U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2018, 07:50 PM
 
2,959 posts, read 966,342 times
Reputation: 931

Advertisements

I watched the movie and I felt it failed to draw me into this world and it left me scratching my head at a lot of it.

I don't know much about Japanese culture, but I felt like they were making too big of a deal about this whole geisha thing, and the women were just way too fanatical about it. Plus I didn't understand why they would buy children from the streets and raise them as geishas, because that is just going to cause them all to compete against each other and sabotage each other, so therefore, you cannot make a business out of that?

It would make more sense to go into business for yourself, rather than buy and raise a bunch of competitors. At least that is what I took from the movie and I did not understand the characters goals, cause they were so petty, yet they were so fanatic about them, and I could not get behind them or their cause as a result.

SPOILER

I also felt the ending was forced, as in the main character, it turned out, was seaking the effections of the chairman all her life, and everything she did was to get him in the end. I was thinking what??? And the chairman felt the same way all along and I was just in disbelief of this whole thing. Just because he bought her some food when she was a kid, I did not see this as enough for her to chase after him with every decision in life she makes was for him. It was trying to be all Cinderella-ish and romantic, when it was all just so petty I thought.

And I didn't buy into the chairman feeling the same way, cause he we hardly see this character development, and the few scenes that he is in, are from the main character's POV, so his motives are very hidden, and therefore feel like a super convenience for the ending, rather than being properly built up.

Plus you never really buy that she needs to become a geisha to get a rich man. I mean again the movie doesn't explain the culture much and expects the viewer to take a lot at face value. But the main character is played by gorgeous Ziyi Zhang, why would she need to go through so much practice, to get a rich guy? I mean if the main character was played by someone like say... Margaret Cho, I would see where she maybe would feel that she needed to up her game more. But we have someone as goodlooking as Ziyi Zhang upping her game so much, for money that is just going to go back to the people who bought her anyway. Why?

But that is just what I took from the movie, on a first viewing. What did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
12,131 posts, read 8,102,399 times
Reputation: 8609
Good movie but itís no surprise that you didnít like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 07:03 AM
 
Location: So Ca
13,879 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Reputation: 11808
The book was better than the film (as usual).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Reputation: 45139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I watched the movie and I felt it failed to draw me into this world and it left me scratching my head at a lot of it.

I don't know much about Japanese culture, but I felt like they were making too big of a deal about this whole geisha thing, and the women were just way too fanatical about it.
That's a telling statement. Use this opportunity of curiosity to either read the original book, or do some research on geisha culture and social structure in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Olympia area (for now)
1,059 posts, read 350,574 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The book was better than the film (as usual).
Agreed, the book was good, movie just ok. Iron Pony should read the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Reputation: 22612
Didn't see the film but the book was wonderful....should I not bother seeing the movie..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Denver area
21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Reputation: 35503
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Didn't see the film but the book was wonderful....should I not bother seeing the movie..?
Loved the book. The movie was disappointing. So yes, my opinion would be to not bother with the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 09:36 AM
 
958 posts, read 395,223 times
Reputation: 1627
The trailer was killer. Just watch that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 10:49 AM
 
2,959 posts, read 966,342 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's a telling statement. Use this opportunity of curiosity to either read the original book, or do some research on geisha culture and social structure in Japan.
But I feel the movie could have explained more for the viewers benefit rather than leaving the viewer confused for the whole movie, only to have to do research and backtrack after. The movie has a narrator so why didn't she just explain the culture and what was actually going on? All she does is offer very vague summaries, with holes in her own stories.

Plus after researching, I read that the movie and book were criticized for misrepresenting the culture and giving an incorrect view on geisha life. So if that's true, then perhaps realistic research doesn't help much as I still find myself scratching my head, at a lot of the plot.

As for reading the book instead, well this is the movie forum, so I thought I would talk about the movie on it's own terms instead, if that's okay .

Another thing with the movie is that the actors didn't really speak the best English so I had to have a lot of it on subtitles, which kills the reason to have actors speak in English in the first place. This doesn't necessarily bring the movie down at all, it just makes the decision to make in English, a moot decision perhaps.

Last edited by ironpony; 05-20-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Denver area
21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Reputation: 35503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But I feel the movie could have explained more for the viewers benefit rather than leaving the viewer confused for the whole movie, only to have to do research and backtrack after. The movie has a narrator so why didn't she just explain the culture and what was actually going on? All she does is offer very vague summaries, with holes in her own stories.

Plus after researching, I read that the movie and book were criticized for misrepresenting the culture and giving an incorrect view on geisha life. So if that's true, then perhaps realistic research doesn't help much as I still find myself scratching my head, at a lot of the plot.

As for reading the book instead, well this is the movie forum, so I thought I would talk about the movie on it's own terms instead, if that's okay .

Another thing with the movie is that the actors didn't really speak the best English so I had to have a lot of it on subtitles, which kills the reason to have actors speak in English in the first place. This doesn't necessarily bring the movie down at all, it just makes the decision to make in English, a moot decision perhaps.


The above is the gist of the reason it is very difficult to make a movie based on a good book. At least a good movie, and one that has the same depth and detail as the book - compacted into a 2-3 hour format.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-20-2018 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top