Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 04:31 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

I'm of the "generation" that was in their youth during the heyday of Queen.

I loved the movie, thought it was perfectly cast, and really enjoyed it.

Rami Malek deserves all the accolades he is getting for such a tremendous effort in playing such a beloved and iconic person. Very tough to do.

Interestingly, the recreation of the Live Aid concert was not my favorite part. A+ for effort on all fronts, but that 1985 performance by Queen is just impossible to create or capture. I guess I've watched the real performance too many times. Also, just a small thing, but the "deep pool brown" color of Freddie's eyes, for me, were a large part of his "presence". The bright blue of Malek's eyes in contrast, were a bit of a distraction for me at times. I'm wondering why they were not able to use contacts or something.

Finally, I would have loved to have heard Show Must Go On or Who Wants To Live Forever in the movie somewhere, but I guess they didn't fit the time period they were in for the movie.

Anyway, great flick, we plan on seeing it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:00 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Finally, I would have loved to have heard Show Must Go On or Who Wants To Live Forever in the movie somewhere,

"Show Must Go On" was played over the closing credits.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:08 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Great movie. I think it would have been the topping on the cake if somehow they would have shown the real Live Aid performance with the real Freddy. It would have ended with a WOW!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc

Old 11-16-2018, 10:19 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Great movie. I think it would have been the topping on the cake if somehow they would have shown the real Live Aid performance with the real Freddy. It would have ended with a WOW!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc

Great idea Janelle!!!

My husband and I saw it last weekend and loved it. The audience clapped at the end, which is so rare these days. I thought Remi did a great job. I loved the music (wish there had been more) and Mike Myers cameo was perfect.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
"Show Must Go On" was played over the closing credits.
"Who wants to live Forever" was played after he gets the AIDS diagnosis.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:03 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Critics be damned, just got back from seeing this movie, give it Oscars for best film and best actor. First movie in a long time that I want to see again.

I am so stupid, I saw Mike Myers was in the movie but driving back home, couldn't figure out where. Had to later Google it. D'OH!

Old 11-17-2018, 06:38 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Great idea Janelle!!!

My husband and I saw it last weekend and loved it. The audience clapped at the end, which is so rare these days. I thought Remi did a great job. I loved the music (wish there had been more) and Mike Myers cameo was perfect.
I am glad a film was made about the great vocalists who existed before the era of "Auto-Tune" software. Nowadays, many "singers" use "Auto-Tune" software to correct notoriously bad voices - most notably Taylor Swift. But back in the time of Queen "Auto-Tune" software did not exist. In the 60s and 70s there was no "Google", "Android", laptop computer, chromebook, etc. Advanced engineering software like Matlab, Python IDE, Intelij or Eclipse for Java, etc. did not exist yet. Most computer processors were of rudimentary quality. The engineers of the day could not make a voice "sound" better with computers.

Hence, it took legitimate vocal talent like Queen's lead singer to carry the music of the day. Other examples include Karen Carpenter, Dionne Warwick, Joni Mitchell, Jim Morrison, William Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Robert Palmer, etc. They were indeed the "Champions".

The 2:26 mark shows Karen's talent without Auto-Tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPb8_M6Fftk

A biographical film about Joni Mitchell had been planned with Taylor Swift in the role, but Joni refused. Taylor simply does not have the extreme vocal talent to match Joni without "Auto-Tune" software. Joni excelled at a time when vocalists had to thrive without "Auto-Tune".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTT54TEbolE

In the 1970s Apple Computer was barely getting started and did not have the technology to enhance bad voices in a typical music recording studio like today. Bad singers couldn't use computers to enhance voices because they simply weren't evolved enough to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxthr3fq-EI

Last edited by grad_student200; 11-17-2018 at 06:47 AM..

Old 11-18-2018, 02:07 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Critics be damned, just got back from seeing this movie, give it Oscars for best film and best actor. First movie in a long time that I want to see again.

I am so stupid, I saw Mike Myers was in the movie but driving back home, couldn't figure out where. Had to later Google it. D'OH!
Re Mike Myers ... difficult to recognize - and his northern English accent was very good. Quite an accomplishment for a North American actor.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Hence, it took legitimate vocal talent like Queen's lead singer to carry the music of the day. Other examples include Karen Carpenter, Dionne Warwick, Joni Mitchell, Jim Morrison, William Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Robert Palmer, etc. They were indeed the "Champions".
Jim Morrison was many things. A great vocalist he was not.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Here's a nice site that talks about the movie vs real life

Bohemian Rhapsody Movie vs the True Story of Freddie Mercury & Queen
This is why I don’t think much of biopics, embellished plot lines to make the story more entertaining than factual.

There is a cutting room error in the movie, a text graphic that says London 1980 then goes to a scene that shows Brian May developing the concept for We Will Rock You which came out in 1977 on News Of The World.

I wish they would have included something about Day At The Races too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies