U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:57 PM

5,601 posts, read 2,441,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
One of the worst movies I've ever seen was Cannibal Holocaust. I'm not opposed to gore in movies, but this was one of the dumbest ones I've ever seen. Ironically, it got banned in a number of countries.

The director tried to pull a stunt that would later be emulated by Blair Witch Project by making it's lead actors disappear to give the public the impression that they had died during filming, only he got sued when he got back to Italy, so he had to call it off. Blair Witch Project is much more effective at doing horror and is a far better movie. Both are part of the found footage sub-genre of horror.
The Blair Witch Project is overrated and stole its premise from The Last Broadcast, released a year or so earlier, the directors of the former even saying "[they] only got there first."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122143/

Cannibal Holocaust is bona fide trash cinema, a gore film with depictions of unsimulated violence against animals, and for that reason alone I will never give it an ounce of my valuable time. F— that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:23 PM

8,910 posts, read 4,847,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'll watch anything with Vincent Price and Christopher Lee, the two actors with the best voices of their time, one on this side of the pond, and one on that side of the pond.

Witchfinder General is one of my favorite Price movies, too.
Off the top of my head, "Cry of the Banshee" is mine......oh, that fueled many childhood fantasies.

A thing about Christopher Lee is he knew how to die, like in "The Man With The Golden Gun". By then, having died so much, he had it down to an art.

I have his Fu Manchu series and am slowly going through it and when it comes to ordering DVDs and tapes (like The Bloody Judge in the latter) when searching for that excitement I knew as a child, his flicks are one of the ones I look for.......just as I look for those of Madeline Smith.

Edit: Flicks that Scanners and The Thing I go back to, again and again and it isn't because of the shock value. That may be vital the first time around, but then their value comes in the lines, such as those lines before the first Scanner's demise when he tells Michael Ironside, "I want you to think of something, something that won't violate the security of your organization nor upset you if revealed in public.". That attention to detail is what really moves a movie for me but so often, it is lost when they try to show the "bigness" of the set, such as, as in what might have been lost in the re edits, the "housewives" in the background, exchanging recipes, in the FIRST Star Wars flick as the storm troopers go marching by to stop the Em Falcon from taking off.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-17-2018 at 10:47 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 12:07 AM

20,187 posts, read 12,840,711 times
"In the course of the "art," women and children are brutally — and graphically — murdered.
That led to a mass walkout in Cannes."

This is what turned people off. Brutally murdering children and with all the child abuse cases we have in real life it would be a turn off, plus make people sick.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:57 AM

22 posts, read 6,798 times
I admit that heavy gore doesn't ALWAYS work against a movie if it's in the right context & execution; it's just that I'm personally a weakling when it comes to watching very-heavy-gore in movies.

I mentioned that VERY gory scene in POLTERGEIST (the '82 original), and it works for so many reasons -- it's shocking because it's juxtaposed against non-gore, and it's also such a freaky disturbing scene for its supernatural context, and in an all-around very amazing movie.

I could say the same about ALIEN actually -- an effective shocking moment of gore (the famous hatching scene) in an otherwise not-too-gory (and amazing) movie. The same applies to the microwave scene in GREMLINS, actually!

The first murder scene in PSYCHO (the 1960 original) and the following 'crime-scene clean-up' scene made me literally lightheaded, but of course I have no complaints about those scenes in themselves (nor of the movie in general of course).

When it comes to THE EXORCIST -- and its 1 (that I remember) uber-gory scene -- I respect this movie for what it is, but it's just not personally my cup of tea -- it did its job on me for sure, it's just that it makes me TOO uncomfortable personally (not for gore, just for subject matter and content) for me to care to ever revisit it.

I very much liked THE FUNHOUSE (1981), which is (even still) a well-regarded movie in general by the public, and not gory.

SCREAM (1996) is a very good movie, has a lot of gore, but somehow it was easier for me to stomach it, probably because it works in the context of the scenes and because it's very tongue-in-cheek. The 2nd one was actually much gorier -- that movie theater murder was too drawn-out and agonizing to watch with too much seriousness -- and was overall just a much weaker movie. The 3rd SCREAM was not gory, but it was a completely ridiculous movie. I didn't see the 4th one.

I very much liked Vincent Price in HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, and love that he injected humor into his role, which was very fitting to the movie in general. I'd love to see more of his classic horror movies.

And now for my embarrassing confession -- I'm prepared for a barrage of attacks -- I actually liked the HOUSE OF WAX remake. It was extremely creepy, disturbing, and suspenseful. And Paris Hilton did a good job at acting scared (her role wasn't otherwise demanding, but she just acted like herself in the non-scary scenes). I honestly feel like the reason why this movie got so much flack and no one admits to its scariness was the fact that it starred Paris Hilton. That and the fact that it was a remake of such a classic (which I still need to watch btw!). Still, I know, I know, Paris Hilton should NEVER be mentioned in the same post as Vincent Price.

Last edited by paperinopazzo; 05-18-2018 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinopazzo View Post
And now for my embarrassing confession -- I'm prepared for a barrage of attacks -- I actually liked the HOUSE OF WAX remake. It was extremely creepy, disturbing, and suspenseful. And Paris Hilton did a good job at acting scared (her role wasn't otherwise demanding, but she just acted like herself in the non-scary scenes). I honestly feel like the reason why this movie got so much flack and no one admits to its scariness was the fact that it starred Paris Hilton. That and the fact that it was a remake of such a classic (which I still need to watch btw!). Still, I know, I know, Paris Hilton should NEVER be mentioned in the same post as Vincent Price.
It's got nothing to do with Paris herself so much as the fact it's just an okay film. I didn't think it was the least bit scary. It's on par with that crappy remake of Carpenter's The Thing (the one they tried to pass off as a prequel), and The Cabin in the Woods: empty calories.

For a great remake, watch The Hills Have Eyes. That thing has no right to be as good as it turned out.

The same goes for Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead. And the original is one of my favorite movies.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 AM

8,873 posts, read 7,360,024 times
A well made murder film doesn’t need to go to this level. It’s like you see the gun fire or the blade swing, you see the blood splatter, but you don’t see what it did to its victims. This seems like the director wanted so badly to make a snuff film and did it as close to realistic as possible without breaking the law by actually killing people on film.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:12 AM

1,986 posts, read 718,048 times
Quote:
The Blair Witch Project is overrated and stole its premise from The Last Broadcast, released a year or so earlier, the directors of the former even saying "[they] only got there first."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122143/

Cannibal Holocaust is bona fide trash cinema, a gore film with depictions of unsimulated violence against animals, and for that reason alone I will never give it an ounce of my valuable time. F— that.
I'll have to check it out. Ive never heard of the Last Broadcast.

And yeah Cannibal Holocaust is absolute trash. That's one movie I have no intention of ever revisiting. I think the only reason the crew got away with animal slaughter was because it came out at a time before animal rights were a thing. Before IMDB closed down it's forum, aninal cruelty was one of the main topics on the movie's board.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:52 AM

22 posts, read 6,798 times
Quote:
It's got nothing to do with Paris herself so much as the fact it's just an okay film. I didn't think it was the least bit scary. It's on par with that crappy remake of Carpenter's The Thing (the one they tried to pass off as a prequel), and The Cabin in the Woods: empty calories.

For a great remake, watch The Hills Have Eyes. That thing has no right to be as good as it turned out.

The same goes for Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead. And the original is one of my favorite movies.
I respect your view on the HOUSE OF WAX remake. Reactions to movies in general are of course very subjective. I agree about incomparably awful remakes (that I had the displeasure to watch) to great classic horror movies, though, being a disturbing trend that's been going on for too long actually -- where's the creativity?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinopazzo View Post
I respect your view on the HOUSE OF WAX remake. Reactions to movies in general are of course very subjective. I agree about incomparably awful remakes (that I had the displeasure to watch) to great classic horror movies, though, being a disturbing trend that's been going on for too long actually -- where's the creativity?
Again, I recommend It Follows if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/

Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 PM

8,910 posts, read 4,847,166 times
Hmmmm, Cannibal Holocaust? I had to look that up to see if I had seen it, but no, that was Cannibal Ferox (Make them Die Slowly).

As it is, what I find hilarious about Holocaust is.......that Robert Kerman had the lead role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or