U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 PM

5,050 posts, read 601,789 times

Advertisements

Great suggestions so far! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 03:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 490,252 times
The Inheritance (one of my faves)

Return to Snowy River (someone already mentioned Man From Snowy River)

While You Were Sleeping

One Special Night with Julie Andrews and James Garner. Love it!

Old 05-23-2018, 08:20 PM

2,491 posts, read 1,253,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Somewhere In Time.

that is all...
I second that!!!! One of my all time favorites and the music is incredible.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:31 AM

734 posts, read 221,120 times
well, this one is dating me.... Summer of 42.... ((((((((((sigh)))))))))))

need i even mention Love Story?

or Sabrina? 1954 version, Bogart and Hepburn

The Constant Nymph- old old oldie but a goodie

A slew of Bette Davis movies, where to begin? Elizabeth and Essex, Jezebel, Dark Victory, All this and Heaven Too, The Great Lie.... just google a list of her movies and you'll find a winner

Harold and Maude, so darn funny, quirky, a must must see!!!!
Roman Holiday.... Hepburn and Grant (sigh)
Bridges of Madison County Streep and Clint Eastwood (omg ba-BUMP goes my heart)
Sophie's Choice Streep and Kevin Kline (adore him)
While you Were Sleeping..... Bullock, absolutely adorable movie
Return to Me... minnie driver need i say more....and best supporting ensemble cast EVER in the history of hollywood
Memoirs of a Geisha
The English Patient..... luscious

You might have to do some heavy hunting for this one, but it is just delicious THE STATION AGENT- probably the one movie with the most awards won that no one ever heard about..... yeah, i'm including this under love stories, wanna make sumthin' of it???

back up to the present, do not miss renting The Shape of Water.... or if you can rent it on cable, do spend the $5.99 it's totally worth it

The Vow with Rachel McAdams.... loved it

P.s. I love you....Hilary Swank, Harry Connick Jr. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and hunka hunka Gerard Butler.... GREAT movie!!!!

What Dreams May Come..... Robin Williams and yes, i loved it

older but just as good and very simple love story, A Walk to Remember....

hilarious and cute The Proposal with Sandra Bullock, will watch anything with Sandra Bullock

The Lake House is kinda luminous really

a a great great movie most Americans missed because you have to follow the subtitles, it's german but oh so great a movie!!!!! do watch this one you will not regret it (and do not watch the American version, pure crap) Mostly Martha

The Other Side of Heaven....it's a Disney movie with Anne Hathaway, and again i'll watch anything with Anne Hathaway...

Did anyone mention Serendipity, nice movie.... john cusack i think and darn, that actress i can never remember her name!!!

going back years again.... Julia with Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave.... it was Meryl Streep's first movie i think, blink and you won't see her..... i'll get a lot of flack over this as a love movie, but i'm stickin' to my guns!!!!

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!, Stanley and Iris..... Robert De Niro and Fonda..... can't miss the only one of the two movies i was ever in!!!! (other was Ragtime, where i relentlessly hatched plots to get close to Jimmy Cagney.... i'm in the crowd scenes in these two movies, LOL)

Last edited by ceiligrrl; 06-03-2018 at 05:12 AM..

Old 06-03-2018, 10:58 AM

20,298 posts, read 15,642,764 times
I'll Be Seeing You (1944) Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotten, Shirley Temple

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036940/

Portrait of Jennie (1948) Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Ethel Barrymore

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040705/

The Cowboy and the Movie Star (1998) Sean Young, Perry King, Priscilla Barnes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160152/

Old 06-03-2018, 04:20 PM

9,669 posts, read 5,663,924 times
The Remains of the Day (1993), directed by James Ivory. Stars Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Fox, and Christopher Reeve.

Flash of Genius (2008). Stars Greg Kinnear. Based on Robert Kearns, who invented the intermittent windshield wiper and his legal battle with Ford Motor Company (I wonder how that turned out!).

Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), directed by Vincente Minnelli. Stars Judy Garland and Mary Astor. June Lockhart is in it to - she played the mom in Lost in Space. Beautiful sets, color, costumes. A joy to watch.

The Shop Around the Corner (1940), directed by Ernst Lubitsch. Stars Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, and Frank Morgan (aka The Wizard in The Wizard of Oz).

In the Good Old Summertime (1949), the remake of The Shop Around the Corner. Stars Judy Garland, Van Johnson, and Buster Keaton.

Pygmalion (1938). Stars Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller. Was remade into My Fair Lady.

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937), directed by Leo McCarey. Orson Welles said of Make Way for Tomorrow, It would make a stone cry.

Love Affair (1939) and / or An Affair to Remember (1959). Both are excellent, and the same story! Leo McCarey decided to direct the same movie again. The first has Irene Dunne & Charles Boyer, the second Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr. I like Love Affair the best.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:07 AM

860 posts, read 440,285 times
"Lion" is a great one also "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" both with Dev Patel

Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 AM

8,862 posts, read 4,829,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would love to see a continuing thread about movie recommendations for those of us who are not enamored with violence or gore or graphic sex. Yes, I am talking about movies for those of us who enjoy heartwarming and/or period romances and dramas.

It seems that the only time I hear of these is through YouTube recommendations, and then -- most of the time -- only to find that they have either do not receive widespread distribution or have already left the theaters, and are not available for purchase (DVD).

Does it also have to be "protected" so they don't die from laughter?

If not, then "A New Leaf" (1971)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067482/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 PM

540 posts, read 662,294 times
About Time - it's a love story with time travel involved...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/

Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,537,784 times
Cocoon - 1985
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or