U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:09 PM

3,007 posts, read 982,783 times

Advertisements

Oh okay. Well if they just would have explained why the geishas felt they had to buy children for sale and raise them compared to just being geishas themselves and forget about raising children, then I would have understood more, since raising children to eat up your profits, only to have them compete against each other and bring the business down, does not make sense economically.

Plus the narrator goes on so much about how she is going to find her sister, but the movie halfway through, totally forgets about the sister, and we never see her again. I assume this was intentional, and that she was not meant to see the sister again, but why build up to it so much, if it was meant to be forgotten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM

21,495 posts, read 22,741,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay. Well if they just would have explained why the geishas felt they had to buy children for sale and raise them compared to just being geishas themselves and forget about raising children, then I would have understood more, since raising children to eat up your profits, only to have them compete against each other and bring the business down, does not make sense economically.
You're on the internet, so you can do research on this yourself. Most of us haven't seen the movie or read the book in years. A geisha house would buy unwanted children and raise them as geishas because more inventory of trained entertainers would ultimately bring in more clientele and make more money for the house. Clients wanted to see new girls regularly, and it was not a lifetime career--women could age out of favor fairly quickly.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:50 PM

17,820 posts, read 3,594,226 times
Quote:

Plus the narrator goes on so much about how she is going to find her sister, but the movie halfway through, totally forgets about the sister, and we never see her again. I assume this was intentional, and that she was not meant to see the sister again, but why build up to it so much, if it was meant to be forgotten?

I can just imagine it would be hard to follow along in the movie if you had not read the book. It's a subject I knew nothing about before reading the book...I'd have been lost with the movie...

Would love to see the costumes etc in the movie, though...

Old 05-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're on the internet, so you can do research on this yourself. Most of us haven't seen the movie or read the book in years. A geisha house would buy unwanted children and raise them as geishas because more inventory of trained entertainers would ultimately bring in more clientele and make more money for the house. Clients wanted to see new girls regularly, and it was not a lifetime career--women could age out of favor fairly quickly.
But this is what I do not understand is, if you take children off the street and raise them that way, they are just going to be super competitive and bring the whole geisha house down, which is what happens in the movie. How can geisha house runners, not see that coming? Wouldn't it make more sense for a house to take in volunteer geishas, rather than wasting money and time, developing unwanted children into doing it? Why not just hire, instead of kidnap and force basically? This part of the movie is never explained.

They also never explain why these women have to become geishas to attract rich men anyway. They are really goodlooking women and could seduce any rich man, so why be so desperately competitive over it, like you're going to die if you don't? This part is not explained as well.

I did research but the research just explains, the who, what, where, etc. It doesn't really explain the why so far, which is why I couldn't make sense of it, cause the why is the most important part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I can just imagine it would be hard to follow along in the movie if you had not read the book. It's a subject I knew nothing about before reading the book...I'd have been lost with the movie...

Would love to see the costumes etc in the movie, though...
But since when you do you have to read the book to understand the movie? I understood the movies of The Godfather, Jaws, Jurassic Park, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc, without reading the books first, so why is this movie the exception to the rule, that the filmmakers felt they had to leave out all this story information that the book has, when other movies based off books, do not do that?

Old 05-20-2018, 02:53 PM

4,253 posts, read 1,574,352 times
As I usually do for movies made from books, I read the book first, so was somewhat "educated" about geisha culture before seeing it. Such a secretive different culture takes that time. Yes, the movie had beautiful moments that brought emotional parts of the book to life more vividly, but to really get the messages you have to invest the time in the book. Very enjoyable really.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Well it's the movie has a narrator telling the story and I felt they just could have taken more time for the narrator to get into more of it, rather than just give a quick, vague summary of it, leaving holes in the background, or so I thought.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:11 PM

5,837 posts, read 3,777,526 times
My wife liked this movie spa I did see a few scenes from it. But that's all. My guess about why the children would be that someone has to do the chores around the Geisha house to keep it clean, etc. I might consider it an apprenticeship of sorts for the young girls.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:15 PM

But the children consider being a geisha such an an honor, like you are winning the nobel prize or an academy award or something, even though the people who bought the children do not think of much of them, so they never explain why the children are so amazed by this geisha lifestyle.

Basically I just thought the culture was extremely petty, with characters who have petty goals, which made me fail to understand it and get behind the characters, and all. I needed a reason to get behind the pettiness, and the movie was not giving me one, so I didn't understand the significance of the journey therefore.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:35 PM

4,117 posts, read 3,400,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yes, there would be a need to bring in young girls to groom them for the Geisha life.

Quote:
But since when you do you have to read the book to understand the movie? I understood the movies of The Godfather, Jaws, Jurassic Park, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc, without reading the books first, so why is this movie the exception to the rule, that the filmmakers felt they had to leave out all this story information that the book has, when other movies based off books, do not do that?
Maybe (and I presume) because it is a culture you're not familiar with.

I have read the book and as others have said it was better than the movie but I enjoyed the movie as well.

The History and Culture of Japanese Geisha

A long standing stigma has been placed on Japanese Geisha girls. When someone thinks of a Geisha, they think of a glorified prostitute or call girl. This is far from the truth. Geisha’s are entertainers, and they are trained vigorously in art, music and dancing. If you translate Geisha into English, you get artist.

Being a true Geisha is an honor to the girls, who when they become full-fledged Geisha’s are then called geiko. If a girl begins her training to be a geisha before she is 21, she is called a maiko, meaning child dancer.

History Undressed: The History and Culture of Japanese Geisha

Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM

4,253 posts, read 1,574,352 times
Quote:
But the children consider being a geisha such an an honor, like you are winning the nobel prize or an academy award or something, even though the people who bought the children do not think of much of them, so they never explain why the children are so amazed by this geisha lifestyle.

Basically I just thought the culture was extremely petty, with characters who have petty goals, which made me fail to understand it and get behind the characters, and all. I needed a reason to get behind the pettiness, and the movie was not giving me one, so I didn't understand the significance of the journey therefore.
Remember, this was a glimpse into a very long-standing insular tradition on the cusp of the cultural upheaval of WWII. Context matters. If you want to understand more, don't ask here, READ THE BOOK! It was written for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or