U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 04:14 PM

5,046 posts, read 597,010 times

Advertisements

I would love to see a continuing thread about movie recommendations for those of us who are not enamored with violence or gore or graphic sex. Yes, I am talking about movies for those of us who enjoy heartwarming and/or period romances and dramas.

It seems that the only time I hear of these is through YouTube recommendations, and then -- most of the time -- only to find that they have either do not receive widespread distribution or have already left the theaters, and are not available for purchase (DVD).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 05:34 PM

923 posts, read 404,407 times
The Notebook - all ages love it it is newer.

All Nicholas Sparks movies would all fit that bill, I think.

You could also go to your library and look at the collections of videos, or as for recommendations there.

You can also put your favorites into your Amazon cart, and they will start making suggestions, and you can read reviews.
You don't have to buy anything, just use the suggestions and reviews.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 PM

39,024 posts, read 37,656,456 times
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2361509/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1412386/

Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 PM

3,787 posts, read 2,006,199 times
Somewhere In Time.

that is all...

Old 05-18-2018, 10:32 PM

2,038 posts, read 2,778,511 times
I personally don't understand Nicholas Sparks' popularity. His stories are always filled with manufactured angst for no other purpose than to make you cry. I call that lazy writing. But, to each her own.

For good romantic stories, and if you like British mini series, I highly recommend 'North And South', based on Elizabeth Gaskell's classic novel. Another book to TV by Ms. Gaskell is 'Wives and Daughters', also by BBC.

A more recent romantic British movie I enjoyed recently was 'Far From The Madding Crowd', which was released in 2015 and the story took place in rural farmland of Dorset.

I also enjoyed 'Stardust', an American film released in 2007 with Claire Daines. Stardust is fantasy genre with a lot of humor, and Robert DeNiro playing a gay pirate!

Old 05-19-2018, 12:02 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would love to see a continuing thread about movie recommendations for those of us who are not enamored with violence or gore or graphic sex. Yes, I am talking about movies for those of us who enjoy heartwarming and/or period romances and dramas.

It seems that the only time I hear of these is through YouTube recommendations, and then -- most of the time -- only to find that they have either do not receive widespread distribution or have already left the theaters, and are not available for purchase (DVD).
I don't know how many times I heard that exact same sentiment expressed at theatres where I worked. In a few cases, we went out of our way to bring in the films that were being begged for. The result? Bupkis. Empty auditoriums and lost revenue. Some of the most vocal were "leaders" of local churches or groups. Sometimes the only way to make them see the light of day was to offer them an auditorium rental with the terms the film companies demanded, and add in a charge for the theatre nut and a little profit. Eyes glazed over and faces blanched faster than if Father Beauregard had lifted his robes and flashed the faithful at Mass.

I tried to figure out why the disconnect from time to time.

Churches in general have a core position that all actors (outside of an extremely limited group of films) are spawn of evil. Only if a small group of the leaders preview a film and then say that it is acceptable will members of that church come - MAYBE.

Cost. Many who wanted the "wholesome" films also were of the opinion that paying more than a quarter to see one was an outrage.

More mouth than money, more mouth than energy to do anything, sometimes just more mouth - full stop.

Many of the requests for wholesome films were more a type of nostalgia than a real request.

Finding the unusual is a little better than it used to be, but not much. Hulu, Youtube, Netflix, https://free-classic-movies.com/ can help. I tried subscribing to "Facets" out of Chicago for DVDs, but most came in broken or were never really available.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:36 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
I personally read the description before watching a netflix or amazon movie. I will also look up actresses or actors, because several can be counted on for good movies. Shirley McClain, Julia Roberts, Goldie Hawn,
A short list off the top of my head...of my fav's:

Step Mother

My Best friends Wedding

Nottinghill

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Steel Magnolia's

Adventures in Babysitting

Christmas Vacation for comedy

Uncle Buck

Old 05-19-2018, 07:39 PM

2,417 posts, read 627,079 times
That Night

13 Going on 30

Second Hand Lions (a really great movie for all ages)

Hitch

The Man From Snowy River

It Takes Two

Old 05-19-2018, 11:01 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Go to eBay and pick up these:

The Enchanted Cottage

Now, Voyager

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

George Washington Slept Here

Pocket Full of Miracles

Laura

Arsenic and Old Lace

Dark Victory

Harvey

Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Murphy's Romance

A Walk in the Clouds

The Holiday

Sleepless in Seattle

You've Got Mail

84 Charing Cross Road

Same Time Next Year

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-21-2018 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or