U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 08:45 PM

13,016 posts, read 24,143,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
My wife and I liked all of those cats. Some real performers and lots of great expressions.

I liked the cats too, and I read that Rami is allergic to cats.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:06 PM

9,963 posts, read 7,218,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I find it funny that movie critics HATE this movie, while audiences seem to LOVE it.

Which is the exact same thing that happened with Queen's music.

My wife and I saw the movie the other night and it was great. She remembers watching Queen on TV during the Live Aid concert. It was fun to see how the classic songs came to be and the concert scenes were amazing.

What I thought was really funny was when the record producer (played by Mike Meyers aka Wayne of "Wayne's World") said that no one would ever bang their head to Bohemian Rhapsody. Too Funny.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM

9,963 posts, read 7,218,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
He definitely had a huge overbite. I just personally thought they didnít scale the teeth to Malekís face, it bugged me

In the movie before Freddie joins the band the drummer said you will never be a front man, why not? because of those teeth ! then Freddie sings a bit and blows them away. it was a fun scene.

The reason why Freddie had such an overbite was because he was born with an extra set of incisors.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 PM

192 posts, read 109,659 times
We went to see this yesterday and I have done very little today except for reading about Freddie and playing Queen songs. My husband has a health issue, and it's very difficult for him to sit through such a long movie unless it really takes him out of the moment. (He had to take a break twice during A Star is Born.) He not only sat through this entire film, he wouldn't leave until the music and the credits were completely over. It was a great way to spend an afternoon.

I will say that at first the teeth and bad wigs were somewhat distracting, but before long I overlooked them as I bought into the story and characters. It was fantastic to end it on a triumphant note. The film acknowledged that yes, Freddie had AIDS, but focusing on how he lived rather than how he died is surely how he would have wanted it.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 PM

1,205 posts, read 700,790 times
Tonight i saw it at an iMax theater. Wow! I have always loved their energy and Freddy was so charismatic. I think they caught the energy. I wasn’t ready for the movie to end. And, i loved the cats. I know the critics panned but if its music its good.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 AM

15,172 posts, read 19,819,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In the movie before Freddie joins the band the drummer said you will never be a front man, why not? because of those teeth ! then Freddie sings a bit and blows them away. it was a fun scene.
It was a great scene. It's also fiction. But I'm okay with that. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. Biopics must succeed as drama before they attempt historical accuracy.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:26 PM

6,363 posts, read 8,056,404 times
I just adore Queen and their music and was very interested in this movie.

The backstory as portrayed in the film is quite different than reality--they munged a lot of important details in service of slamming together 15 yrs of history in 2 hrs. The most notable is Freddie didn't find out for sure he had AIDS until nearly 2 years after LiveAID (early 1987) and he supposedly didn't tell the band until a dinner in 1989, though the band knew something was wrong, as did most people close to Mercury, but it wasn't talked about. Mercury never was diagnosed HIV+; when he was diagnosed he had already progressed to full blown AIDS.

Freddie never quit the band and there was no breakup of the band; they all did solo projects, Roger & Brian put out their solo albums before Freddie ever did his, so the whole scene of Freddie begging to be let back into the group is fiction. In addition there were no "years" since they had last played together before LiveAID since they came off a major tour in May 1985 and LiveAID was mid July 1985. Freddie wasn't particularly interested in LiveAID. It was actually Bob Geldolf who told Freddie to get off his arse and do the concert and Geldolf wouldn't take no for an answer. The rest is history.

Freddie never introduced Jim Hutton to his family as anything and never came out to them (though they obviously knew he was gay just from all the press reports in the last few years). Jim Hutton was hired on as the gardener at Garden Lodge after starting a relationship with Freddie and moving in, and if Freddie's parents ever saw Jim, they were told that's the gardener. There was no tea at the parents' house with Jim Hutton, no discussion of Freddie's personal romantic life.

--------------------

As for the actors, Gwilym ('Brian') was uncanny in his resemblance. And John Deacon too--spot on. Rami did as well as he could and there were times he nailed it. Those teeth they gave him made his face bulge out sideways and it always looked to me like he was struggling to keep them in. Personally I found that distracting. Rami is short (he's not 5'9"); my guess is more like 5'5", if even that. He's a small/thin man. The Mary character didn't really look or sound like Mary Austin, IMO.

The screenplay is weak, which is partly why I think critics are giving the movie low marks. The movie lacks cohesiveness. I liked the film quite a bit, but I didn't OMG LOVE the film. I'd rate it 6 or 6.5 out of 10.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:23 AM
Status: "...but I call you 'Stormy', today.'" (set 29 days ago)

1,594 posts, read 776,326 times
Haven't seen it yet but I intend to. I commented to friends that the actor looks too friendly to portray Freddie--to me he looks nothing like him--and one friend agreed, saying that he looked like 'someone dressing up as Freddie Mercury for Halloween'.

I'll still see it, but Sacha looks so much more like Freddie, I would've loved to have seen what he would've done with the role.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:28 AM
Status: "...but I call you 'Stormy', today.'" (set 29 days ago)

1,594 posts, read 776,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I saw the movie the other night and it was great. She remembers watching Queen on TV during the Live Aid concert. It was fun to see how the classic songs came to be and the concert scenes were amazing.

What I thought was really funny was when the record producer (played by Mike Meyers aka Wayne of "Wayne's World") said that no one would ever bang their head to Bohemian Rhapsody. Too Funny.
That is just classic, lol.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 AM

12,916 posts, read 10,867,944 times
lottamoxie...thank you for that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies