U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 01:33 PM

6,700 posts, read 8,273,924 times

Advertisements

Marc Martel is well-known as a singer whose voice comes very close to sounding like Freddie Mercury. It was a no-brainer that his singing was going to be used in the movie; he's just that good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 02:55 AM

20,781 posts, read 13,229,483 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcFOVtzVi5Q

Interesting documentary on what happened to him through his illness and death. Sad.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:33 PM

211 posts, read 38,795 times
The joyous celebration of Queen's music was outstanding. The dramatic storylines? Aside from that of Mary Austin and a scene here and there, they left a lot to be desired.

Random thoughts:
*Nice touch with Mike Myers as the douchebag executive and the Wayne's World reference (it took me forever to figure out who was playing that character - he looks like ELO's Jeff Lynne).
*The crowds CGI was well done and not distracting.
*Loved the cats.
*This is a film that has to be seen in a theater and not on a televison.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:28 PM

20,781 posts, read 13,229,483 times
https://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-vide...Mue6Q3qzA9FdDk

This Pika Recreate Freddie Mercury's 'Ay-Oh' Routine At Live Aid

So cute.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:43 PM

1,532 posts, read 831,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Jim Morrison was many things. A great vocalist he was not.
Add Ian Gillian of Deep Purple and David Byron of Uriah Heep to the list of awesome vocalists in 1970s.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:50 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,031,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I love lots of singers who don’t have perfect vocals. Bob Dylan, Bono from U2, Courtney Love with Hole. None of them would win a singing competition, but I’d listen to them over many voices that are perfect.
As far as opera/ classical singing goes, Maria Callas is considered by many to be the greatest. However, she was not perfect. Hard to believe the woman literally had fruits and vegetables thrown at her. It was the emotion that she could convey that gets the heart. I have yet to hear another classical singer who can tear me up like she does.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/19...rrence-mcnally

I love Courtney’s voice. You know she believes what she’s singing, which is the point after all.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 12-03-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Add Ian Gillian of Deep Purple and David Byron of Uriah Heep to the list of awesome vocalists in 1970s.
Yep. Ian was the singer on the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Hewesy!

All true. But yes, for whatever reason, opera remains largely an elitist sport, at least for audiences.

And there's a lot more to Classical singing than opera. Opera is only one tiny slice of the cake. Personally, I find most operatic vocals like nails on a chalkboard. There are exceptions, but they only prove the rule. But I do love a lot of chorales, chants, and other "classical" music for the voice.

Whoa. Mind blown.
All true! Here’s a song that classical singers learn at the start. Relatively simple, but a masterpiece when done like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL5hEhxOH6s

Cecilia’s a mezzo so it’s not screechy lol.

And some of might recognize the Handel piece as it has been used in movies where some tragedy is playing out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuSiuMuBLhM

Some interesting stuff about classical music in movies:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/ric...ined-by-movies

This is the song that got me into Queen and it’s still probably my favorite, odd as that may be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_SVPiXnWM

It’s kind of a rock- madrigal. I just love that whole album.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 12-03-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 06:31 PM

263 posts, read 84,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Critics be damned, just got back from seeing this movie, give it Oscars for best film and best actor. First movie in a long time that I want to see again.

I am so stupid, I saw Mike Myers was in the movie but driving back home, couldn't figure out where. Had to later Google it. D'OH!
I forgot he was, but I was the only one who laughed at the line about "it's not like kids are going to be headbanging to it in a car."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I really enjoyed the movie, even thinking about seeing it again. I was never a Queen fan but I remember the band very well growing up.
My thoughts:

The fake teeth was overkill. Sure, he had the teeth issue but they didn't need to really focus on that with the fake teeth on the actor. Very distracting at times.
They should have used the actual Live Aid footage at the end. I honestly don't understand why they didn't. Maybe for legal reasons?
I'm glad they didn't use someone else's singing voice during the movie, like the did with Selena.
I loved that Mike Meyers was in the movie. Perfect!
Despite him being gay/bi, I'm happy they kept the storyline a main focus that he forever loved Mary. That was sweet.
I thought the teeth were overdone... Freddie's didn't seem that pronounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
They certainly did. A variety of voices were used. A little of Rami Malek's was mixed in, but mostly Marc Martel combined with Queen tracks.
I didn't, either. I thought they used all Queen tracks. Bit disappointing.

I loved it. I loved it as a Queen celebration, as a feel-good movie. Had I been expecting it to be a true biopic, I'm sure I would have been disappointed, and I wish a few more of the real facts had been stuck to, but still a great movie.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM

2,702 posts, read 648,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
We went to see this yesterday and I have done very little today except for reading about Freddie and playing Queen songs. My husband has a health issue, and it's very difficult for him to sit through such a long movie unless it really takes him out of the moment. (He had to take a break twice during A Star is Born.) He not only sat through this entire film, he wouldn't leave until the music and the credits were completely over. It was a great way to spend an afternoon.

I will say that at first the teeth and bad wigs were somewhat distracting, but before long I overlooked them as I bought into the story and characters. It was fantastic to end it on a triumphant note. The film acknowledged that yes, Freddie had AIDS, but focusing on how he lived rather than how he died is surely how he would have wanted it.
I totally agree. They ended the movie in 1985 and he was already sick but didn't die until 1991. That must have been slow and painful. Didn't really want to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies