Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, but there still more questions than answers. What makes a geisha violinist for example, more of a celebrity compared to a non-geisha violinist who is just as musically talented?
Read the book. Do you really expect to get the detailed questions you have answered from a Hollywood adaptation of a book? The film is made to tell an entertaining story that will bring in revenue, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 04:24 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,985 times
But I think that the movie should sell me on it's own terms, as that is what a movie is suppose to do, isn't it?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But I think that the movie should sell me on it's own terms, as that is what a movie is suppose to do, isn't it?
All I can say, for my part, is that I was "sold" on the movie from the get-go. I found it to be alluring, endearing, as well as sad and joyful at times, a glimpse into a time and culture that I was unaware of. Also, I have seen many historical movies of different cultures and in different periods of time and history and I have been entertained by all of them. But that's me and obviously not you...and that's okay.

I am sure somewhere in this thread an explanation or many explanations have been proffered but so far you have remained steadfast in your opinion that you just don't get it, any of it.

This explained a lot to me after I had seen the movie, may have already been posted.

Memoirs of a Geisha

The novel, told in first person perspective, tells the story of a fictional geisha working in Kyoto, Japan, before and after World War II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoirs_of_a_Geisha

Old 06-17-2018, 11:43 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,985 times
Okay thanks. I think the main problem is, is that the man character is all happy to be in this geisha culture and acts like a very optomistic Cinderella, rather than being upset about the fact that she was kidnapped and taken away from her sister and forced into this lifestyle. I feel that if she just would have played it more negatively, it would have gotten me to connect more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies