U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 AM

27,436 posts, read 44,934,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I find this obsession of the movie maker with unplanned pregnancy and the "awfulness" of motherhood a bit ridiculous. If one has a child with severe and complex problems and another child that needs attention as well, it is stupid to have another baby. It is not good for anyone involved including the new baby. That is what I was thinking throughout the movie and could not have much sympathy for the Theron character. She of course is a great actress but wasted in this meaningless role.

I wonder if a woman would make such a movie.
Some people don't believe abortion is an appropriate response to an unplanned pregnancy
Maybe not YOUR choice
But that is the point of Roe vs Wade--CHOICE

Don't turn this into a debate about abortion...
That wasn't even touched on in any significant way in the movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 AM

Theron was exceptional
And the scene where she is jogging and you can see the flab--that's motherhood for most women...
I give her all the cred for going from such great shape in Atomic Blonde to the flabby body of a mother of three...gaining that weight to create the flaccid body takes courage...

And since Theron has no children, I thought her achievement was even more proof of her terrific ability to empathize with her character
I don't think I have seen a movie where she was not exception...
The movie might have been crap (like the Will Smith/extra terrestrial one) but she was spot on...
And I agree that Diablo Cody is overrated...
Tully was pretty stereotypical with the "modern" woman who is really married to a man-child and has to do all the heavy lifting in the relationship...
Thought some parts of the movie were cop-outs--
Wouldn't want to watch it again really like I would other movies w/Theron (Valley of Elah exceptional IMO)...

Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM

2,787 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Some people don't believe abortion is an appropriate response to an unplanned pregnancy
Maybe not YOUR choice
But that is the point of Roe vs Wade--CHOICE

Don't turn this into a debate about abortion...
That wasn't even touched on in any significant way in the movie
Choice to run out on your kids, drink yourself silly, crash your car, and end up in the hospital? What kind of a responsible adult does that? It is not motherhood that does the character in as the movie tries to depict, but her mental illness and incapacity to function which it glosses over. To put a baby in her charge is to invite disaster.

Movies, art, and literature give rise to many interpretations and debate. That is the purpose of art. It is not merely entertainment.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:06 AM

And you said you liked the movie---
Doesn't sound like that...

Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Theron was exceptional
And the scene where she is jogging and you can see the flab--that's motherhood for most women...
I give her all the cred for going from such great shape in Atomic Blonde to the flabby body of a mother of three...gaining that weight to create the flaccid body takes courage...

And since Theron has no children, I thought her achievement was even more proof of her terrific ability to empathize with her character
I don't think I have seen a movie where she was not exception...
The movie might have been crap (like the Will Smith/extra terrestrial one) but she was spot on...
And I agree that Diablo Cody is overrated...
Tully was pretty stereotypical with the "modern" woman who is really married to a man-child and has to do all the heavy lifting in the relationship...
Thought some parts of the movie were cop-outs--
Wouldn't want to watch it again really like I would other movies w/Theron (Valley of Elah exceptional IMO)...
That is the body of THIS mother, not all women who have borne children. You have some pretty strange ideas of women and motherhood.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,560,668 times
Quote:
I find this obsession of the movie maker with unplanned pregnancy and the "awfulness" of motherhood a bit ridiculous. If one has a child with severe and complex problems and another child that needs attention as well, it is stupid to have another baby. It is not good for anyone involved including the new baby. That is what I was thinking throughout the movie and could not have much sympathy for the Theron character. She of course is a great actress but wasted in this meaningless role.

I wonder if a woman would make such a movie.
Charlize Theron produced the movie.

Very often with a special needs child, the parents are only figuring out that the 'quirks' their child has are more serious about the time they are thinking about having another child. Or after. In this story, the fact that the child was a handful sometimes just gave us a point of stress to witness. Plenty of people with 3 'normal' children would be exhausted in the same situation.

Would you be less judgemental if she'd had an abortion? That would be a different movie. Woman, so distraught over her decision not to have the 3rd child she always dreamed of, hallucinates bringing home a baby and caring for it. it just happens to always be sleeping when everyone else is home...

Last edited by Stagemomma; 05-16-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
And you said you liked the movie---
Doesn't sound like that...
I DO like the movie for what it has tried to do, and the way it needs to be unraveled. It has deep flaws which I attribute to the vision of the movie maker.
It was more ambitious than what he could bring to it.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,560,668 times
Quote:
Choice to run out on your kids, drink yourself silly, crash your car, and end up in the hospital? What kind of a responsible adult does that? It is not motherhood that does the character in as the movie tries to depict, but her mental illness and incapacity to function which it glosses over. To put a baby in her charge is to invite disaster.

Movies, art, and literature give rise to many interpretations and debate. That is the purpose of art. It is not merely entertainment.
She was suffering from exhaustion, PPD and had significant hallucinations. And therefore was no longer a 'responsible' adult. What part of that was 'glossed over'??? It was pretty clear.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 AM

9,665 posts, read 5,658,893 times
*** SPOILERS ***

Since this is a Tully thread - spoilers follow

Talk about spoilable movies. Tully is right up there with The Sixth Sense and Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green. What makes you keep thinking about Tully after you've seen it is to replay back what you didn't know and figure things out. Marlo is (was) an unreliable narrator - you have to figure out at what point (points / which scenes) was she telling / showing us her delusion (from postpartum depression, sleep deprivation, etc.) and what was reality. Kind of reminds me of the great Denis Villeneuve film Incendies (2010) with it's explosive reveal.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
*** SPOILERS ***

Since this is a Tully thread - spoilers follow

Talk about spoilable movies. Tully is right up there with The Sixth Sense and Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green. What makes you keep thinking about Tully after you've seen it is to replay back what you didn't know and figure things out. Marlo is (was) an unreliable narrator - you have to figure out at what point (points / which scenes) was she telling / showing us her delusion (from postpartum depression, sleep deprivation, etc.) and what was reality. Kind of reminds me of the great Denis Villeneuve film Incendies (2010) with it's explosive reveal.
At what point does she become unreliable? At the point Tully enters or earlier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies