U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:23 AM

1,608 posts, read 688,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
99% of the general movie-going public doesn't care.

Lucasfilm needs to wake up. If they are making a Boba Fett movie, then they are making a movie for die-hard fans, because the die-hard fans are the only ones who give a flying Fett. If they want to make a movie that appeals to general audiences, then a Boba Fett origin story is just about the dumbest thing they could do.
And 100% of the general movie going public knew the fate of the Titanic and it ended up being the 2nd largest grossing movie of all time.....so what’s your point other than YOU think it’s a “dumb” idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 07:06 AM

15,080 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
And 100% of the general movie going public knew the fate of the Titanic and it ended up being the 2nd largest grossing movie of all time.....
People didn't go to watch the boat sink. They went to watch the heroes and villains. The boat itself was just the canvass. That is why people went to go see it over and over and over.

Quote:
... so what’s your point other than YOU think it’s a “dumb” idea.
See above. Lucasfilm doesn't seem to be asking, "What GREAT story can we show?" They seem to be asking, "What product can we produce?"

Could a great writer/director make a great Boba Fett movie? Sure. But given the lacklustre quality of the past few STAR WARS movies, I don't get the impression that quality story is anyone's top priority at Lucasfilm.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:19 AM

1,608 posts, read 688,458 times
Quote:
People didn't go to watch the boat sink. They went to watch the heroes and villains. The boat itself was just the canvass. That is why people went to go see it over and over and over.
That’s my point.

I don’t have high expectations for a Boba Fett movie but I wouldn’t call it a dumb idea or wish it to “flop”. Rogue One actually surprised me with how well the plot held my attention.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
99% of the general movie-going public doesn't care.

Lucasfilm needs to wake up. If they are making a Boba Fett movie, then they are making a movie for die-hard fans, because the die-hard fans are the only ones who give a flying Fett. If they want to make a movie that appeals to general audiences, then a Boba Fett origin story is just about the dumbest thing they could do.
There is probably a good movie to be made about Boba Fett--Clone Wars has already begun his backstory as an angry youth who has fallen into the bounty hunter world.

But such a movie should go to their streaming service, not to the theaters. For that matter, Solo (which is a quite serviceable middle-of-the-road heist movie) would be better received if it had premiered on their streaming service. Venue matters, as we saw with Bright.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:14 AM

15,080 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
I don’t have high expectations for a Boba Fett movie but I wouldn’t call it a dumb idea or wish it to “flop”.
I don't hope it flops. I hope it will be the greatest movie ever made. But hope and optimism are two different things.

My point is that Lucasfilm is going about their STAR WARS movies in all the wrong ways. Franchise films are done much the same way franchise novels are done. The studio heads (or editors in the case of books) come up with an idea for a movie (or line of novels) about XYZ. They then hire someone to make it. It's a product. It's a widget. And it rarely produces quality stories.

A much smarter approach would be for Lucasfilm to approach a writer or director who is talented and hungry, ask him or her, "If you could make the best STAR WARS movie ever made, what would it be? Pitch it." If the pitch is a good idea, go with it. Make it happen. Trust the artist to make great art. Don't hire a mercenary to churn out another product that you came up with at a bored meeting (not a typo).

I'm hoping this is exactly what happened with the trilogy Rian Johnson has in the works. But again, hope and optimism are two different things. Based on what Johnson gave us in THE LAST JEDI, I am no longer optimistic that he is a good fit for STAR WARS.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
There is no reason for this honestly. We know where Boba Fett came from. We get the basic reason why he became a bounty hunter in the first place. Heck, we even know where he got his ship. There really is no reason for him to have his own film. If anything, I would have liked to have seen him as a supporting character in the Solo film. I think that was a missed opportunity.
Yours is a fan's perspective. I was looking at it from the studio's (i.e. $$$$$$) perspective.

If they are going to mine the established characters for source material, a prominent yet very underutilized one is the way to go.

And it might work. Nothing is ever going to equal the first 3 films. You cannot go home again.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM

6,178 posts, read 1,500,623 times
Dont get me wrong I LOVE star wars, but to be honest, I doubt anything will ever come around in my lifetime, that will be better or more popular than the original...what does that say about movies in general though...all the great ideas came about in the 1970s and 80s and it just ended there? LOL

Why has there not been something else (since star wars) that comes close to its popularity?

I guess its kind of like all the great inventors of the past, Like Tesla, Edison, Bell, etc. We do not see people like this anymore, or even see great, totally groundbreaking inventions anymore. it seems we have plateaued so to speak.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:50 PM

5,593 posts, read 2,429,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why has there not been something else (since star wars) that comes close to its popularity?
Tropes happen: the High Noon flavor of Westerns; the Hero's Journey; the Good Guy/Girl (almost) always wins; material that never gets overly dark.

As far as film franchises based on books go, the movies based on Lord of the Rings proved very popular. Infinity War breaking records set by The Force Awakens shows there can be a cinematic franchise that is nearly as popular. Maybe Star Wars has had its day.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:23 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,395,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yours is a fan's perspective. I was looking at it from the studio's (i.e. $$$$$$) perspective.

If they are going to mine the established characters for source material, a prominent yet very underutilized one is the way to go.

And it might work. Nothing is ever going to equal the first 3 films. You cannot go home again.
If anything, I'd like to see a film based solely on one of the bad guys, and I'm not talking about that Anakin crap already done or some random bounty hunter. I'd like to see a film on Darth Maul or Count Dooku, or Thrawn (from comics, cartoons, books) all from the perspective of the empire.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:33 PM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If anything, I'd like to see a film based solely on one of the bad guys, and I'm not talking about that Anakin crap already done or some random bounty hunter. I'd like to see a film on Darth Maul or Count Dooku, or Thrawn (from comics, cartoons, books) all from the perspective of the empire.
That's not going to sell well to the general movie audience, unless they do a good tragedy and kill the main character or else turn his heart. That's not possible at this point with Maul, Dooku, or Thrawn.

Disney needs to get completely away from the Skywalker saga and build on characters they've already developed for television.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or