went to see Black Panther, and was surprised at how mediocre it was. Just visual spectacle, but nothing clever about plot, dialogue, or anything else.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yeah, but isn't the basic issue that super-hero films aren't very good? It's not like they're going to top any international "best ever" lists.

I went to see Black Panther, and was surprised at how mediocre it was. Just visual spectacle, but nothing clever about plot, dialogue, or anything else.
Why should that be a point? Back in the 50s and 60s, there were more than a hundred westerns released every year, and not more than a handful are recognized as "good" for that entire period.

So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies