U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:46 PM

1,690 posts, read 601,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I find it funny that movie critics HATE this movie, while audiences seem to LOVE it.

Which is the exact same thing that happened with Queen's music.
I have no idea where you get the idea that critics HATED Queen's music.

In their heydey through 1980, Queen released eight albums. Six of them were well-received; not regarded as masterpieces but they got mostly good reviews. Only Queen II and Jazz received really mixed reviews, and they were just that - tepid, considering the albums mediocre, but not HATING them. Subsequently, neither the Flash Gordon soundtrack nor Hot Space were well-received, and I don't think too many Queen fans now dispute the validity of those receptions. But after that the critical reception of their albums bounced back somewhat. One can cherry-pick the odd disparaging review, but one can do that with any album by any band. Of course, A Day at the Races was not considered in 1976 the masterpiece that it is now widely acknowledged to be classics. Still, that's true with lots of albums - Abbey Road and Blood on the Tracks come to mind.

It simply wasn't the case that the critical music press HATED Queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 07:00 PM

510 posts, read 202,339 times
Here's a nice site that talks about the movie vs real life

Bohemian Rhapsody Movie vs the True Story of Freddie Mercury & Queen

Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 450,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I have no idea where you get the idea that critics HATED Queen's music.
The British press absolutely loathed them. The more success they enjoyed, the worse their reviews got. Much like Zeppelin and Sabbath before them.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:50 PM

2,344 posts, read 1,939,195 times
Mercury was most likely a baritone who used subharmonics to sound in the tenor range.

This is according to a study that indicates he didn’t actually have an incredible range, just the range of a healthy adult.

His ability to control his instrument is what made that voice incredible!

https://reverb.com/news/scientific-s...-one-of-a-kind

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ce-nature.html

I guess it’s similar to Maria Callas using her Gothic arch of a palate and transforming her vocal tract to be able to si g in different fachs. It’s very rare to find a good “Carmen” who can also do a good “Norma”.

My pet peeve is that people will freak out over Mercury, Plant, Gaga— but never listen to
opera which is where the vocal superstar athletes really are!

Just sayin’.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 11-11-2018 at 02:04 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 03:43 PM

15,198 posts, read 19,845,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
My pet peeve is that people will freak out over Mercury, Plant, Gaga— but never listen to opera which is where the vocal superstar athletes really are!
Opera does indeed require a vocal talent that few mortals possess. The problem is that opera is … well, I guess the kindest thing I could say is that it is an acquired taste. Most of the hoi polloi just don't care for it. It is a rather elitist art form. Given the choice between listening to a tongue-in-cheek song about fat-bottomed girls and a four-hour vocal trip about Viking angst, sung entirely in German, it's no wonder your average person is going to prefer rock music over opera.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 PM

6,385 posts, read 8,074,214 times
Anyone who's followed Mercury's music throughout his life would have been exposed to Opera because of his partnership in 1988 with Opera Diva Montserrat Caballé and their critically acclaimed album, Barcelona. Montserrat just died in Oct 2018. I'm not personally a fan of Opera, but I did appreciate the Operatic aspects Mercury brought to some of his songs, particularly BoRhap.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:08 AM

2,344 posts, read 1,939,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Opera does indeed require a vocal talent that few mortals possess. The problem is that opera is … well, I guess the kindest thing I could say is that it is an acquired taste. Most of the hoi polloi just don't care for it. It is a rather elitist art form. Given the choice between listening to a tongue-in-cheek song about fat-bottomed girls and a four-hour vocal trip about Viking angst, sung entirely in German, it's no wonder your average person is going to prefer rock music over opera.
It’s not all about Wagnerian fat ladies singing. Wagner’s operas are probably the least accessible of all. There are some pretty humorous and accessible operas out there. And many in English. Currently “ Marnie” is enjoying a good run.
I know several opera singers who work blue collar or somewhat mundane jobs to pay the bills. I guess to the average person it could seem elitist.

http://www.wlrn.org/post/secret-live...-opera-singers

I guess my gripe is that people don’t give things a chance. Classical singing gives me a High I never got singing anything else. But it is hard work. There’s no guitar solo to bail you out if you hit a weak note.

Montserrat asked Mercury to collaborate with her, but he would have sung baritone which would have confused the fan base.

Sebastian Bach from Skid Row is a wonderful lyric tenor, by the way. And I definitely believe there are several rock and jazz singers who could easily succeed in bel canto singing. Sarah Vaughn comes to mind.

And yes, Mercury could have sung whatever he darn well wanted to sing and been incredible at it.

Didn’t mean to derail the thread. Just defending my classical cohorts lol. Carry on!!

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 11-12-2018 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Her

287 posts, read 724,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Very nice.

Hopefully, the issues with the director(s) won't damage the final product.

It's too bad they couldn't (or refused to) come up with a more interesting film title than the obvious cash-in of a song title, but that's just a minor quibble. It was probably inevitable. So, too, is the song's re-re-release as a single (one wonders how high it will chart this time?).

I'm pleased to see May (along with Taylor) serving as music producer for the film. Also, it's great that it wraps up with Live Aid in 1985, rather than going all tear-jerker to 1991. And let's face it - aside from Mercury's long and slow demise, everything interesting and musically compelling about the band was over by that iconic moment, anyway.

What the....
One word. Innuendo

Old 11-13-2018, 07:01 PM

15,198 posts, read 19,845,853 times
Quote:
It’s not all about Wagnerian fat ladies singing. Wagner’s operas are probably the least accessible of all.
Hewesy!

Quote:
There are some pretty humorous and accessible operas out there. And many in English. Currently “ Marnie” is enjoying a good run.
I know several opera singers who work blue collar or somewhat mundane jobs to pay the bills. I guess to the average person it could seem elitist.
All true. But yes, for whatever reason, opera remains largely an elitist sport, at least for audiences.

Quote:
Classical singing gives me a High I never got singing anything else.
And there's a lot more to Classical singing than opera. Opera is only one tiny slice of the cake. Personally, I find most operatic vocals like nails on a chalkboard. There are exceptions, but they only prove the rule. But I do love a lot of chorales, chants, and other "classical" music for the voice.

Quote:
Sebastian Bach from Skid Row is a wonderful lyric tenor, by the way.
Whoa. Mind blown.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:50 PM

20,394 posts, read 37,973,821 times
Saw the movie, liked it a lot, and recommend it to you. Learned a lot about Freddy Mercury in the movie and since then by googling.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies